Anyone know this GTS in indiana

troybax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking for a GTS in the low 30k range. I like B/W and thats my first choice, but for low 30's it seems like they will be higher miles then i'm comfortable with. So Im open to other colors. I've been in contact with a dealer selling a Red 97 GTS in indiana 25k miles. Does anyone know this car or seen it in person? It looks like it spent most of its life in Ohio. Dealer claims body looks good and no signs of accidents.
Used 1997 Dodge Viper GTS For Sale | Lawrenceburg IN
Pictures were taken before it was detailed. He says its in the show room and looks almost new. I know you guys are good at telling alot from pictures.
Opinions or first hand knowledge? :confused:

Last edited:

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of mileage do you consider too high? I just picked up my '97 B/W for ~$30k in VA this past december. Prices are starting to climb now due to nice weather...

:usa: Nick :usa:

OP
OP
T

troybax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of mileage do you consider too high? I just picked up my '97 B/W for ~$30k in VA this past december. Prices are starting to climb now due to nice weather...

:usa: Nick :usa:

I would like to stay 30-40k miles for a B/w and 20k-30k for another color. I know it may be more important on how its cared for then mileage in many cases, but that's my ball park. I know I should probably hold out for a B/W.

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
While I don't know the car, others closer may...I can try to track someone.

If YOU and the dealer ARE SERIOUS , you might take advantage of a rare opportunity in that Viper Tech Tom Sessions is working this week at Champion C-J-D-R in Indy...90-100 miles away. If you act NOW, I can ask Tom about inspecting the car for the usual Dodge fees...and you'll KNOW the real deal about the car. Time is short as he leaves on Saturday.

Here is the info:

http://forums.viperclub.org/indiana-kentucky/642285-ky-vca-fyi-special-viper-service-round-2-a.html

If you want to try this...CALL ME ASAP!!!

OP
OP
T

troybax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I'm close to a deal on above GTS. Its for sale at a Dodge Dealer. The salesmen says it has been gone over and everythings looks good. Yes, I know its the salesman and he will tell me whatever I need to hear to buy the car. But I asked and he confirmed there is a certified Viper tech that works at the dealer. Is there some type of specific inspection I should be asking for? Almost seems like a conflict of interest having someone from dealer inspect it. I plan on inspecting it before I close deal but would like there certified Viper tech do it. Can I assume the tech would be working with my best interest?

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'd work that dealer harder, this is what i bought last september:

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/639471-well-finally-found-one.html

I agree that dealer needs to come down some on that price, but Mopar you got an unusually low price on your car well below the norm for such low mileage.

One thing I would suggest to the OP - don't settle for a car that you are not crazy about just to get in a Viper, it's easy to let your emotions grab you. If you really want a BW, they are out there be patient. When I got my first GTS back in 2004 it was red and I loved it till I saw a BW up close and I knew that was the one I should have bought.

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would call Steve pronto!!! It's not like your buying a 97 Vette. :omg: Yes, a salesman and the dealers mechanic are who I would trust for an unbiased opinion. :nono:

OP
OP
T

troybax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suggest that you call me.

I was considering it, but since I'm 6hrs away from the GTS i'm looking at i'm not sure how I could arrange to take it another 100 miles each way, to have it inspected at another dealer. I appreciate the suggestion however.

OP
OP
T

troybax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that dealer needs to come down some on that price, but Mopar you got an unusually low price on your car well below the norm for such low mileage.

One thing I would suggest to the OP - don't settle for a car that you are not crazy about just to get in a Viper, it's easy to let your emotions grab you. If you really want a BW, they are out there be patient. When I got my first GTS back in 2004 it was red and I loved it till I saw a BW up close and I knew that was the one I should have bought.

You really have me thinking about a B/W. That is what I really want. I was thinking I would throw some stripes on this red one and be happy. But I don't want buyers remorse. I might have to sleep on it another night. I can't get down there till next friday anyway.

As for the inspection steve suggested If I've decide AM Saturday I call you. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but the inspection opportunity by Tom Sessions ended today. There may be other "snooping" opportunities, but none at the level that Tom could have offered.

Best of luck with your quest !!

OP
OP
T

troybax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So now we start a second thread!!

Sometimes it's hard to help folks.

Wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers. This post I wanted to know if anyone knew this car so I could move on past it and continue looking. I wasn't asking anyone to go look at it. But today I finally got all the info I was waiting for from the dealer so now im ready for actual inspection. Thaught it was worthy of a new thread.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Good idea...let's stop this thread, and concentrate on getting the job done. I have gathered a few bits of info.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely have it inspected before you buy! I had mine gone over by Chuck AFTER I bought and luckily, the car was solid.

As for color, I too wanted a B&W but found this one. While I don't have buyers remorse, I still do wish sometimes that I did hold out for one.

And...consider that stripes (painted) run anywhere from $3500 to $5000 depending on who does and whether you clear coat the stripes or the whole car. If that is your intent, then the car costs you whatever your price is PLUS the cost of stripes!

Lastly, make sure you check the tires, as replacing (as I had to do) is another close to $2000.

But, of course, RED IS FASTEST!:lmao:

Good luck!

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would surely contact Steve anyways, he has some good tips ready for ya I guess, I'm an owner for a year and yet I am still waiting for a question he doesn't know or know who knows...

I would also definately let it be checked by an independent Viper tech, I have spend literally thousends of dollars in my first year as an owner because I didn't! Don't tell we didn't warn ya.
But once the car is solid as a rock...it rocks big time!

Have fun buying and enjoy your purchase.

OP
OP
T

troybax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would surely contact Steve anyways, he has some good tips ready for ya I guess, I'm an owner for a year and yet I am still waiting for a question he doesn't know or know who knows...

I would also definately let it be checked by an independent Viper tech, I have spend literally thousends of dollars in my first year as an owner because I didn't! Don't tell we didn't warn ya.
But once the car is solid as a rock...it rocks big time!

Have fun buying and enjoy your purchase.

Well im happy to report that a well respected member of this club gave me a lead on another Viper that seems to be exactly what im looking for. Lower miles, no stories. Pending my inspection I am buying tomorrow. I can hardly wait. Ill post details once its in my garage.