Anyone try 8# pulley Roe S/C on cast piston 2000+ engine

V

vegasviper

8# ROE S/C or 300 shot NX. Can the new engine handle it?????????

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
300 dry or wet on a stock block n bottem end pushing it.
8lbs of boost on a stock block and bottem end pushing it.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean would know for sure, but after reading though all the Roe SC'er posts I have yet to see a cast piston car using the smaller 8# pulley. I know it is not recommended.

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you this,we installed one on a 01 and recomended to the customer that he waited until we rebuilt the motor w/forged.Customer decided against our advise to run with it.and we would rebuild another time when he could spair the down time.we recieved the car back 2 months later not due to problems but the customer was going out of the country for awhile and wanted us to go through it.Now this person is extremely ******* his car and told me that he did notice some load detonation as the weather warmed up but other than that it was great.I personally tore down the motor and to my surprize the pistons were spotless and that was with audible detonation,that being said this is not something that i recommend but i will tell you that the customer had put 4900 problem free HARD miles on the car

OP
OP
V

vegasviper

Great news Vipermed. On my forged engine i ran more 300 shot of NX than you can believe, but i feel limited with the new cast cast engine. I would like to run the 8# pulley soon, so keep the feedback coming. I have heared that other tuners have run more boost with cast piston 2000+ engines, is it the fact that it is a diffrenet blower set up than my ROE S/C??????????

I need lot of feed back

Thanks
Steve

GASDOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what's the worst thing that could happen with the 8# pulley and cast pistons?
It must be pretty expensive changing to forged pistons ,especially after reading VIPERMED's statement of no damage seen after several thousand hard miles.

Other than the pulley what else needs to be changed??

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
> So what's the worst thing that could happen with the 8# pulley and cast pistons?

You must be registered for see images

In general, tuning can make higher boost levels "safe" for cast-piston cars by avoiding detonation and keeping cylinder temps safe.

OP
OP
V

vegasviper

Trynor, ive seen lots of engines end up that way, some are mine, But was that picture you posted due to a 8#pulley on a cast piston or was it a non related engine blow up?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I blew my 01 up on a 200 shot of nitrous. 9 of 10 pistons were shot. I literally had compression in ONE back cylinder! The ring lands are too high on the cast creampuff pistons. My engine didn't look like the soup above, but it was nasty. Just throw in some forged pistons and forget it!

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NX wet. I've had NX kits on my cars since before they named themselves that. (college friend works for em) Great kits, no idea what happened.

OP
OP
V

vegasviper

Was there any holes in pistons or any broken pistons showing lean condition

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
> Treynor, ive seen lots of engines end up that way, some are mine,
> But was that picture you posted due to a 8#pulley on a cast piston [...]?

No, absolutely not. The picture I posted was the aftermath of shifting an Acura RSX Type S from 6000 RPM in 5th to 2nd. Turns out those little 4-bangers don't rev to 15K... even with VTEC.

I -assume- that the main failure mode for a creampuff with too much boost would be detonation and subsequent damaged pistons, especially the aforementioned ring lands. However, IANST. I do know that Doug Levin has a bunch of 700+ RWHP creampuff cars running around out there, so it can be done...

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's several 1000+hp engines running around very successfully on cast hypertectic pistons. They do not like detonation but as Ben says - if the timing and air/fuel are right that should not be an issue on an EFI car.

The high top ring is an issue for high boost. I don't consider 8lbs high boost - but a lot comes down to cylinder pressure - 8lb boost plus high compression plus short duration/fast action cam = lots of cylinder pressure - that's the real important thing to know - what is the cylinder pressure at full boost - that is what the top ring has to deal with. It'd safely run 8lbs with a big cam.... but a stock cam may be an issue - Sean can probably advise on this.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
During the development of the Supercharger kit, we consulted with Mahle, the stock piston manufacturer. The engineer I spoke with, who was familiar with the 2000 and newer Viper piston, recommended we not exceed 5 psi for an extended duration in order to help ensure piston reliability. Because the twin screw style compressor makes boost from idle and many areas of the country can only get a maximum of 91 octane, we chose to take his advice.

As others have said, it's not only the material the piston is made of (they're just eutectic, not even the stronger hyper-eutectic), it's also the proximity of the top ring land to the top of the piston. The earlier pistons had more material above the top ring and were forged.

Regards,
Sean

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My engine had no holes in the pistons, but the ring lands were busted on several of them. I guess it had to have run lean, but I can't figure out how or why. Ahhhh, the mysteries of trashing a $10k engine!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for that insight Sean - I'd just assumed the pistons were a higher grade than that..... so DC were too tight to run hypereutectic pistons - I can't believe it - that *****! I'd be sticking to 5lbs too....

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My engine had no holes in the pistons, but the ring lands were busted on several of them. I guess it had to have run lean, but I can't figure out how or why. Ahhhh, the mysteries of trashing a $10k engine!

BigCarrot,

Holy cow!! How'd you blow your engine?? just stock use?? I can't imagine being behind the wheel and the engine blowing! YIKES! :mad:

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BigCarrot,

Holy cow!! How'd you blow your engine?? just stock use?? I can't imagine being behind the wheel and the engine blowing! YIKES! :mad:

Nitrous! It SUCKED! I was showing off for a chick too! I hit the spray, and it blew big! Flames came from the NACA duct and WAY out the tailpipes too, from what the guy behind me said. It sorta cranked, but it sounded like a box of rocks, so I killed it and tried to glide into a parking lot. The girl with me asked why I didn't just start it up and drive it there. We didn't work out! lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte