Anyone who knows how the power steering cylinder works?

mak1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I´m in the middle of rebuilding an SRT chassi into the chassi for an AC-Cobra replica. Since the Cobra is so much narrower in the front, I have had to make the SRT-frame 3" narrower in the front. Therefore I have to make the power steering cylinder 3" shorter. I have figured out how to shorten the tube, but don´t know how to shorten the piston since I dont know how it´s assembled... Anyone who has got an exploded view of how its put together? My biggest concern is how the "washer" with the hydrolic sealant is attached to the rod. This one I have to move on the rod... Hopefully the rod is divided in two parts where the joint is located at the washer with the sealant... I have looked into my repair manual for my RT/SRT but cant find anything.
/Mattias

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
boy that sounds like nassa stuff on the steering gear,with all the fab no-how you have,why dont you just get a whatever rack the correct size you need and fab ot to the chassis

OP
OP
M

mak1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I think it´s no big deal to use/shorten the existing one.... IF I only manage to find out how the little rascal is put together/has to be disassembled:D

I have attached a picture showing the rod with the washer and sealant. My concern is HOW to move the washer about an inch...

OP
OP
M

mak1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No finally, I have solved it!!! The rod was divided in two parts, with the washer sort of "jammed up" in between.