Are there other oil filters available for 08-09?

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year car.the new 8.4 takes a different filter from the 8.0 and 8.3 engine.WIX 51085 and napa gold 1085 are filters for the 8.0 and 8.3

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't remember the details, but at the technical seminar last year in Detroit it was mentioned that the new engine had a much improved oiling system, and mentioned that they were now specifying a new filter that had different valving inside.

Would not change from OEM spec unless you had good reasons to try something else.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spoke with Todd at Arrow the other day and he said the stock mopar filter is the best for the car.It has different specs than the wix filter.So for once OEM is the best way to go.Yea I missed the header with the year in it

Reaction score
Stick with the factory Mopar filter it is one of the best filters out there and was specifically designed for the new 8.4L engine. Change is not always a good thing, if Mobil 1 or K&N do make one I would be willing too bet they would not flow enough and may even be bypassing most of the time.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can the 08/09 filter be used on the older cars?
No. Different thread size. There is a Mopar filter of the same design for the previous Vipers with the same design (except thread size).

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stick with the factory Mopar filter it is one of the best filters out there and was specifically designed for the new 8.4L engine. Change is not always a good thing, if Mobil 1 or K&N do make one I would be willing too bet they would not flow enough and may even be bypassing most of the time.
Good info as usual Mark. Thanks.

OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks. not bad 2 Viper Super techs weigh in with good info. This is why this Board is so helpful. Within no time I had the answer-- ie this is one of those instances where sticking with a Mopar part is better.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang