Anyone adjust Konis???

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ive searched..........

2000 GTS non-ACR

I tried to adjust my Konis today while installing my Eibachs. I have only 1.75 full turns, or in Koni speak 3.25 half turns. Koni says it should be 5 half turns.

In searching it seems as if most street guys go stiffer in the front...about half as stiff in the rear as they set the front.

Track guys seem to keep them closer to the same all the way around......

Any input??

Why?

Anyone have any comparable results?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know there were a couple of threads on this last year. I tried to search and couldn't find them :(. I will be doing the same thing in Feb. I thought I heard it was best to use stiffer in the rear. Something like 600lbs in the front and 800 in the rear. If one of the track rats could chime in............................... :2tu:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An old thread recently resurfaced with spring rates listed:
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...pring-rates-street-driving-eibachs-going.html

The rear springs are stiffer because they are mounted closer to the pivot points, so their mechanical advantage is not as great as the front springs.

The stiffer rear shocks will "help" the car rear end come around when entering turns. Depending on your driving style, you may want a car that is "loose" so you would stiffen the shocks (and maybe springs.) If you want something more predictable, you want the rear shocks softer.

On the track you could get away with stiffer stuff in the rear because a) tracks are smoother than potholed roads and b) you practice and learn where each bump is. On the road, it might be smarter to stay softer in the rear because you don't know whether you are on a washboard road until it's too late and those kids/Granny/deer don't warn you ahead of time.

The springs can be thought of as front-to-rear balance in a steady state, nice, flat road circle. The shocks can be thought of as front-to-rear balance when entering, bouncing, yanking on the steering wheel.

I autocross and do some track runs and have full stiff front, half in the rear. Any more in the rear and my rear puckers. IMHO

OP
OP
D

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
An old thread recently resurfaced with spring rates listed:
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...pring-rates-street-driving-eibachs-going.html

The rear springs are stiffer because they are mounted closer to the pivot points, so their mechanical advantage is not as great as the front springs.

The stiffer rear shocks will "help" the car rear end come around when entering turns. Depending on your driving style, you may want a car that is "loose" so you would stiffen the shocks (and maybe springs.) If you want something more predictable, you want the rear shocks softer.

On the track you could get away with stiffer stuff in the rear because a) tracks are smoother than potholed roads and b) you practice and learn where each bump is. On the road, it might be smarter to stay softer in the rear because you don't know whether you are on a washboard road until it's too late and those kids/Granny/deer don't warn you ahead of time.

The springs can be thought of as front-to-rear balance in a steady state, nice, flat road circle. The shocks can be thought of as front-to-rear balance when entering, bouncing, yanking on the steering wheel.

I autocross and do some track runs and have full stiff front, half in the rear. Any more in the rear and my rear puckers. IMHO

Tom....thanks. I was actually who sent that thread to the top from the dead. I was hoping to get some feedback from Bruce.

I understand your post and appreciate your input. I was going to set my stock Konis at 2 to 2 1/2 in front and 1 to 1 1/2 in rear off of the 5 half turns. But my shocks dont turn the 5 half turns....adding to my confusion.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you thought about contacting Koni directly to inquire about the issue of number of turns? And can we assume it is all 4 shocks that is the problem?

Uh-oh. My brain just kicked in.

They have 5 settings on each shock right? That would only take 4 half turns to access all of those settings.

Setting 1

-> turn half rotation

Setting 2

-> turn half rotation

Setting 3

-> turn half rotation

Setting 4

-> turn half rotation

Setting 5

So if my math is correct, you only need 2 whole turns if you add up all of the half turns. And you are a quarter turn shy of that total. Or an eighth turn on each end of the spectrum.

Maybe you don't have a problem? :dunno:

GTS Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get the shocks dynoed. I had to set one front at 3/4 turn and the other just over 1-1/8 turn to have them equal. It wasn't much to have them dynoed ($100 for all 4)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom....thanks. I was actually who sent that thread to the top from the dead. I was hoping to get some feedback from Bruce.

I understand your post and appreciate your input. I was going to set my stock Konis at 2 to 2 1/2 in front and 1 to 1 1/2 in rear off of the 5 half turns. But my shocks dont turn the 5 half turns....adding to my confusion.

Give Chuck Tator a call. He installs Eibach's on what seems to be a regular basis and can guide you on the Koni settings that will best suit you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang