ANYONE NEED A COMPUTER

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JDR,
As long as you know that tubes are not better at reproducing audio, we have no argument.
I know that tubes are still hard to beat for broadcast power but that's probably their last stand.

I think the E2C UHF radar still uses a big tetrode for the final.

I know a fellow who is a designer power control systems, steel mill power control.
He was telling me just a few weeks ago that everything is solid state now.
I don't know anything about it myself but I would be surprised if anyone is making new control systems with tubes.

The USSR was still into tubes for military systems not too long ago. They probably still have them, not much new stuff over there.
Everyone was saying they were using tubes because they were not so sensitive to EMP. I think they were just backward.

Anyway, you probably know all about how some of the audio guys are still using tubes because of the "presence" or some other BS techno babble.

I had a Collins 30-S1 linear amp that used three 811A tubes, ham radio stuff. That was about 15 years ago and it was old then. About 600 Watts PEP on SSB. If you talked too long they would turn yellow.

No tubes left in this house. All solid state screens. Microtek LCD monitor, Samsung 43" DLP HDTV and a 15" Sansui LCD in the bedroom.

Ever think about all the space that is taken up by CRTs? What's going to happen when they all get crushed and the atmosphere has to fill all that space?
Yeah, we could be in for it. It'll be worse than Y2K.

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sparkey...
Ewe will no ewe r sucksessful when a ***** kan't push your buttons :D Why are you taking it so personally that some people are more ethical and/or law abiding than others? ...since when is "walking a different walk" stealing software vs. not? How do you feel about a competitor or customer stealing your cabinet designs?

Joe117,
Well, I'm almost up to your standards. The wife and I use ViewSonic LCD panels at work & home... but the TV's still a CRT (a 300lb Sony VVega).

It's been over 20 years since I've seen a glowing tube... cool!

As for EMP - we're on the same side there - tubes are not really the answer for that. (I wonder how well a tube would stand up to a shockwave over solid state? :eek: ) So you think CRT's might be the cause for global warming, being they've displaced soooo much atmosphere? (j/k)

Anyhow I think I hear Sparky crying, so gotta go... I need to go make a bottle and give it to him, as he's having a bad day & is looking to vent on someone... :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi