Are there any aftermarket pistons out there?

VipeRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I currently am running a Roe SC on my '00 RT and am just wondering if there are any aftermarket pistons out there that would permit me to either increase my boost pressure or consider further modifications without blowing a piston. If you have any information that can help, I'd appreciate it... Thanks!!

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are plenty of Manufacturers of viper pistons....Ross,JE.Diamond ect it is impotant to remember that they are custom built for each application and there are many specific specs required.compression height,rod length,deck height.ect. you will need to go to a dished piston to lower your compression to allow for higher boost.you will also need rings,more than likely a rail support,wrist pins(pressed prefferably)also must decide if you want to stop there our go to connecting rods also.ie. carrillo or you can go to an offset grind on the crank and utilize small block chevy rods(oliver)bearings and so forth.So as you can see there is a lot of decisions to make before procede.and unfortunately nobody(rarely) shelfs any of these parts as there are so many variances.and remember that precision is the key when you planning lower end m

WCKDVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JE's and Diamonds are $1,000 for a set of 10 in an "anything you want" configuration.

Just my advice, do rods at the same time and do not stroke the motor.

Regards,

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lots of options - all the main tuners can help.

If you are willing to blueprint and balance your engine I'll connect you with the best proprietory piston combo for your application. They have a lead time of a few weeks, must have a blueprinted engine to work and be hand fitted and clearanced, but they also have no peer - incorporating the latest design technology.

For now they are only available as part of an engine build up not an over the counter sale. pm if interested

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would ONLY USE CP Pistons. If you compare them with the other major names out there you'll see why...

Amazing build quality, precision, and fitment.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LethalViper - agreed - CP is best of the American brands.

However, they have many designs and some of them are exclusive to the tuning house or person that had them designed.

The actual design of the piston has a big effect on flame travel, efficiency, detonation resistance and prevention, power, mileage and engine crispness. The cutting edge design is not a shelf piston, we had them specifically made for the Viper and they are works of art.

We'll be able to announce them publicly in about a month along with other things :2tu:

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Venolia is still in business, they should be able to supply pistons at about 1/2 that price.

(that is if they aren't price gouging because its a Viper.)

I would give them the dimensions and say it was for a 318.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(forgot to mention)

With a flat top piston, the only thing you have to worry about is quench but since Viper does not approach this like GM, it is not clear what they are up to. The extended reach plug is a clue. LS1 and LS6 do not use it.

So that leaves detonation grooves and accumulator slots.

...and the ring package. But rings are right up there with "How to Pick Up Women" and "How to Enlarge Your ...." ...so I won't go there.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom and Vipers-
I agree. They are works of art. When I ordered a couple sets from them 2 years ago, I found out that anything for the Viper was custom. I had an engineer design the dish, ring heights, and overall dimensions. They worked great and can take loads of punishment.

Don't try anything else!