Anybody using fuel stabilizer?

Bullsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't driven my SRT since I brought it back from Woodhouse (thanks again, Mark!) in November and I'm getting a little concerned about the fuel. I pulled it out of the garage a week ago and fired it up for about 35min. while I blew the snow off of the sidewalk. Here in Iowa we have been getting 3-4" of snow EVERY WEEK for the last three weeks, and with highs in the teens it is all still here. I was just wondering if any of you are adding anything to the fuel before you store your car. My plan is to drive it if the weather and roads ever clear-and I mean clear all the way, but at this rate that might be in March. The last stop I made before coming home to put it in the garage was to top it off with 91 Octane (the highest pump gas available here unless you head down to the Knoxville raceway) non-ethanol.

Please point me in the right direction-I wanna be ready to go when the snow quits!!

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Stabil in project cars while I'm working on them in case I don't have them starting or running for a while. If you're starting your car once a week, you shouldn't have a problem.

That's my $0.02

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
B

Bullsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Aaron! I usually start it only once a month, but I let it run for a good 20-30 min. to make sure the engine, exhaust, and oil all get up to operating temp. I just don't know at what rate today's fuels start to go bad, and if it will last for what will probably end up being another two months. the first day that I do get out on the road with it I plan on driving the whole tank out of it and refilling again with fresh.

Have you had any problems with the Stabil product? That and Seafoam seem like the two big choices out there...

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Sta-bil as well. It will eliminate condensation as well as stabilizing fuel for long term storage. So if your pulling your car out into the cold from a warmer environment (your garage) to fire it up condensation may become an issue. Also, don't know the tempature in your garage, but if Woodhouse put a Paxton in make sure your ambient temp in the garage is above 25 degrees before starting your car. The tolerances in the Paxton are very tight and you will void it's warranty from Paxton if you start the car at or below that temp.

OP
OP
B

Bullsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Fast Too!

The temp in the garage is a constant 68 degrees-the kids and I like to go out there and work on things all through the winter. Every morning on the way down to the office I walk by the red beast and smile-I cannot wait for good weather!!!

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Sta-bil can't hurt and one bottle should last you a few years. I think the Sta-bil also contains a little isopropyl alcohol (gas line anti-freeze) as well to take out moisture from the fuel tank. I think your once a month schedule with a little Sta-bil should do you just fine til it warms up. I try to start and drive my car once a week, but even doing that, my battery is toast after three years....so don't be surprised if your battery suffers the most. You may want to add a "battery tender" to your regimen if you're not already doing that.

Regards,
Aaron

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 50cents, adjusted for inflation.

Sta-bil and a full tank of fuel. Run a few mins to get the Sta-bil into the injectors and fuel system. Then just put it away.

If you are not going to actually drive the car, starting it and running it will not help it, only build up condensation that won't have enough time to burn off.

So,
Fill tank
Add Sta-bil
Run for a few mins
Put away
Add Battery Tender
Wait until spring

OP
OP
B

Bullsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Jerome!
Your method is exactly the path I am going to take. I also purchased a battery tender and will set that up as well, although I will probably put a new battery in it this spring as it is the factory original.

Speaking of, any suggestions for the best replacement battery? I run Optimas in My H1 and Range Rover-would it work well here too?

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 50cents, adjusted for inflation.

Sta-bil and a full tank of fuel. Run a few mins to get the Sta-bil into the injectors and fuel system. Then just put it away.

If you are not going to actually drive the car, starting it and running it will not help it, only build up condensation that won't have enough time to burn off.

So,
Fill tank
Add Sta-bil
Run for a few mins
Put away
Add Battery Tender
Wait until spring

What he said.:2tu:

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Jerome!
Your method is exactly the path I am going to take. I also purchased a battery tender and will set that up as well, although I will probably put a new battery in it this spring as it is the factory original.

Speaking of, any suggestions for the best replacement battery? I run Optimas in My H1 and Range Rover-would it work well here too?

You are welcome, Sir. Hope I was of some help.

Now about the Optima, run, don't walk away from them. After reading, and hearing from people who sell them ( I do at my work), the new ones are junk. No life to them at all. The older ones, hell I heard of people who have 10+ years out of them. New ones, forget about it.

For me, Sears Diehard. Just my 50 cents yet again.

OP
OP
B

Bullsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Point taken, Jerome.

I have had great luck with the Optimas-too bad they went south! I may have to burn that tank off on the way over to Woodhouse some Saturday-it's always fun to see what they have stashed back in the shop, and have them drop an OEM battery back in it while I'm there.

Did I say I can't wait until spring?