Anyone trimmed the lower lip of the fascia?

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 GTS has the typical crack about 3 or 4 inches in from the edge of the lip, like that when I bought it. Here in Illinois the roads ****, the driveways can be steep, and it does get scraped from time to time. I thought I read somewhere that some guys have trimmed an inch or so off the fascia. I don't want to bother with fixing it, it'll just happen again. In fact, I'd like to lower the car but it'll worsen the issue. the crack is about 1 1/4" long going vertical.

OP
OP
T

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to get some of Roe's gaurds but they aren't on their site anymore. Does anyone sell them?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car is lower and it has no cracks. It does scrape quite often, but the nose is fleible and lifts so I haven't gotten any more damage than scratches and slight grinding of the bottom of the lip. I hate speed bumps. I've got 29,000mi. on my car so far.

Ted

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am thinking of doing the same but maybe just for 1/4". Probably once I get my lift.

V

Venomiss

I wanted to get some of Roe's gaurds but they aren't on their site anymore. Does anyone sell them?

Call Sean Roe and maybe he can lead you in the right direction.

You must be registered for see images
1-866-ASK-SEAN (1-866-275-7326)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SnakeOyl still sells the chin guard. I'd check with Partsrack too.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a car in person once with the SO chin guard. That thing is fugly. Maybe if you powder coat it to match body color, but in bare aluminum? :crazy2:

My neighbor has it on his Viper and I will admit it looks like someone stuck an oversized dirty fork under the car but he doesn't care. It's saved his fascia from scraping at the end of his driveway. I like the powder coat idea.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yeah, i saw the SO and was thinking about it because sometimes mine scrapes out of the driveway.. but it does look like it sticks out quite a bit..

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My RT came with a fork on it already. It has taken some abuse so I don't think powdercoating it would be wise. I have since taken it off to shorten the tongs a bit and maby a little red spray paint to hide it better.

100_1773.JPG

100_1756.JPG

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my front fascia repainted last year, but before I did I trimmed 1/2 inch off of it. I measured carefully and used a cut off wheel and then sanded it smooth. It came out great and dosen't bottom out as much as it used to. If I had to do it again I would probably take off more. Hope this helps.

Bo

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine always scrapes on the sides, probably because I'm trying to AVOID scraping by taking inclines at an angle.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same here, im gonna just dremel the sides a halfinch as i enter most inclines at an angle.

I never go on straight so would not have to worry about getting that ridiculous looking fork thing.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took some clear door edges guards....the ones that have the sticky stuff inside to help hold them on....and slid them onto the bottom lip of the fascia. They take the hit if you bottom out...and if they get ugly...just peel 'em off and put a new pair on. They're only a few bucks. And...you can barely tell they are on.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that may not stop the paint from cracking do to the bumper flexing when rubbed. (also it will effectively subtract another 3/16" of clearance. The only way i see to solve the real problem is to Prevent it from scraping either by slightly trimming the corners and entering inclines at an angle, or keeping a 2x4 in your trunk and whip it out everytime you pull in someones driveway...

bvk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah i was about to say exactly that, i've been working at mine with the curb :)

actually at my new house I have a different problem, steep driveway - it doesn't touch when you hit it at an angle, but the car 'teeters' on two wheels and you lose drive! have to hit it a little faster just to make sure both rears touch down, its usually a noisy process :)