Are you curious how Dex-Cool performs in a Viper?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed to Dex-Cool within months of purchasing my new Viper because (in order):

I wanted the water pump to last longer.
I wanted to take advantage of the lastest in coolant technology, including better thermal transfer.
I hate changing coolant (almost as much as ATF changes) and wanted to take advantage of the extended life characteristics.

I was fortunate to have "met" Tom, F&L GoR who worked for Texaco at the time, the sole maker of Dex-Cool, and picked his brain on the technology, field test results, the reported "issues" (lead solder disintegration, poor aluminum protection, cavitation issues and 4.3 sludge problem), and claims that you can't change from green to orange, etc.

I quickly became convinced that it was in fact a better coolant and made the swap. I purchased my GTS new in 2000. It sat on a Vermont Dodge dealer's showroom floor from November of 1996 through September of 2000 so the original green coolant was in the engine for 4 years. I drained the old coolant, refilled with 100% distilled water and heat cycled. Cooled, drained, refilled with distilled and heat cycled again. Did this three times then drained and filled 50% of system capacity with Texaco Dex-Cool then topped off with distilled.

In May of 2004 I had the typical oil leak in the timing chain cover repaired, so the coolant was drained and replaced with fresh Dex-Cool. Today, I decided to replace all of the systems hoses (10 years old, 19,000 miles) and hence another unneeded Dex-Cool change.

Below, you'll find images of various internals which in my mind clearly indicate the level of anti-corrosion capabilities Dex-Cool has. Would factory fill green coolant do as well? I assume so. Rather what I'm demostrating here is the Dex-Cool, despite all the bad press is doing a darn good job of protecting my engine.

You must be registered for see images

Engine Block drain - Hard to focus, but looks nice in there.....

Water Pump (never changed) - Again, pretty clean

Thermostat housing

Heater Core - The silver lump on the right is a solder blob, not corrosion

The amount of coolant in available in the block if you use the block drains. Coolant Looks brand new, (In engine exactly 3 years, and 5,000 miles)

Last edited:

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my H2O pump went out last year on my 01 GTS @ 15k miles...., I opted for the fluidyne radiator as well and went with the Dex-Cool and Royal Purple Water wetter additative. I haven't checked anything since so your analysis is good to see. I guess I'm safe...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very happy to see the pictures, Ron. I had a '92 Ram Van and still have a '96 Dakota on one coolant change and they also look(ed) good. (Besides the Viper and all the other cars...)

kwkshift, mileage is not the major factor - time is.

Green coolant uses additives that come out of solution and look for metal surfaces to attach to the first time it gets heated. This coffee *** was turned on for ~24 hours. The additives don't stick to glass. (This will also happen to unused coolant if you let it sit a long time.)
You must be registered for see images attach

The problem with this chemistry is that after 2-3 years it comes off the metal, too. Now your hard parts are not protected and the cloudy stuff, being a silicate material, will cause abrasive wear on the water pump seals.

It is not like engine oil, which really has a long shelf life (the oil lasts longer than the API service category is was designed for.) Green coolant needs to be changed (or discarded) at least every three years.

All long life chemistries stay in solution and only react to passivate corrosion sites. Therefore they remain "on duty" for a very long time. In fact, you should think of the silicate additive as "used up" almost right away, since a second attack of corrosion cannot be defended against.

I've done some testing to investigate the protection of magnesium (the reason for the Suzuki LT-Z400 ATV recall last year.) Peak Global LongLife antifreeze is also very very good among the commercial products and we came up with one even better. It's interesting stuff...

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, but I changed ISP's and lost the links. Will update the pix this weekend.....