Anyone ever used a car broker?

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm currently looking for a used GTS (I'm thinking of spending around the area of $45K)...problem is most credit unions will only provide a loan for a car thats in-state. So for me it would be CA (I'm in L.A.)...its hard finding good deals on GTS in Cali, so I was wondering whether I should try use a broker or not...anyone have any experience or recommendations? Thanks!

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used Marv Rose ("dodgevipersforsale.com", I beleive, in Fresno, CA) for my current '00 RT which was out-of-state. I also went through my credit union, and they had no problem with an out-of-state car or out-of-state title. The only problem the deal ran into was that my credit union insisted on having the title before they'd hand out any cash (that didn't seem unreasonable to me). However, it all got worked out in the end.

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I emailed marv earlier too...seems like their prices are a little high, but I guess everyone has to make a living, right?

Regarding your credit union dilemma...yeah, they told me the same thing. THey have no problems giving me the loan once they have the title in my hand. So in other words...I have to come up with the total funds on my own...purchase the car out of state, smog and register under my name here in cali..hand over the pink slip, then the bank can give me the loan.

I'd rather not go that route though...

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you checked out everything in your area? I found 8 GTS for sale between 40 and 50 thousand within 300 miles of LA using the Autotrader.com search engine and zip 90703. Cars.com gave me 5 GTS hits within 300 milesOnce you add inspection and shipping to your brokerage fees the out of state cars aren't necessarily a better bargain. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=191402803&dealer_id=57100939&car_year=1997&search_type=both&make=DODGE&distance=300&model=VIPER&address=90703&certified=&advanced=&max_price=50000&bkms=1138412999856&min_price=10000&end_year=2001&start_year=1997&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=300

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a broker when buying my viper....I wouldn't recommend it. He didn't know much about the car and really embellished on the condition. "Showroom condition" changed to "well, it's in great condition for a 7 year old car" after I saw it.

OP
OP
S

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you checked out everything in your area? I found 8 GTS for sale between 40 and 50 thousand within 300 miles of LA using the Autotrader.com search engine and zip 90703. Cars.com gave me 5 GTS hits within 300 milesOnce you add inspection and shipping to your brokerage fees the out of state cars aren't necessarily a better bargain. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=191402803&dealer_id=57100939&car_year=1997&search_type=both&make=DODGE&distance=300&model=VIPER&address=90703&certified=&advanced=&max_price=50000&bkms=1138412999856&min_price=10000&end_year=2001&start_year=1997&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=300

Yeah, I saw those adds...some of them were from shady dealers (I don't trust too many "used car" dealerships unless its a certified dodge dealership)..ofcourse sponsors on this site are different. I'm just trying to broaden my chances...its too bad autotrader has a sudden jump from 300 miles to anywhere in the u.s. :bonker:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you take out a Home Equity Line of Credit? The bank gives you the money for whatever you want and it is tax deductible since your house is collateral. It was very easy process for me. Bank issued a Bank check to dealer without title or anything. My Viper was a tax deduction till I paid off the loan. :D Good luck!

WICKDXS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used Eric Lee from Twin Falls ID. PM me for his phone number. He found exactly what I wanted (OK it was probably a few K higher than I told him) but got a 5800 mile pristine 2001 RT/10 Yellow.

This car

10128DCP_1122-med.jpg

was show room condition except 1 very small rock chip that he disclosed before I took delivery. Eric works through the Dodge dealer in Twin Falls and had the car inspected by a Viper Tech and changed the oil and was shipped from Iowa to Washington, in a covered trailer all included in the quoted price.

Best deal yet because he was a dealer all I needed was a bill of sale with the VIN and my Credit Union fronted the money.

It was without a doubt the easiest and best car buying experience I have ever had.

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you checked out everything in your area? I found 8 GTS for sale between 40 and 50 thousand within 300 miles of LA using the Autotrader.com search engine and zip 90703. Cars.com gave me 5 GTS hits within 300 milesOnce you add inspection and shipping to your brokerage fees the out of state cars aren't necessarily a better bargain.

Yeah, I saw those adds...some of them were from shady dealers (I don't trust too many "used car" dealerships unless its a certified dodge dealership)..ofcourse sponsors on this site are different. I'm just trying to broaden my chances...its too bad autotrader has a sudden jump from 300 miles to anywhere in the u.s. :bonker:

Yes in order to make it work you have to figure out how far you would be prepared to travel for a look so you might do a search from LA, and then a second one from San Fran.
I share your feelings about some dealers but at the end of the day any dealer, Dodge or not, doesn't really know how most of their inventory was treated and unless the thing has a warranty they are only responsible for known defects. Even one owner cars with relatively low mileage can have the hell driven out of them and you have no way of knowing. One bad downshift or a moment's inattention.
If you find a dealer vehicle, or a private one the steps are all the same. Carfax, service history, pre-purchase mechanical inspection from a Dodge dealer or private Viper tech, and if you want one step further have the car taken to a body shop and for the price of an hour's labour they will put the thing up on a hoist and poke around looking for any signs of crash and repairs. If the carfax doesn't show anything and the bodyman and the dealer tech can't find anything then how concerned are you with who the seller is?
There are ultra low mile one owner cars out there if you have the $ but even those could have been banged around and unless you have done all the same inspection procedures you can't be really sure.
In most cases cars are either broke or they aren't. There isn't a whole bunch of hidden machanical things that can be wrong that don't show some kind of evidence on inspection.
I am shopping as well but pretty much all over the country. My starting criteria are, price, then color, mileage, and tires. If I know the car will need tires in the next few months I throw that into what I can offer.I am trying to avoid dealer cars for the simple reason they will want a few thousand more than a private seller for the same car, but if the price is close I will give them an email or a call. To bring in a car to Cali from the east coast, Florida, or Texas where most of them are, will cost $1500 to $2000 freight, $500 for your broker, and maybe anoither $200-$300 for inspection. That gives you $2000 more to spend on your California car, and I don't see your prices there being any worse than the rest of the country. Good Hunting.

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used Eric Lee from Twin Falls ID. PM me for his phone number. He found exactly what I wanted (OK it was probably a few K higher than I told him) but got a 5800 mile pristine 2001 RT/10 Yellow.

This car

10128DCP_1122-med.jpg

was show room condition except 1 very small rock chip that he disclosed before I took delivery. Eric works through the Dodge dealer in Twin Falls and had the car inspected by a Viper Tech and changed the oil and was shipped from Iowa to Washington, in a covered trailer all included in the quoted price.

Best deal yet because he was a dealer all I needed was a bill of sale with the VIN and my Credit Union fronted the money.

It was without a doubt the easiest and best car buying experience I have ever had.

Rick isn't Eric Lee a salesman for Latham Motors rather than a broker? I beleive I swapped some emails with him on a 99 GTS they had there. Without getting into what you actually paid for the car, was their asking price comparable to others on the market? There are 4 R/T10s in the Viperclub classifies with prices ranging from $53,500 to $56,500 and mileage from 1100 to 7600. Was he close to these asking prices?

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i used capital one autofinance...they send you a check for the amount of the loan (you request) and the percent is based on who you are purchasing from. if you are purchasing from a dealer the loan rate is better than if you are purchasing person to person. they send you a booklet with all the info you need for them to make the check good is inside...very simple...that is how i bought my 94 rt/10...i bought it in mizzou and i am from ohio...transaction was smooth and easy drove it home 30 minutes after i bought it!

if you need more info pm me

WICKDXS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In my dealings Eric was a broker I did not deal with anyone at Latham except that is who the check was made out to. Eric was very close to those costs if I discount for the search, transportation, Viper Tech inspection and pre-delivery service bottom line if I priced for just the car was right at $57,000. But I got a perfect car and did not have to worry about it ever being wrecked.

Oh yea... I also live in Washington and had to pay 8.5% sales tax on the transaction.