Any reason to keep factory wheels after upgrading?

Harley561

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, I searched for other threads on this and found nothing. I have an SRT coupe with the stock 5 spokes and am in the process of moving to a 19/20 set up.

My local shop offered to purchase the stock wheels/tires to offset the cost of the new package...price TBD.

The only reason I see to keep the stock set up is for the one day that I decide to sell the car and that it might appeal to a larger crowd with the factory wheels.

With all that being said....would appreciate knowing if you kept your factory wheels after upgrading and why.

Thanks in advance.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some keep, some sell to offset the cost as you mentioned. It's all personal preference.

I do know the 5 spokes will fetch a decent penny.

:usa:

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am hanging onto mine. 5 spokes are not that common compared to the 6 or 10 spoke razors or the original 10 spokes.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 spokes are very popular. Unless they are offering over $2k for them, I wouldn't sell it to them, because all they are going to do is turn right around and sell it for even more than that, on eBay (if they are in good condition).

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sold mine and upgraded to the sidewinder wheels, which I painted. Actually wound up breaking close to even when it was all done (even after the cost of painting). I don't see any reason to keep the OE wheels unless you upgraded to some wildly custom wheel. They're worth thousands (not hundreds) and that's a lot of $ to keep around the garage collecting dust (as far as I'm concerned).

OP
OP
H

Harley561

Viper Owner
Reaction score
5 spokes are very popular. Unless they are offering over $2k for them, I wouldn't sell it to them, because all they are going to do is turn right around and sell it for even more than that, on eBay (if they are in good condition).

Since I am still new to this....would the $2K figure you mention include the run flats or is that figure for the wheels alone? Thanks.

OP
OP
H

Harley561

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And just to clarify....in case it matters...I see now (after posting) that there are two variations of the 5 spoke wheels. One with a small lip and one where the spokes go out to the edge of the rim.

I have the style with the spokes that go out to the edge (2008 wheel?)...i.e. no lip. Make a difference in how desireable they are?

Last edited:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I am still new to this....would the $2K figure you mention include the run flats or is that figure for the wheels alone? Thanks.

And just to clarify....in case it matters...I see now (after posting) that there are two variations of the 5 spoke wheels. One with a small lip and one where the spokes go out to the edge of the rim.

I have the style with the spokes that go out to the edge (2008 wheel?)...i.e. no lip. Make a difference in how desireable they are?

The OE wheel that you have is commonly called a "long spoke" (a Jon B coined term). The "short spoke" version is the sidewinder which is the OE wheel for the ACR (in black) and the copperhead (polished) if memory serves .

The long 5 spoke wheels should be good for over $2G's without the tires - just the wheels (in like new condition). 2 Years ago, the long spoke set was slightly more expensive than the lighter sidewinder. No idea why then and no idea what's up with the comparable pricing now.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The main reasons for keeping the stock rims are;

a) to put them back on the car when you inevitably sell it or trade it in

b) to run them instead of the aftermarket wheels in inclement weather (snow or salted roads)

c) to run drag radials or stickier tires for the track (there is no 20" drag radial or sticky tire option available)

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, the run flats are going to be of marginal value to most people since they are a very crappy tire. The added shipping cost might be something to consider also.

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I kept my 10 spokers when I bought my 5 long spokers (5 grand at the time).
The 5 spokes are the best looking wheels for the Viper stock.

Keep them, one day you'll tire of your replacements and you can go back to brand new stockers, for a fresh look.

Put them in the attick.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on what wheels you are buying and if and when you sell your car you will buy another Viper and transfer wheels. If that's the case keep them. If you'll sell the new wheels with the car, sell them to offset the cost. That's what I did when I bought my HRE's but I had the dime a dozen 10 spokes and got great money for them. IMHO

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what year your car is, but if they are giving you a fair price why not trade them in. Even if you kept them the tires wouldn't be any good in a couple of years. Like someone said the rims are a dime a dozen on fleabay. IMHO

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There is a school of thought of keeping both , as many folks want the originals. The key can often be on a trade or an individual sale, you keep the ones that either the Dealer or the buyer doesn't want and resell them at that time. With some vehicles ( and 96 Coupe as one example ) would be worth a heck alot more if it had the stock wheels.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always keep my factory wheels for just in cases. God forbid, but I'm sure you'd rather have your car go to repair facility, body shop etc on the factories rather then your pricy aftermarkets correct?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Though a bit bulky, they make for great coasters...and great conversation pieces.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always keep my factory wheels for just in cases. God forbid, but I'm sure you'd rather have your car go to repair facility, body shop etc on the factories rather then your pricy aftermarkets correct?

The main reasons for keeping the stock rims are;

a) to put them back on the car when you inevitably sell it or trade it in

b) to run them instead of the aftermarket wheels in inclement weather (snow or salted roads)

c) to run drag radials or stickier tires for the track (there is no 20" drag radial or sticky tire option available)

All these points are the very reason I decided to keep my factory wheels/tires. Plus H spokes are kind of hard to come by.