Any probs w/ the Roe S/C ??

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2000 creampuff. W/O internal mods (piston change)...Am I headed for trouble?? Oh yea...I drive my car ! So Im talkin long term.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a thread going just for ROE s/c owners. You should do a search for it. Good info on the good and the bad. Roe's system is supposed to be safe at 5psi for the cast pistons.

OP
OP
P

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea , Im aware of the thread. I guess I just want to know the # of folks that have experienced the "bad". I have a great dependable viper now....I don't wanna f--- it up ! John.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a lot of fine tuning has resolved most of the big issues that were coming up, but I think a lot of resolved problems keep getting brought up and clouding the current picture.

It would be interesting to get the view point of people who have just recently installed the Roe SC with all the fixes in place at the start of their project to see how smooth their initial installs have gone. Perhaps some ROE SC newbies can post their recent experiences.

--- Ken

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be interesting to get the view point of people who have just recently installed the Roe SC with all the fixes in place at the start of their project to see how smooth their initial installs have gone. Perhaps some ROE SC newbies can post their recent experiences.

Bigtime! I am one phone call away from ordering a charger. Yet everywhere I look all I here is positive things. But there have been apparent problems with certain tuner SC's. If I had problems with a product that I had purchased then I would gladly post it here and say exactly what went well and what didn't. I would hope that everyone here thinks the same way. It shows respect towards other Viper owners; respect towards prospective buyers; rewards the tuner who has delivered a great product; and identifies the tuners with challenges.

Now, someone say something nice so I can buy a SC :D

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scheduled for Roe S/C install in September. :D I would also like to hear what issues are still outstanding? Won't change my mind but I would like to know what I am in for. :smirk:

Bandit400

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the recurring issues (none of which were too serious anyway) have pretty much been resolved, and the new VEC2 software allows for custom tuning that should really be nice for maximizing power with a good safe a/f ratio. A few bits of advice that will at least be worth what you're paying for them:

1. Make sure you or your tech carefully connects/crimps the injector connectors, and consider going with the aftermarket MSD connectors to avoid misfires.

2. If you have a newer car, consider going with Sean's performance PCM (which I think is the same as a '96 PCM), especially if you're going to run headers and/or drop the cats. The performance PCM is far less prone to set codes (misfire and otherwise), and you won't need to fool with your front O2 sensors if you install headers or install O2 sims if you drop the cats either.

3. DO spend the $70 for the crankshaft pin kit and get your crank pinned as part of the install. It's very cheap insurance, and while we can debate the reason some people's crankshaft pulleys & balancers have come off ad infinitum (e.g., installer error, etc.), why worry about it when you can pin it and forget it?

You can't go wrong with any of the blowers coming from the well-known tuners.

Twosnakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean up-dated my Vec 2 and the performance is great.
Its nice to have the Rev limiter back!
He is an honest, no BS , Guy.
WOW is that still possible?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to Jacksonville to look at a 99, buy it, and have Sean install all the go fast parts, but after Sean inspected the car(thanks again Sean), he gave me the bad news. Don't want to go into it here, but needless to say, if it wasn't for seans' keen eye, I would be stuck with a possible nightmare. Sean is A-1 period, and I still hope to get him a car soon. He is the only way I will go.

Mike

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
more updates please ! - I am also still seriously considering a s/c (either Roe or Paxton)

I am leaning towards Roe because of Sean's personal touch and it seems his kit does little to permanently alter the car (e.g., no need to tap the oil pan, drill multiple holes, etc.) - can also be installed / de-installed much quicker than the Paxton unit

I too do not want to sacrifice driveability - thus, am hoping most "bugs" are now worked out

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I for the moment am leaning towards the Roe charger for a couple of reasons. The postive feedback, apparent little to no problems with his system, sounds like an easy fellow to deal with and last but certainly no the least the cost. Considering this is big money for a Canadian with the exchange rate, I do have to consider the cost. Now, that being said, I really liked something that I saw on Roes' site. He has about 50 FAQ all towards the charger. I could be wrong, but I think that that information found on his site is really an extension of his service towards his clients. I figure a guy who takes that much time to answer questions if going to be o.k. Paxton has the same deal as posted above and includes the install process.

Redgts made a comment about the pulley. It gives us an idea of what people might define as a "problem". If this is considered a problem, then I have no concerns. That is sort of like buying tires and not having the lug nuts put on well...it has nothing to do with the tire; so in my book it is insignificant and nothing to worry about especially with the keying tool (as indicated by red).

This is a good thread because it is not bashing any tuner. It is a low tone discussion about great points and certain challenges. Any others?

VipeRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have an '00 RT10 with a new Roe SC install (3 months). Sean was great help for my Viper tech who installed his first SC in 1 day. Check engine light came on initially, but it was likely due to loose injector connectors. Crimping helped, but thanks to Sean, the aftermarket connectors seems to have solved problem. Coupled with other mods (including recent 333s -- thanks JonB), it screams! No doubt, DO IT!

Dr. Gordon Vanscoy
Pittsburgh, PA

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michael, just to follow up, I'm not aware of any evidence that the operation of the blower makes the pulley more likely to come loose, and based on Sean's comments about the low drag it creates that seems unlikely. Also, several n/a cars have had their pulleys come off as well. I think the issue is related more to whether the assembly was torqued correctly, whether during a blower install or other engine work or, in some cases, even at the factory. IOW, your analogy about tires and lug nuts is pretty accurate--the only difference is it's easy to check your lug nuts, and not so easy to check your crank bolt, so pin it and forget it!

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As viperrx stated about the misfire codes being caused by the injector connectors, that it seemed many people were having, again not related to the supercharger, they are a factory design flaw, that is nicely upgraded with a 10.00 pack of new connectors. I have had my S/C on now for about 10 months and have had 8000 trouble free miles after the install of the Vec-2. The only quirck it has is on cold start up for about 2 minutes the car will slightly surge (buck). Nothing uncontrolable this may be a slow acting 02 sensor as well.

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I was one of the first creampuff cars to get the VEC2 and supercharger together as a package. At first the car threw a misfire code, although it was not mis-firing. Sean was always available to me or Larry Macedo when we were trying to work out the bugs, as he still is today. After Roe made a change / upgrade to VEC2 and we changed the computer the car ran and has run great. I would say it was, and possibly still is one of the best running supercharged creampuffs out there. Even in the extreme heat and humidity of Florida the car is scary fast. I could have installed the SC by myself, but with my limited time, I wanted to get it right the first time so I took it to Macedo Motorsports. My car drives like it did before, it does run better in cooler weather, but that is true for all cars. The feeling when that little 5 pounds of boost comes on is incredible, when there is an aftercooler or intercooler available I will be the first to try it and maybe another 1-2 lbs of boost. The car shocks all the racers at the 1/4 mile track, because it leaves so hard. It is the best bang for the buck. :usa:

S

SUN RA KAT

I think the recurring issues (none of which were too serious anyway) have pretty much been resolved, and the new VEC2 software allows for custom tuning that should really be nice for maximizing power with a good safe a/f ratio. A few bits of advice that will at least be worth what you're paying for them:

1. Make sure you or your tech carefully connects/crimps the injector connectors, and consider going with the aftermarket MSD connectors to avoid misfires.

2. If you have a newer car, consider going with Sean's performance PCM (which I think is the same as a '96 PCM), especially if you're going to run headers and/or drop the cats. The performance PCM is far less prone to set codes (misfire and otherwise), and you won't need to fool with your front O2 sensors if you install headers or install O2 sims if you drop the cats either.

3. DO spend the $70 for the crankshaft pin kit and get your crank pinned as part of the install. It's very cheap insurance, and while we can debate the reason some people's crankshaft pulleys & balancers have come off ad infinitum (e.g., installer error, etc.), why worry about it when you can pin it and forget it?

You can't go wrong with any of the blowers coming from the well-known tuners.

1. Getting the fuel injector connectors really connected made a huge difference and pretty much perfected everything. I don't have the MSD connectors because my Viper Tech did such a good job with the stock connectors.

2. Sean sent me his performance PCM to try with my 2002 Creampuff, but the stock PCM ran better, so I returned the performance PCM to Sean.

3. Crankshaft pulley torqued to 250 pounds and Lock-Tighted (sp?) with no problems. I have over 4,000 miles on my Viper since the Roe Supercharger was installed.

