At cross roads, just bought Viper and thinking of selling

FRED02ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

As some of you might have seen I just recently purchased an 02 ACR 1 of 8. I have now been driving it for a couple of weeks after doing tons of mods on it. I just spent like another $15K on new parts/labor.

As much as I love the looks, the raw power and the attention it gets, something in me makes me want to sell it. I think I have been so accustomed to my old porsche that I miss the handling of it, so I am thinking of going back to porsche. We recently did a car ride with the some porsches and lambo's in half moon bay (highway 84) and I was not comfortable around the turns. I think I am so used to AWD. On the straights however Holy Sh...!, move out of my way.

So I would only sell if I could make my money back or just lose a little.

it's a 2002 GTS ACR 1 of 8 with 16K miles. The original owner was 60 years old and never tracked it and I have only driven it a couple hundred miles. And I have put like $15K in mods. I know I will not get much of that back but am interested to see if I could get a good price for it. If so I would be willing to part ways with it.

Car has been tuned with Ted and Allen at Valaya Racing.

thanks everyone.

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

MORE PICS

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is definitely more raw, and not a car for everyone. But it is actually a great handling car.

Perhaps you need some additional track training in the Viper. Everyone benefits from driving school, and getting out on a track with expert instructors who have experience with the Viper at speed can only help.

Unlike the Corvette and Porsche, the Viper doesn't have electronic safety nets built in (and AWD) to cover you at the limit.

So having lots of seat time at the track is probably the best thing to give you confidence in how capable the Viper really is, and give you the added skill to make the most of all of the Viper's power and handling capability. :laugh:

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is your 15k in Mods?!?! Looking at the engine bay it looks like everything is stock....??

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might need more track time. I used to have a M3 and when I first got this car I never thought I would be able to drive it as fast around the twisties as I do now. Just my .02

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$15K????????????? How much did you pay for the short shifter and carbon fiber radio besel?

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is definitely more raw, and not a car for everyone. But it is actually a great handling car.

Perhaps you need some additional track training in the Viper. Everyone benefits from driving school, and getting out on a track with expert instructors who have experience with the Viper at speed can only help.

Agreed! I've whipped up on some Porsche's (GT3's) at the track. And I ****! I thought the Viper wouldn't handle well either, but the more I gave it the more it took. IMO the Viper handles very well and can go up against the best.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>As some of you might have seen I just recently purchased an 02 ACR 1 of 8. I have now been driving it for a couple of weeks after doing tons of mods on it. I just spent like another $15K on new parts/labor. As much as I love the looks, the raw power and the attention it gets, something in me makes me want to sell it. I think I have been so accustomed to my old porsche that I miss the handling of it, so I am thinking of going back to porsche. We recently did a car ride with the some porsches and lambo's in half moon bay (highway 84) and I was not comfortable around the turns. I think I am so used to AWD. On the straights however Holy Sh...!, move out of my way.<<<

WHY (sell)? For heavens sake. Your GTS looks gorgeous!
What did you do for 15K? The car is perfect straight from CAAP. Except for the POWER-JUNKIES there is no need to "rebuilt" the car.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One thing I have learned is when you have an itch for a new car; it is only a matter of time before you get it. No matter what people say you have to go with your gut.

As for the handling, I doubt a AWD 911 handles better than your Viper. I would say you might feel more comfortable driving the 911 fast but I bet the Viper can pull more G's in a turn. Now getting all the power down exiting the turn is where the AWD shines.

OP
OP
F

FRED02ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, thanks for the feedback. As well thanks for correcting me, I was off on my estimates. Around $12K in parts and labor.

For those REALLY interested, here is a list of everything I have done and costs.

I have been modding many cars for years and know first hand that I don't plan to get much money back on any aftermarket stuff. I am just looking for a buyer who wants a car that is now done and doesn't have to deal with taking the car to a shop and having to deal with time and labor, etc.. as this car would have a decent amount of work already done.

so thank you for not flaming here, just looking to see if anyone is interested, if not I will just keep it.

thanks to all of those who have complimented on the car.

