Anyone retrofit, or price retrofit, of ABS?

Blake Kercovich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious to see if any company, or individual. out there has done an ABS retrofit on a '00 or earlier GTS?
If so, what were the costs?
I am looking into buying a Viper in the next 1-2 years.
I plan to buy a 96 or 97. Main reason? Paint! I want Blue/White Stripe GTS...nothing else.
I'm wondering what my best option would be:
1.) Buy 96/97 in my color, and retrofit and ABS system
2.) Buy an '01, and paint it.
Obviously and ABS retrofit won't be cheap (if it's even possible). Well, anything's possible, just don't know if anyone has done it yet!
But, would the cheaper cost of the 96/97 offset the price of a new '01, plus a paint job?
Thinking within the next year or so, the prices would be:
96/97 GTS (upper $40K/ low $50K) + ABS upgrade ($??K) = $??K
vs.
01 GTS ($75K) + Paint ($7K+) = $82K
It looks like, if an ABS upgrade for the earlier Viper was anywhere under $30K (lord I would hope so!), that would be the most economical route to go.
What else does the 01 have, that the 96/97 would be lacking? Cast vs. Forged pistons, right? Anything else (anything major that is, not the little piddly stuff!).

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions on this.
You must be registered for see images

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of Corvette forum guys cruising over here. Cool.

I believe that Tommy Archer (?) has adapted an ABS kit to a non-ABS car. Have you tried searching the archives for ABS? There's lots of info there.

The kit mentioned by Archer was said to be around $7000 and be better than the stock 2001 ABS.

Good luck,
Matt

BurnR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gasp!!!!!!!!! don't leave me hanging.....oh boy is this gonna be great!! (I hope)!! ;-)

OP
OP
B

Blake Kercovich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt,
Thanks for the info, I'll check into the Tommy Archer setup.

David,
I think you've peeked a few folk's interest!
You must be registered for see images

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*BurnR8*...(what have you been doing in the trunk, "unforgettable" huh?)

I'm interested in an ABS kit too...(hilly, twisty, wet UK roads + my heavy right foot!) MOPAR were developing a kit for post '96's...any news on this? I spotted the ABS control center, ahead of drivers front wheel fender, does it plug in via PCM? ...would need calipers? sensors?
"Cam" the Viper tech, we'd like to hear more from you on retro fitment please.

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am truly surprised that no one has mentioned calling Ben Madley at ViperSpeed Racing. They developed a pretty good after-market ABS system for Vipers. They worked with several people from Team Viper to design them. You might want to talk to Rick Weisorick (sorry about my spelling) about this system.

The other option is Jason Tarnutzer (out of Las vegas, NV). He supposedly adapted a BMW ABS computer to fit onto the Viper. I heard something about hime selling part or all of his business to hennessey. I don't know much more about it, nor have I heard of anyone on this BB that has actually installed them.

I do know one thing, is that these are not kits. the cars need to be shipped to their sites for installation. It takes quite a bit of machining to fit these systems onto our cars. I think that ViperSpeed is running the ABS on their race car.

Good luck.

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation Brad. Yes, we (ViperSpeed Racing) did develop an ABS retro-fit kit and have had installed it on several cars, including two of team owner Ben Madey personal Vipers. Carll Bobby Archer (817-877-1772) for more info on the system, curent cost, etc.

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BurnR8:
for the record:

I do want an ABS Retro Kit

The ABS kit I found was about $7600 and I thought that was a little prohibitve as a % of the value of the car.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Burn:

Without knowing your criteria or your application, it's difficult know what you are talking about. Weren't you looking for ABS options? Sorry if this wasn't what you wanted.

As I get older, I am really bad at mind reading (ask my wife).

Later,

Brad

BurnR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
big diff between $7500 real money and wanting....10% of the value of the car does not make sense....if someone can find one that does make sense...and cents....I am so in....sorry for the confusion....

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BurnR8:
big diff between $7500 real money and wanting....10% of the value of the car does not make sense....if someone can find one that does make sense...and cents....I am so in....sorry for the confusion....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BurnR8:

It won't happen for cheaper than that. Go upgrade your brakes to Stop Tech's and get the best performance for your buck.

If and when the factory decides on a retrofit kit for older Vipers, it'll be very pricey. $7,500 is about the price of a 4 wheel Brembo setup, and they can't even guarantee that your car will stop better.

BurnR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad...actually I have Brembo 14"s up front..EBC green all the way around and I really like the set up....but technology is a wonderful thing! ;-)....I just think with that much rubber on the road ABS would be just amazing....maybe a 2002 before the cool ones disappear...Have a good weekend.