Anyone buy from Helmet City...?

DG Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new helmet, and I was wondering how many people have purchased from Helmet City. Looks like a decent place, and supposedly they offered a VCA discount? Do I need to ask for someone to get the discount, or is it pretty simple?

Any insight is appreciated...

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yes, .... and yes!

Bought it from 'em .... and they do offer a 10% discount to VCA members.

FYI: SA2000 is the rating you want.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get it to match your Viper color scheme, it's so subtle, I love stuff like that (completely the opposite of the yellow boys :) ). I know I've complemented to you before, but I figured you were due again.

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A decent Snell SA2000 (car) helmet will run you about $300-400. A really nice one can easily run $650+. Car helmets are VERY different from motorcycle helmets, which are rated with an M-number.

The Snell website has tons of technical details, but the big one is the interior. A motorcycle helmet has very stiff foam designed to keep your head in it's original shape during a single hard impact (e.g. you flying over the handlebars into that f#cking minivan that just ran the redlight). A car helmet has very soft padding designed to keep you from getting too banged up as your head clunks around inside the car during an off-road excursion (possibly involving some tumbling, etc). Also the placement and shape of the pads is different, and the testing & certification process is completely different.

Surely ANY helmet is better than NO helmet, but they are very different beasts...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog