Are 2000's really the fastest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are 2000\'s really the fastest?

I forget where I heard this, no doubt from a 2000 owner ;) but I think they said it was from the lighter pistons and new cam profile.

I am guessing they are all very close in performance, even the pre 2000 cars with the forged pistons and lumpier cams.

I wanted to hear your opinions on the pro's and cons of the different years/motors. Is the 2000 motor and cam the same as the 01 and 02's or was there running changes. Obviously I am aware of the abs addition in 01 and 02.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Are 2000\'s really the fastest?

Jeesh, you have a lot of posts Chad.

Old lumpy cam forged Vipers with those heavy pistons :rolleyes: are slow.....especially Black ones :p

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score

sapphire has the best skid pad results. sapphire/silver is skidpad/braking

BoeingMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's a well known fact that the striped cars are fastest of them all. Don't let anyone tell you different.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score

KepRght is sooo close. The extra paint from the stripes, however just slows the cars down a tad. Go without stripes.

Oh, and blue light is faster than red light. Check it up. By definition, the blue is faster.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Due to the well known and documented millennium bug in our computers starting in 2000, of course, 1999 was the fastest.

In particular Silver/Blue 1999.

B SNAKE 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The color Steel Gray was only offered in 2000 which makes it the fastest of all!! :cool:

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hate to break it to ya but 00' was actually the bastard year for vipers and considered kind of a slouch.

97'-99' being the real brutes that consistantly make the most rwhp... near what the factory claimed was coming from the flywheel.

If there was a "fastest color" it would be sapphire, the devil in a blue dress of sorts. :2tu:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

All I know is that I've owned (2) steel grey ACR's both with the same build date. On two seperate dyno's both with a Corsa Cat-back only, put down 424rwhp. At VOI with 105+ air temp's 230 water temp I ran consistent mid 12's at 115-116 mph. With all honesty, I don't believe any other Vipers with similar mods that I raced beat me. I made at least 21 passes! I'm not saying 2000's are the fastest, but slow they aren't.

B SNAKE 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The color STEEL GRAY EXPLAINED:

SPEED
TORQUE
EXTREME
EXPLOSIVENESS
LASER

GEAR
RACING
ATOMIC
YEAR
:2tu:

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The Final Edition's are the fastest, cause they were the last of their kind!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hate to break it to ya but 00' was actually the bastard year for vipers and considered kind of a slouch.

Sigh..... once again the uninformed are advising the uninformed. "Bastard year, kind of a slouch"?????" Call Bill Pemberton and ask HIS opinion if you don't believe me but your statement has no substance in fact. And if you want to call them bastard years for being a slouch you're gonna have to lump in 01 and 02 with them as they are essentially the same from a motor standpoint.

OP
OP
A

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sigh..... once again the uninformed are advising the uninformed. "Bastard year, kind of a slouch"?????" Call Bill Pemberton and ask HIS opinion if you don't believe me but your statement has no substance in fact. And if you want to call them bastard years for being a slouch you're gonna have to lump in 01 and 02 with them as they are essentially the same from a motor standpoint.
Thank you Lee. Actually your post should have read "the uninformed advising the well informed". You don't hang out on here for over 5 years and learn nothing.

I have listened to this forged piston and creampuff crap for years. The only thing the 2000 does not have going for it is no abs. I really don't care about the pistons since I have no plans of supercharging the car anyway.

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I sometimes do not understand the importance of a few more horsepower when discussing who puts down what. If one car is putting down 420 rwhp and another puts down 435 rwhp are you really doing to be able to feel that difference when driving....no. I have a 99 RT/10 viper, I bought it not because it had the forged pistons, but because it was black and had the styling that I craved. If I found a 2000 black RT/10 that was in comparable shape to my 99, then I would have bought that one...my decision to buy my car had nothing to do with how much rwhp the car was putting down. Buy the car that intrigues your interests the most, forget about which engine is best because they are all VIPERS!

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My 2000 GTS was no slouch. I had it so fast in 4th gear I was afraid to look. My 96 GTS seems a little stronger from the seat of the pants feel, but that 2000 showed me the devil. It felt like an old 400 cc Suzuki motocrosser when the powerband kicks in, if anybody here is old enough to have experienced that.