-smoked parking light lens, front and rear painted
-MGW shift knob
-96 rt engine controller
-replace front and rear springs,set ride height and corner balance car
-complete alignment
-front 650 pound springs and 850 rear springs
-Balanger headers, high flow exhaust and cat backsystem.
-exhaust pipe and clamps
-roller rockers, modifly valve covers
-Crower harden push rods
-throttle bodys to 62 mm
-Valaya Racing Skid Guards
-carbon fiber wiper cowel
-Viper Carbon Fiber Air Inlet
-Fire Extinguisher
-10 Parts Spark Plugs
-SnakeOyl Mats
-SnakeOyl Trunk tool kit
-SnakeOyl Cargo Cover
-SnakeOyl Carbon Fiber pedals
-MGW Ash Tray
-MGW AC knobs
-Brand new Stereo (removable unit w/G Tech built in)
-RoeRacing Carbon Fiber Dash Kit

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch...you spent 15 grand and added 40 hp.

The car does look very good. Why don't you give it some time before you decide to sell. I think you will be glad if you wait no matter what you decide to do.

OP
OP
F

FRED02ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks guys.

I think it's that I when I saw it and drove it, I had a serious crush ! I don't feel like I am in love. I guess I could grow to love it, but I think I am looking for something else. If that makes sense to anyone.

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Well, we all have our passions. Most of us just haven't lost the 'Viper bug.' Look on the bright side, he's willing to part with that gorgeous ride. So.....how much are you asking? What would you let that 'ol snake go for so you can buy another Porshe????

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right. There's no reason to keep a sports car that doesn't grab you. Sell it and get something that is more too your liking. Seriously, the Viper is a semi-extreme car and isn't for everybody.

As far as handling goes, if you are used to the responses of a particular car, any other car feels 'different' when you first get into it. I have an 05 Evo and a 99 GTS and those two cars feel very different. When I'm used to driving one of them and get into the other one (no matter which way I'm going) the new car always feels funny until I settle in.

Jim

OP
OP
F

FRED02ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid around $60K for it 2 months ago and was told that for that year/model/mileage/condition that it was a fair price. Keep in mind as well that I live in the Bay Area which does usually mean us local guys here do pay more for cars vs other parts of the country. That's just a pain in the ass fact ;-) So with around $12K in stuff done to it where all parts/labor are only weeks old, I was thinking of TRYING to get $67K. This would put me at a decent loss as I know I can't get what I paid for it.

I know some people will say price is too high, but I guarrantee it would cost someone more money and time to get one cheaper and do mods on their own. Therefore I am willing to find the right buyer who understands the time and $ it takes to mod a car.

So I do welcome HONEST feedback and if everyone thinks that I am asking too much, then I will be forced to keep it for awhile as too much invested in it.

thanks again everyone for your great feedback and understanding my situation.

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll think about buying it from you around March if you still have it.

Sorry to hear you think this way about the Viper. It is absolutely gorgeous looking.

Good luck in whatever path you decide to take.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This may be the car you are looking for Dan. Great color combo. Last year of the Gen 2. RARE, 1 or 8. $12k in mods. 16K mi. At $65k, it would be a good deal for both seller and buyer. And just think of the roadtrip from the NW to the SE. It would be a trip that you'd remember for the rest of your life. (Just bring some snow chains).

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a beautiful car! Sure to become a collector in the next decade. I considered buying a porsche due to the amazing amount of track events offerred by the PCA. they virtually own Lime Rock Park as much as they rent it. I owned several Ferraris including a drop dead gorgeous 512BBi. But everything changed for me on 9/11 as I grew up in North Jersey and watched the World Trade Centers being built from the ground up. Made me reconsider where my priorities are. The viper is a special car in the automotive history books. Parts are available and your local dodge dealer can fix everything. Virtually every male in the US wants to own one and a car you will probably regret selling the moment you do so... :usa:

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's winter and just before Christmas. The value of these cars has just been killed during the last two winters it seems. Keep it until Spring and it might fetch more than now. $65K IMHO is high unless you find the "right" buyer. The Mods add nothing to the value, it only sets you apart from the competition.

Wifey's Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$65k seems high. I think you might be lucky to net $60k. Just my $.02. Good luck and I'm guessing you really like carbon fiber.

OP
OP
F

FRED02ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks everyone for the feedback. If I don't find the right buyer I will just keep it. Drove it this morning and it was fun. Man the car gets soo many looks. I think I will play with making the suspension better until a right buyer comes along. It's just to loose right now for me.

I have been tracking my cars at Laguna Seca, Sears point, Button Willow, and Thunderhill for years now so I want a car I feel confident in. Like everyone said, I do need more seat time in the car to understand it's capabilities and limits.

Oh and if I can't get $65K then I won't sell it, end of story.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960