Are our Viper Engines naturally thrashy sounding?

HotRodHarry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just wondered why the engine valvetrain in my Viper and 2 of my friends sounds abit on the noisey sound? Does it have to do with the cam? or lifter type?

Dont get me wrong...with the hood closed..you dont hear it....from in the car you do and with the hood open.

I have to admit...I kinda like it...reminds me of the good old horsepower days.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are absolutely right, yes it sounds like an old FedEx truck.

==========================================================
I have to admit...I kinda like it...reminds me of the good old horsepower days.
==========================================================
You are going into the right direction: Noice is caused by the old style of rockers. Change the rockers and noice will "go away".

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could be lifter noise, that's pretty common I believe.

OP
OP
H

HotRodHarry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To me it does sound like the lifters....not like a sticking lifters..just a steady Timex ticking sound....not real loud...I do hear the injectors too insinc with the other ticking. Hard to explain. Nothing like a something is wrong ticking..just not quiet. The car runs incredible and never complains. She has 18k miles on her now. I hear ya on the rockers...is there a better set to get out there? Or should the stock ones be ok with 18k miles?

viperkraz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should hear mine with 76k miles. Very noisey under the hood, all normal though.

OP
OP
H

HotRodHarry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks again for the response gang. I will just enjoy the engines music and keep on keepin on.....so atleast I know..its all good. Viper good....

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Coming from performance V8's, the V10 definitely has a unique sound to me. Sometimes it sounds like a diesel IMO :)

Hopefully that will change with the exhaust upgrade.

Cal