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A Viper is a Viper, I personally couldn't care less about no forged vs cast pistons, lumpy cam vs smooth cam. I hope I never have to see my pistons, nor do I plan on modding my 1 of 99 Viper.

Just to be technical for those who do care, the 2000 and up motors were lighter by a pound or two, and has more low end torque sub 1500 rpm (Viper Buyer's Guide book)but in the end who gives a sh*^%*&(#.

Pick your model, then pick your color and that will most likely place you in a certain year or two. If you are going to mod your Viper to the nine's then buy a 99 or older.

All to his own

SuperSaiks

Bravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My 2000 GTS was no slouch. I had it so fast in 4th gear I was afraid to look. My 96 GTS seems a little stronger from the seat of the pants feel, but that 2000 showed me the devil. It felt like an old 400 cc Suzuki motocrosser when the powerband kicks in, if anybody here is old enough to have experienced that.

Suzuki TM-400 Cyclone. Evil Wicked Mean and Nasty.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I seem to remember that when the 2000s came out, there was a Steel RT/10 that ran 11.88 at Englishtown with a car mag editor driving. It was a car that was passed through the media, and I remember that more than one driver got times like that. (Yeah, I know that's really quick for a stock car...butI remember that very well.)

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Batboy,
Would you happen to know how many silver/blue non ACR GTS's were made? I can't seem to find the information.

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

hahaha... I'm uninformed? lol thats epic.

Yes 00' is a "bastard year" Small cam, cast piston downgrade yet no abs.

Having driven many of these cars and owning one myself from my first hand experience the 97-99 cars consistantly make 20ish rwhp more bone stock. Some more, but that seems to be about the middle ground.

uninformed lol... yeah, I'll remember that next time I've got a 1400rwhp viper burning the tires at 150mph. Apparently I have no idea what I'm doing. :rolleyes:

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

wasn't there a post on here a while back, that said the 2000 viper had some engine problems...mostly the earlier built vipers in year 2000, which most were painted black...that would be the only reason i would not buy a 2000 viper.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Sorry, Rogue, but you are falling for the hype that was perpetuated by the Forged Piston crowd. Folks have completely forgotten what happened back in 2000, due to all the silliness about the cast pistons.

In 1999 many Viper owners were concerned with the rumors of a PCM change and the issue that the 99 was the heaviest Viper built. This was real enough during part of the year, that folks were ordering or trying to find 1998 Vipers from us. Like so many rumors, it became almost fact for quite awhile, and later with interest in Supercharging the 99 gained a resurgence as it appeared to be the way to go for this mod. Folks completely forgot about said disparagement and frankly began trashing on the new hypereutetic cast aluminum pistons ( same process used on Porsche Twin Turbos and ZO6s ). This was new and unknown , so like many things in life it was perceived as not as good, because it was not understood. If you took a trip to Conner Ave. in late 1999 you were told right up front about the new motor and the gain in horsepower over the prior models. Workers all wanted you to know about the motor, and that you would not find the increase in print, but it was definitely up. By the end of the year (1999) the Plant suddenly was silent about any increases, and this even went over to Viper Days.

I was assisting Skip Thomas with the rules Matrix and we were charging an extra point for all 2000 models, as we knew there was a gain. Dodge came out weeks later and Mr. Thomas was required to not discuss this and to change the matrix back to where all Gen IIs were equal.Six years later this is probably fine to talk about as the personnel that requested this change are no longer around.

To sum it up, Vipers are hand built cars and year to year some ran better than others, and the funny thing is perceptions often become truth ( reality ) after years of banter. We have forgotten that in 2000 a red RT10 ran the fastest bone stock time of any Viper ( at that time ) with an 11.7 run at Englishtown.

The true fact about what the fastest Viper made has more basis in " Yellow is Fastest, " or " Black with Silver Stripes is fastest, " than many of the assorted theories we have all bandied about on the Forum these many years. The absolute truth is they are all fast, all the years are good, and the beast lives a life of it's own.

Coming from someone who has had forged pistons, cast pistons, etc. I found they all were great on the track and street, and frankly the best Snake out there is the one in your garage.

Respectfully,
Bill Pemberton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang