Anyone Know How To Stop The Hard Top On My RT/10 From Rattling?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While driving my new RT/10 with the hard top on I noticed that it makes a bit of a noise. Does anyone know how to fix this? I think it is because the top is not very tight. Is it because it is American? ;)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bast way to fix the rattling is to take the top off, put it in the garage. THEN, go for a drive to see if this fixes the rattle :D

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Anyone Know How To Stop The Hard Top On My RT/10 From Rattling?

Dear 96 RT/10:

Cute. Nice idea but it is currently raining out here. Stinks because it will be raining for a few days.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

F355,

Ok here goes.

I went through this whole scenario with my RT when I bought it new. Took it to the dealer had them adjust it several times and still the same thing, and probably even worse then when I first brought it to them.

Soon after I gave up on the Viper techs and decided to use some of my own engineering capabilities. Tried many different and elaborate bracket set ups but in the end the thing that worked best was the cheapest and easiest to install.

Instructions:

1) Go to you local hardware store and buy some thin dense foam pading. If I remember right its for insulating window frames like 1/8-1/4 inch thick.

2) Remove your hard top and place it upside down on the floor using something soft, so you dont damage it.

3) The rear bracket has 2 pieces that stick out, one that is straight and the other has a hook on it. Cut a piece of foam to cover the straight bracket piece making sure it is long enough to cover the spot where the hooked portion of the other makes contact.

4) Using electrical tape wrap the foam around the straight part of the bracket, make sure to wrap the tape tight.

5) Install roof, and go for a spin. If it is still making noise in the back you may need to loosen the hooked portion of the bracket to adjust it. But most likely this will remove 95% of the annoying rattling.

Good luck

Silver98

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine was rattling from the front pins, too much play.

I reduced the play by adding a short piece of rubber hose as shown on the attached picture. It requires a little more force to install it, but then, no rattle.

You must be registered for see images

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine was rattling from the front pins, too much play.

I reduced the play by adding a short piece of rubber hose as shown on the attached picture. It requires a little more force to install it, but then, no rattle.

And you guys build watches??? LOL

Just kidding, that looks like a smart fix.

holdontight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That rubber hose is a great idea the rattle is in the front of mine too and when i bought it new the dealer could not fix it I guess i will be going to home depot today. I loved the dealers answer when I asked them if there is anything we can do to get rid of the rattle, "We did all we can and there is no way to get rid of it" nice answer.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you to everyone for all the ideas. I will be sure to try a bunch of them this summer. The rattle is not that bad but at points it is just like, I wish I could just stop it. I think I would be able to live with it if I could not fix it but I will try those ideas.

Thanks AGAIN!!!

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would recommend taking it to the dealership. I finally got it done and Buhler Dodge did a great job. The top no longer rattles. It is almost impossible to believe but it is the truth. I love it. :) No more leaks either. I am one happy camper. :D

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Factory top, no rattles

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do a search for my username and top(s) and/or rattle(s) - you will find several posts in which I have described adjusting the front and rear latches and various ways in which they can loosen and generate rattles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery