Anybody switch from an SRT to an SRTC?

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious to see if anyone has or intends to switch from the SRT convertible to the coupe - if so, why?

OP
OP
T

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I will respond to my own post - I am thinking of trading my yellow SRT in for a yellow/black stripe SRTC. I think the coupe screams viper and I believe I can live without the convertible option. Could you?

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Before you do this get an up close and personal look at an SRT with the Autoform hardtop. I think much like the C5 FRC looked better than the hatchback version, the SRT with the Autoform hardtop is stunning.

I put mine on two days before leaving for St. Bart's on my honeymoon and I can't wait to get back and take some photos. All my friends were floored and Autoform is the best to deal with.

Again this is all personal preference, but I was a potential coupe buyer until I saw the rear end. I then decided to go convertible with the Autoform top.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, I think the SRT is at its best with the top down. If you make the switch, be prepared to say, "Dam, I think I made a mistake!". You might want to wait until late spring to make this decision.

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually am in the process of ordering a Yellow Copue w/ Black Stripes. I'm not moving from the SRT but from other convertibles. I thought I could NEVER live w/o a vert but the looks of the Coupe keep calling to me. I'm not crazy about the hard top, JMO.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I will respond to my own post - I am thinking of trading my yellow SRT in for a yellow/black stripe SRTC. I think the coupe screams viper and I believe I can live without the convertible option. Could you?

I find myself in an ironic situation. I am not a huge convertible fan but I am drawn to convertibles. I really do not know why. I think the convertible is better. It looks HOT, especially in yellow!!

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I switched. I think the coupe looks better, and I wanted the B/W. I will miss the convertible though. The coupe has less wind noise than the vert with top up. The coupe has great potential for aftermarket sound system because of the hatch - if you are into that stuff. Less hassle if you go to the track - no need for an extra roll bar or 5 point harness if stock.

I was willing to give up the vert for the looks and color of the coupe. The coupe just looks more like a Viper to me...

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
"Before you do this get an up close and personal look at an SRT with the Autoform hardtop"

Best of both worlds...Something you can't do with the coupe...
You must be registered for see images

Keith C

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I actually went the other way. I had a coupe on order but bought the vert. I sat in the coupe last week. I felt boxed in. I know I made the right choice. I have a roll bar for the track and I am thinking about getting a hard top in the spring.

You must be registered for see images

ViprVnm

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm in Southern California and wouldn't trade in my convertible for anything. Just make room for the coupe too. Escalade? Does it really need to go in the garage? Besides your convertible needs a friend! :2tu:

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BIG MISTAKE, BIG MISTAKE, BIG MISTAKE for me nothing like a Convertible. Besides why take a second hit on new car depreciation, just buy a hard top as suggested above if you want that Coupe feel.

OP
OP
T

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The autoform hard top looks great - I will investigate that option as it offers great flexibility of choice. Is the top hard to install and to use i.e. removing it and putting it back on. I really like the way it looks. Thanks guys!

:2tu:

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
"Is the top hard to install and to use i.e. removing it and putting it back on. I really like the way it looks. Thanks guys!"

Takes few minutes to put on or take off, no mods or tools required (soft top stays as is, there if you ever needed it) :2tu:

Martin Kennedy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I made the change. I've got #003/200. I found that in South Texas the summers are to warm to enjoy the convertible. The SRTC seems to get even more attention than my 03. Make the change!!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on another note: I was driving my 98 and my friend has an 05 srt10... I'm serious when I say, nothing looks better than an SRT10 from the side rear 1/4 angle at road height !!!
I could not believe how incredible the SRT10 looked from that angle.....

back on topic... If you can afford it, keep the SRT10 and buy another one...the Coupe!!! Problem solved.. :2tu: :headbang:

OP
OP
T

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys - I think on Monday I will order the top and enjoy the looks and flexibility of open air driving the autoform top provides. I just think the thought of giving up spring/summer/fall open air driving in PA is to much to sacrifice. I appreciate the insight and information you have provided.

JJB500

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nope, I think the SRT is at its best with the top down. If you make the switch, be prepared to say, "Dam, I think I made a mistake!". You might want to wait until late spring to make this decision.
I agree with that, looks it best and love that wind in my hair, At 100 mph plus! :2tu:

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when you order now you can specify whether or not you want the faux window/scallop on the rear personally i like it without

I have to agree. It looks much better without the side cut-out. Here are some pics to compare.

WITH:

5580with_side_cut-out.jpg

WITHOUT:

5580without_side_cut-out.jpg

OP
OP
T

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys - I intend to order the Autoform top on Monday and enjoy the best of both worlds. I also agree with Kenny regarding the C5 fixed roof Z. I will post pictures when the top arrives. One question, can someone detail how the heck the top fits on? Sounds like no bolts, screws or other modifications. Just curious in advance of my call/order tomorrow.

OP
OP
T

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Austin, I am ordering without the side cut outs. Can you tell me how the top is installed? Sounds like it doesnt need any modifications, screws or bolts etc. Thanks

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The top installs really easily and no changes are needed. Comes on and off with two people in five minutes. The first time you put it on, you will need a buddy to help get everything set up right. I know Tony test fits them before they leave, but Viper tolerances ar not that good from car to car and I am still dicking with mine to get it dialed in.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turbo63, you put the soft top down, open the trunk( it has to be open for hard top install) place the hard top over the car, two pins in the front left and right are used as guides and must go in the existing holes, one bracket in the center and two locking pins in the rear left and right and your done... :cool:

OP
OP
T

Turbo63

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds great - can't wait to get the top - clearly the best of both worlds and the autoform top gives the SRT a really freakish, aggressive look to boot! Thanks guys!

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Tony, you still have my address for the commission check right? Just Kidding.

Turbo you are making a great choice. Like I said, I am still dialing my adjustments in for a perfect fit, but it the quality is great and Tony is very easy to deal with.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Austin, I am ordering without the side cut outs. Can you tell me how the top is installed? Sounds like it doesnt need any modifications, screws or bolts etc. Thanks

Im sorry, I dont know how it installs, but it looks like others have posted that know what they're doing. :) Please post pics when you get it installed. It will be the first REAL pics (that I know of) of the Autoform top with NO side cut-outs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21