Any tips or tricks to tranny/diff. maintenance?

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm about to go to my buddy/mechanic's place tomorrow morning to do the fluid maintenance on my '97 GTS. I bought all the recommended fluids. I'll be using his hydraulic jack and tools. I'm armed with stuff I've read here and the service manual.

I was just wondering whether you guys have any trips or tricks to getting the job done easier....as far as sucking the diff. fluid out, my mechanic says he's got a device to do so. Thanks guys!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No real tricks. If your mechanic has a tool to pull the diff fluid then he knows what he's talking about.

If you grease the fittings wipe the fitting clean BEFORE you put the grease gun on it. And don't over grease.

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No real tricks. If your mechanic has a tool to pull the diff fluid then he knows what he's talking about.

If you grease the fittings wipe the fitting clean BEFORE you put the grease gun on it. And don't over grease.

Thanks Chuck. It seems real basic. Well, time to do it!

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my tip is do it yourself, cheaper and more fun, a real bonding experience.

Yup. Totally agree. I just completed it myself (the only thing I used the mechanic for were his jack and tools :D :D ) Things are just so much more rewarding if you do it yourself...even simple things like oil.

The only thing I gotta do now is the diff. He didn't have the right socket size (he mainly works on Japanese cars)...off to Napa or Home Depot...

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
diff is easy, just do your best to such all the old fluid out of there and make sure you put in the limited-slip additive

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
diff is easy, just do your best to such all the old fluid out of there and make sure you put in the limited-slip additive

Got. Got that small bottle of additive stuff, plus the Mopar differential fluids. I'll get to it tomorrow morning.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just used a crap suction gun from autozone to **** the fluid out. that diff fluid is nasty

for others reading this, the only annoying part of the trans service is removing the skid plate, which is not difficult but is a little awkward and has a few bolts...

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Snampro, do you recall what size the hex socket is? (for the diff.) I'm guessing either 3/8ths or 7/16th. BTW, I don't know whether Gen I and Gen II have the same differential or not.

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The diff is a 3/8 hex. Get the socket head. It took me over 150ft-lbs to get mine off!!!! The diff on mine had the drain plug mod which was great but they must have put the fill plug back on with an air tool. Tranny is simple other than the plate which is still easy with air tools.

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The diff is a 3/8 hex. Get the socket head. It took me over 150ft-lbs to get mine off!!!! The diff on mine had the drain plug mod which was great but they must have put the fill plug back on with an air tool. Tranny is simple other than the plate which is still easy with air tools.

3/8 Hex...sweet. Your a life saver. I spent 2 hours going from hardware store to hardware store looking for a 7/16 hex wrench and for the life of me, I couldn't find one!!! The only places I could find them were at Mcmaster Carr and Snap-on online! They had 7/16 sockets, but not 7/16 wrenches. I have a 3/8 hex ready to go. Yeah, I wish I had the drain plug mod, but looks like I'm gonna have to do it the old fashion way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog