anyone using runflats?

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm buying some new wheels (not GenIII, but the same size) and was wondering if anyone uses the Michelin runflats? It would be nice to have a little more space in the trunk and never have to use that stupid spare if I got a flat...

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Run flats are HORRIBLE on the viper. the sidewalls are much stiffer than normal tires and it makes traction a constant battle.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have them on my GTS at the present and have noticed no decrease in traction over the regular pilots.

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have them on my GTS at the present and have noticed no decrease in traction over the regular pilots.

Really? the couple i know with them have complained they were worse then the stoc pilots.
Maybe they are better these days?!?!?

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on several comments I had seen on the board I was expecting poor results. That has not been my experience.

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shelby3: is that because you never get traction anyway with that blower, regardless of tires?

the only reason I'm considering them is because I'd pay $200 (the cost difference from regular tires) to not get stuck in a little town or roll with that stupid spare...

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Remember the spare wheel/tire is a "crush zone" on our RT/10's It can stop the deck lid from getting pushed into the back of your head in a rear impact...
Just an FYI

Cheers,

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shelby3: is that because you never get traction anyway with that blower, regardless of tires?

the only reason I'm considering them is because I'd pay $200 (the cost difference from regular tires) to not get stuck in a little town or roll with that stupid spare...

No, I base my opinion on when I can get to WOT in a particular gear.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Runflats ****. My wife's car has them and the problem I ran into was that in order for a shop to repair it they have to have the gel patch. I couln't find anyone who had the damn repair kit. Except the Stealership. I went out of town had my father in law take it there to get patched and when he left I was 380.00 poorer. They said they couldn't patch it and that it had to be replaced. Never will I have them on any of my vehicles again.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using Runflats here with no issues. If you are racing the car, then I would highly NOT recommend the Runflats, but for cruising and getting on it here and there...I think they are the way to go for the sole purpose of trunk space.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Btw i'm on my third set of runflats and got 8,000miles on first set with lots of track days, and 10,000 on the second set with a few track days and they still had lots of tread on the front left

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember the spare wheel/tire is a "crush zone" on our RT/10's It can stop the deck lid from getting pushed into the back of your head in a rear impact...
Just an FYI

Cheers,

this seemed like a good reason to keep the spare in the trunk, I went with the regular pilots and didn't get the run flats

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4