Are Kumhos Not as Wide as Pilots???

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just mounted my new Kumho Ecsta V700s (335/30/18s) on my 2001 Viper GTS two weeks ago.

I love them, they are VERY STICKY and I can now rip a 1-2 shift without being all over the road. I can also nail it in 1st at 3500rpms and stay straight.

BUT....

They are much narrower than my Pilots were, they do not come flush to the end of the wheels like the Pilots did, IS THIS NORMAL???

We measured them off the rim at 13.5", they looked massive, but on the rim they don't quite cut it in looks compared to the Pilots.

There is a noticeable area from where the tire end and where the rim ends.

Howard

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howard,
I believe your mounting issue with the Kumhos is normal. I've done a fair amount of reading on the subject and have heard that is an issue. Can you post a pic? I'm planning on mounting a set on the rear this spring. I figure the mounting issue is worth the traction. Did you 3M clear coat any of the back end?

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kumho\'s are Wider

The V700's actually have a wider contact patch than the Pilots. The V700's are race tires so they do not have the extra piece of rubber that comes out and hugs the wheel. Street tires have a large rubber lip at the edge of the tire that is suppose to be a rim protector. I noticed this same thing 3 years ago when I had my first set of V700's mounted. They almost look unfinished when mounted. Just remember that they are race tires and not street tires so you give up that street tire feature.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Kumho\'s are Wider

I was hoping that was only an issue with the 17" Kumhos. As I had the same issue with Kumhos when I had them on my 17" wheels.
It looks like they would be much easier to Curb, right? :p

I hope to get some again in 18", it's no problem living with that issue, cause those babies STICK!! :D

OP
OP
Y

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks for all the quick answers.

For the added bite I'll deal with it, but like BlueGTS said, it almost looks unfinished.

rcdice -

No 3M tape yet, I heard it is only a wheelwell issue.

Howard

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for all the quick answers.

For the added bite I'll deal with it, but like BlueGTS said, it almost looks unfinished.

rcdice -

No 3M tape yet, I heard it is only a wheelwell issue.

Howard

If you only have them on the back, 99% will stay in the wheelwell. If you have them on the front too, well, let's just say you should put some $$ aside to repaint your sidesills after a few thousand miles! :p

V

vegasviper

I have 4 brand new 18 Kumhos for sale. I cant find front Kumhos so they are for sale

OP
OP
Y

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Are they 335/30/18s???

Are they Ecsta V700s?

How much for 2?

If I like them maybe I'll pick up a back-up set or two now.

Howard

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant