Anyone knows the story with this viper...

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm looking at this viper as all other SRT10s of the same color are way overpriced. The add shows it has a salvage title, the car has been wrecked and rebuilt. But I have no idea on the extend of the damage. If the damage was mostly cosmetic I think it might be worth to bid on it in the interest of saving a ton of money in comparison to my other options. So if anyone knows anything about the history of the car and tells me about it I would really appreciate it.

Also the car is located at Lake Charles, LA, United States. If there is anyone (viper knowledgeable) near the area that could take a look for me... that would be fantastic. The owner phone number is 337 377-9607 and his email address is: [email protected]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...dZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ130559887846#ht_500wt_1182

Also I'm curios to know how much do you think would be a fair price for the car and if people think it might be better to wait for something with a clear title.

Thanks,
Tony

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, a lot going on there.

1) The car is pretty well modified. If this is something you're interested in, it'll certainly be cheaper to buy the car with the mods than buy them separately.

2) The car doesn't have a clear title as you've stated; if you plan to keep the car long term and don't expect to get much out of it when you resell it, then great. Otherwise when you go to sell you'll deal with a smaller market of prospective buyers as most people do not want a car with any "history." This will continue to diminish the value.

3) That car will not sell for under $35-40k. You should be able to find a clean non-molested car for $40-45k, or a car with higher miles in the $40k ballpark. I'm not sure if you think that car will sell in the $25k range since it is there now, but it most certainly will not.

I'm not sure what you think "way overpriced" is with regards to other yellow SRT10s, but the market for these cars is still pretty strong and has actually increased in the past year or so. A clean SRT10 still sells for over $40k and one with low miles over $45k

OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, a lot going on there.

1) The car is pretty well modified. If this is something you're interested in, it'll certainly be cheaper to buy the car with the mods than buy them separately.

2) The car doesn't have a clear title as you've stated; if you plan to keep the car long term and don't expect to get much out of it when you resell it, then great. Otherwise when you go to sell you'll deal with a smaller market of prospective buyers as most people do not want a car with any "history." This will continue to diminish the value.

3) That car will not sell for under $35-40k. You should be able to find a clean non-molested car for $40-45k, or a car with higher miles in the $40k ballpark. I'm not sure if you think that car will sell in the $25k range since it is there now, but it most certainly will not.

I'm not sure what you think "way overpriced" is with regards to other yellow SRT10s, but the market for these cars is still pretty strong and has actually increased in the past year or so. A clean SRT10 still sells for over $40k and one with low miles over $45k

Yes I know lots of things going on with the car. Honestly I'd be just as happy with a stock car. That's not one of the reasons I'm looking into it. At the same time I wouldn't mind the extra power if the build is well done. I don't really care about resale value as I plan to drive the car as much as possible, it would loss value either way, the way I see it this is a car not a profitable investment.

I don't think it will sell in the 20s range but with all does issues I certainly think it won't sell in the 50s either. May be in the high 30s or low 40s which is better than over 50.

The more I think about it. The more it's seems I really have just two options by a 03-04 viper red or a 08 venom red. My preference is:

2008 Venom Red > 2005 Yellow > 2003-04 Viper red. If the price gap between the gen4 and the yellow one is lesser than 15K I would probably save the difference and go that way and if I get desperate I might go with viper red...

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Let's look at the issues , quickly............
1. No warranty and ineligible for an extended service contract due to salvage title.
2. Difficulties with many insurance companies acquirinig insurance or having to get a limited coverage policy.
3. Few Banks will finance
4. Long term value, extremely poor.

You already think it will go for high 30s or low 40s ( just repeating your personal observations ) , then why even bother when I think a clean titled 03 or 04 will be in the 40s anyway, depending on miles , condition, etc.

Just a bit more and you are there, and no headaches.

OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let's look at the issues , quickly............
1. No warranty and ineligible for an extended service contract due to salvage title.
2. Difficulties with many insurance companies acquirinig insurance or having to get a limited coverage policy.
3. Few Banks will finance
4. Long term value, extremely poor.

You already think it will go for high 30s or low 40s ( just repeating your personal observations ) , then why even bother when I think a clean titled 03 or 04 will be in the 40s anyway, depending on miles , condition, etc.

Just a bit more and you are there, and no headaches.

You are right on all points. I hadn't consider warranty, extended service availability though so thanks for bringing that up. I guess I was only thinking of it because of the color but I might be better off re-painting another viper with a clear title...

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right on all points. I hadn't consider warranty, extended service availability though so thanks for bringing that up. I guess I was only thinking of it because of the color but I might be better off re-painting another viper with a clear title...

Wait!!!! Don't do a color change it will cost a fortune to do it right and any future buyer will not want to pay the value on an unpainted car. Cost money when you paint it and cost more when you sell it.

Buy a car they way you want it.

OP
OP
T

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wait!!!! Don't do a color change it will cost a fortune to do it right and any future buyer will not want to pay the value on an unpainted car. Cost money when you paint it and cost more when you sell it.

Buy a car they way you want it.

Thanks for the advise. Thinking this way, it seems my best bet is to wait until I can find a venom red 2008 SRT10 convertible that I feel comfortable affording.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If his "sale" price is under 35k, then there would be reason to look at it carefully. If you are worried about reselling it then don't bother. But to tell you the truth, when I buy a car I'm not thinking about selling it again.

Some things in the ad that would concern me are the cracked windshield and crack on the rear bumper. Evidently they weren't part of the original wreck, so what caused them? Plus, there should be a full repair record of what was done to the car when repaired. a "minor" accident probably wouldn't have landed the car a salvage title. That would only be assigned because the estimite to repair the damage was more than the a certain percentage of the value of the car. (I think it's about 70%)