Are GTS's prone to leak when it rains???

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are GTS\'s prone to leak when it rains???

Just wondering if they leak when it rains especaily around the back glass. Someone told me that it's pretty common, is it ??

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Are GTS\'s prone to leak when it rains???

Doesn't happen at all here, even with direct water when washing it. Just make sure the seals are in good condition.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Never - had many opportunities to drive in the rain...
BURNOUT.gif

91ZR1#661

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No the leaking top syndrom is a exclusive feature of the
corvette!
95yellovett

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JH23JOB:
Just wondering if they leak when it rains especaily around the back glass. Someone told me that it's pretty common, is it ??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never heard of a back-glass leak, but have heard of some GTSs having a front windshield leak - you might want to try a search if you want info on that, there's been several threads.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">At least in mine, the typical top center windshield leak was caused by a bubble that occurred in the roof windshield channel. After windshield removal, the bubble was popped and solidly refilled. No leak since.

Both driver and passenger door glass leaks slightly under hose water pressure during washing where the rear window channel meets the door gasket. No big deal.

No back glass leak.

</FONT f>

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jorge, There's no need to put up with a leak in that spot. This can be fixed by a competent glass shop by pulling the black filler strip out and re-sealing the spot that leaks, in most cases. Common fix in urethane set windshields. If there is a "gap" in the urethane bead right there, it can be filled and you won't have to put up with it. pete the ex glass guy :)

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SteelGTS, I had the same issue. A bead of silicone under the entire length of the upper lip did the trick for me, no more leaks.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Just to clarify my prior post.

The "bubble" was not in the urethane, but in the fiberglass (or whatever it is) roof itself. Perhaps more sealant would have fixed it, but the dealer tried that twice before they decided to pull (and break) the windsheild and do it right. Don't let them pull the glass without a spare on site, as in the majority of the cases it will break.</FONT f>

rgifford

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't you know you are never supossed to get the car wet.....
sarcblink.gif
sarcblink.gif
sarcblink.gif

Mine front windshield leaks when I wash the car. It is only a drop or two at most.

Robert

SAM Team

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Put my Baby in the rain .....no way.

I have had two GTS's now and no leaking problems. I have washed them to death so it should be a good test.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

We have seen enough Vipers, that I can honestly say this does happen at times, but mainly the front window. In all cases we caught it while the car was brand new and not delivered, or under warranty. It seemed to be caused by the bond between window glass , and the composite body, where the silicone(?) filler didn't seal properly --- or had a bubble in it. The only rear window leak we ever had , was caused by a plugged up drain hole in the back ( this could be your problem ). With a 2000, I see no reason this would not be covered under warranty.Hope this helps some, and I would get it fixed as soon as you can.

Best of Luck !

safireviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The only complaint I had with my car is it leaks over the passenger side on the front winshield when I wash it. I expect a little silicone will fix that.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I put a cup on the dash when driving in the rain......

Instant Perrier on the go, GTS filtered!

(just right of the rear view mirror, same lack of sealant as above)