It's amazing how much better the Viper is with some extra power. With the VEC2.1 I have noticably more power than my dyno run earlier this year with the VEC2.0. I had 324rwHP at 2800 RPM, 350 rwHP at 3100 RPM, 400 rwHP at 3600 RPM, 450 rwHP at 4100 RPM, 500 rwHP at 4600 RPM, 550 rwHP at 5200 RPM, and 580.4 rwHP at the run cut off of 5750 RPM. The rwHP was still going up and I believe if the dyno run had gone to 6000 RPM I would have seen 600 rwHP (all SAE corrected, of course). The HP curve was pretty straight from 2800 (start of dyno run) to 5750 RPMs (end of dyno run).

The torque went like 603.5 at 2800 RPM, 607.6 at 2950 RPM, 550 at 5400 RPM, and 533 at 5750 RPM (dyno cut off). The torque curve was pretty close to a straight line from 2950 to 5750 RPMs.

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lotsa miles on these chargers. I should only do about 3000 miles per year. You guys really ****, every last one of ya. :mad:

You are giving me no reasons why I shouldn't get it, no downfalls, no blown engines, no nothing.

Don't you hate this problems?? :D ;)

Well, with my setup now, I can run 12,20's all day long @ 118 mph. What would be considered a conservative estimate with the Roe charger? I couldn't see any different packages on his site. I see runs of low 11's and 128-129ish.

What I would love to do, is to drive to the dragstrip with the car, no tire change, and drop a 10 sec run (10,99 counts too ;) ), eveyone would be blown away. :eek:

I think this is very doable. Thanks for the eveybody chiming in like this.

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
MHQC,

High 10s are very attainable, the only thing that has kept me out of that arena is the humid summer heat. Last week with a lot of heat soak I was running low to mid 11's, but the track was empty and we were making run after run, no time to cool down. No one was running well, there was a super charged ZO6 that couldn't break out of the twelves as well as a few modified Cobras that could not get into the 11s either. The BFG drag radials are great, I have launched as high as 3500 rpm and dead hooked the car, last week they did not prep the track and the heat brought all the oil up, but I was still leaving at 3000-3200 rpm.

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, ya I was using your "credentials" as an idea of the times I could run. I am a little surprised however that the et's are not lower than they are. There are some guys who can drop 11,80's (Mike Brunton) with a bone stock car, but yet with a charger we gain maybe a second...? I am still learning alot about drag racing, but I thought 10's would be easy.

Actually when you consider this post, anybody reading this who does not have a Viper but wants one, probably thinks we are all nuts. Here we (I) are dissapointed about high 10 second runs with a street legal car. Somebody bring me back to reality. ;)

OP
OP
P

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im consistent 12.00's 11.90's...all depends on sixt foot time..A good set of slicks can get you 11.40's..Whats even better about these cars...they are very dependable and on pump gas ! Yea, you can get a Z06 to beat it or even a cobra...but at the end of the day, I still have one baddazz chick MAGNET ! W/ mucho **** factor.

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but at the end of the day, I still have one baddazz chick MAGNET ! W/ mucho **** factor

lol! I pulled up to the local hotspot not long ago where they only allow about 3 hot cars to park in the front of the bar. Anyway I pull in, and the valet says "do you mind if we leave your car in front"? I said sure. Then started having a couple of beer on the patio just in front. Anyway at least 7 stangs and 5 camaros stopped to try to park, and the valet just kept waving them on. It was funny as hell because one guy got out and started chewing out the valet.

Come to think of it, chicks don't really care about 1/4 times and 60 footers eh? I never once picked up a girl by saying "I ran a 12,24 today baby". But I have by saying, "you want a ride in that black car over there"? :D

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some guys who can drop 11,80's (Mike Brunton) with a bone stock car, but yet with a charger we gain maybe a second...? I am still learning alot about drag racing, but I thought 10's would be easy.

As the times decrease it's a logarithmic progression in terms of needed hp, increased aerodynamic drag, etc., not a linear one. That's why a 2,000 hp car may run low 6's but it takes 6,000 hp to run low 5's in the same car. You don't need 3x the hp to shave off a second in the 10-11 second range, but 10% more (the difference in elapsed time) sure isn't going to do it either! IOW, shaving a full second in the 10-11 second range (assuming you leave everything else essentially the same and only increase hp) is a ton!! The bolt-on only Roe record appears to be 1Tony's 10.48 on slicks, so a 10.99 on some kind of street tire should definitely be doable, particularly with aftercoolers and such on the horizon.