Anyone else get a hole in their oil cooler?

Nasty 10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had my 2001 for less than 2 months. Today I noticed oil on the front air **** . I took the car back to the dealer. They showed me a hole in the oil cooler. Then I get the "this won't be covered under warranty" So I pick my car up tomorrow with a bill for $900-$950
pissed.gif

Has anyone else had an oil cooler get a hole?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$900?!!! That's why I do my own work.

My oil cooler developed a leak where the cooler fitting is pressed into the cooler. I removed it and had it tig welded. I think it cost me $25.

OP
OP
N

Nasty 10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck
I tried to take the car, but they dealer said if I did they would have trouble honoring my 7/70 warranty. They even took photos of the leak and mess on the car. I agree $950 is too much, the cooler (according to them) is $465
mad.gif
the rest is labor.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it cost you $950 to learn which dealer NOT to go to ever again...that does ****, but could save you money in the long run...I'd find a more "viper friendly" dealer...

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nasty 10:
..........So I pick my car up tomorrow with a bill for $900-$950
pissed.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

$950??? Are you going to counseling at your local **** Crisis Center?....Sounds like you got screwed. You should address that to someone higher up in the chain of command. Make more noise and write some letters. What dealer did you go to so we can avoid them.

If the dealer told you it was damaged as a result of debris hitting it then file a claim with your insurance company and let them pay for it under comprehensive coverage (no different then a rock cracking your windshield). A $100 deductible is better then $950. Either way, like Gerald said, find a more "Viper friendly" dealer.

Good luck

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
A piece of wood hit mine square in the middle, and the whole car got covered in oil, top and bottom. Good news is, the car won't develop any rust anytime soon. Serious, though, Dave Jenkins fixed mine, but I don't remember it being anywhere near $950. I think it was several hundred though. Didn't report it under comprehensive, 'cause they use that as an excuse to raise your rates, or cancel you. (been there, done that)

OP
OP
N

Nasty 10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took it to Hartzeim (San Jose) because that's where I purchased the car. I was thinking it wouldn't cost me anything, since the car is less than 2 months old. They did complete the job in 1 day and I paid the $900
pissed.gif
I still have a small oil leak(s)
mad.gif
I was hoping it was just oil left from the previous leak. I put the car on jack stands and cleaned under the car. I took the car for a drive and oil is under the car again! Back to the dealer again
pissed.gif