Anyone else Glad there no longer making GTS's?

james97gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else Glad there no longer making GTS\'s?

All talk about the new SRT and how some like it and some hate it. I really don't care. I personally wouldn't buy one. They don't have the stunning looks as our vipers do. I'm glad there no longer making GenII cars anymore. Our vipers should only maintain their values more. Someone on this board posted that there are less vipers around then Ferrari's. Thats awesome. I know that all cars drop in price but I don't think they will drop that much as some people might think. If people wouldn't sell their vipers for so cheap we wouldn't have horrible prices as we do now. I always wondered why anyone would want to sell their viper? Unless your really ******* cash, what better car is out there. Ferrari's for the money are a joke. I know some people get tired of cars fast but come on, vipers are awesome. It't nice driving something like you don't see everyday.
James

NJVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Anyone else Glad there no longer making GTS\'s?

Totally agree. I had posted, according to the statistics I see online, there are less than 13,000 to-date that have been produced. And no offense to the poor unfortunate people who have experienced devastating auto accidents, this total number is decreasing.
I personally do not like the new design either, but to each their own.
However, I did like the GTS-R concept (coupe) car someone had posted.
I am still amazed at the reactions I get from people especially when I drive (purposely) through the aristocratic town of Princeton...worth every penny just to see the reactions...

Patrick99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I also agree that it is nice to take out your viper and not see another one all night. I also agree if Sellers wouldn't keep on lowering their price and taking whatever for the car then our prices would remain high like they should be.

Walt McFarland

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guys;

Absolutely agree. An awesome and very rare car is about to get rarer--over time.

A thing I've noted about a shakey economy is that high end cars are among the first things to suffer. I just noticed a post on the porsche website in which a guy who gave $202K for a GT2 earlier this year couldn't sell it for $160K on eBay. Singing the blues in porshce land my friends.

The value of our cars will be back. I wonder how may GTS's remain? I'm betting well under 10K.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not a flame, but I Completely disagree with all of the above posts as I see this as a lack of opportunity for myself and anyone else in my position to acquire a new Hardtop Viper. All prices eventually drop as so nicely stated in the above posts, but as a soon to be ACR owner, the only available option will be to purchase a "previously enjoyed" ACR car.

Jay K.

Patrick99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JKG95
The reason you disagree is because you don't have a viper and you want the the prices to keep on dropping so you can afford one. I see what your saying but I would still like them to remain high.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am about to buy my second RT/10. I hope prices hit rock bottom the day I buy and promptly begin rising.
supergrin.gif

Tommy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Walt McFarland:
An awesome and very rare car is about to get rarer--over time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just as long as people keep wrecking them
laugh.gif

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Think of it this way...

Its Christmas 1967, and we've all got 427 Corvettes. The new 1968 Corvette is out, and prices for the '67s are dropping. But if you were one of the idiots that traded your '67 for a '68 (despite the "improvements" to the new model), you'd have been kicking yourself 5 years later. We've got a classic that isn't going to be made again ever. The Daimler boys made sure of that!

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Keep in mind that the "big bucks" associated with all the various collector cars are for the "concours" cars that have not been driven.

An undriven 89 Turbo Firebird may approach $30k, while one with 120k on it can be had for $5k.

What will help Viper is that it doesn't have a replacement, nor may it ever.

The people who bot Vipers and got scared of them, will not put miles on them and will sell them. This will provide a intermediate supply of low mileage cars.

Vipers will then be accumulated by those who want to drive/enjoy them and those that want to mothball them.

The drivers will never be worth a lot and the museum pieces will bring the big bucks. The 1st and the last will always be worth the big bucks with 100 miles on them.

Personally, I like them very ripe. The Viper jalope offers me the most cubic fun per unit dollar.

There just isn't any point of keeping a Viper in mothballs if you enjoy the car!

As far as criticizing the sellers dropping their prices, I would criticize the buyers. They are uneducated, partly, because of so many low miles Vipers. A Viper that goes 10k a year promotes Viper as much as 10 Vipers that go 1k a year.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">You'll wish they were still in production when you break that critical "no longer available" part.</FONT f>

Patrick99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Opnwide,
Totally Agree with you on the those who sold wish they didn't.
I think alot that sold now for the SRT might regret also.
Patrick

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't see the point in worrying about their value if you never plan to sell.

People sell cheap because they have to, not becase they enjoy losing money.

Why the hell are you guys so worried about what other people do with their cars? you have your car, enjoy it, who gives a crap what it's worth. You don't know the situations of teh people that are being forced to sell cheap, there could be a sudden sickness, a kid going away to college a year early, a new kid being born, someone loses their job. This presents an opportunity for someone to pick up a car cheaper than they thought. would you pay more if you didn't have to? If you're so concerned start a "Viper Value foundadtion" pool your $$ together and buy up all the "cheap" used vipers and hold them ransom for 50K and up. Makes sense doesn't it?

I highly doubt that "poor" people are waiting for vipers to touch the low 40K's so they can have one, rich people with millions can do just the same, tehy just may be a little more stingy with how they spend it because maybe earning it wasn't all that easy.

I really with this crap about "people stop selling cheap so my car is worth more" is just outright selfish and retarted.

Patrick99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I wanted a cheap car I would have bought a mustang and slapped a blower on it. One of the perks to buying the viper was its price and rareness. Nobody wants to start a Viper Value Foundation craig.

OP
OP
J

james97gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is kind of weird. Just last night I was filling up gas at a Mobil and a guy drives up to me in a cavalier and starts talking to me about the viper. The first word out of his mouth was "Why would you buy a viper, they hold their value like **** ."
I said I guess and drove off. I don't know if this has anything to do what we were talking about but it was just weird. Instead of saying he liked the viper or disliked it he said that.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by james97gts:
This is kind of weird. Just last night I was filling up gas at a Mobil and a guy drives up to me in a cavalier and starts talking to me about the viper. The first word out of his mouth was "Why would you buy a viper, they hold their value like **** ."
I said I guess and drove off. I don't know if this has anything to do what we were talking about but it was just weird. Instead of saying he liked the viper or disliked it he said that.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's just trying to get under your skin, lotsa jackazzes like that. Most are just jealous, I use it to motivate myself to get through school and afford one or four one day!

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Craig,

You put the response down perfectly. Patrick, having the option removed from me that I can't buy a new car FORCES me to buy used. I simply stated that at least having the option to buy new would be very appealing. Regardless, this is an enjoyable post with Craig's response being the only response for those of us who are soon to be owners. Tom-- where was your post going with the buyers being the one who should be critiziced?

Cheers,

Jay K.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

OPNWIDE said it all. For those of us that grew up in the 60's and 70's ,we remember the excitement the new 68 Vette ( Mako Shark ) brought. The funny thing, I remember is how alot of Vette owner seemed to feel it was too much of a departure. We are having the same passionate discussion all over again, but the amazing thing is there are even fewer Vipers out there in comparison to the Mid Year Vettes. The numbers being bandied around of total built, numbers wrecked or turned into race cars, and cars that are overseas or in Canada, means that the 10,000 total number is surprisingly , probably closer to reality than we all realize. As
a dealer , you always will have some say you are biased, but I can honestly say I never had as many collectors call and buy cars as they have this year. With a down economy , that speaks volumnes, and the example ( of why they were purchasing a Viper now ) I kept hearing was a reiteration of opnwide's thoughts. We do all own a very rare car, but as we also live in our own little passionate world with other Viperholics , and we sometimes fail to see our disease. We own something special and I believe time will prove it to be more rare than we ever envisioned!

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

RCONAWAY:
In my humble opinion and I know I am going to get blasted for this, the Viper is NOT a daily driver. A Vette? Yes, but not a viper. If I were to drive my car every day, with the exhaust mods I did alone, I would loose my hearing and I would never be able to listen to the radio.
The car does not like *** holes and neither do I, which is a part of New York. I'd be bending my rims every week, bottoming out, wrecking the front spoiler, and tearing up my interior by jumping in and out of the car every two minutes. Parking my Viper on the streets of the Bronx weekly? NOT a good idea.
I guess it all depends on where you live, what you do for a living, and how much dings & scratches bother you.
Good luck.
Andrew

OP
OP
J

james97gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

rconaway,
I used to use my viper in Phoenix as a daily driver but stopped after numerous door dings and my viper being keyed at Bank One Ballpark. Now my viper only comes out on weekends and if that. I never leave it anywhere I can't see it. No more movies, sport games, no nothing. If I can't keep my eye on it then I'm not bringing it. The summers here are the Worse for vipers in Arizona. The stop and go traffic during the summer is horrible on the viper. The big engine has to be moving. I used to literally watch the temperature guage move to redline. My 1997 viper overheated and blew a head gasket. The AC quit twice. Once a leak and once something else. The Ac ***** anyway. Its been at the dealership for about five months and hope to be getting it back. I have a 2000 Gts also and it doesn't do much better in the summer. Long story short I think Vipers are horrible for Daily drivers in Phoenix, especially during the summer heat.

Tommy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by james97gts:
my viper being keyed at Bank One Ballpark.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will never understand why some people do that.
frown.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine