ATF+4 suitable for '92 - '02 Viper Power Steering?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ATF+4 suitable for \'92 - \'02 Viper Power Steering?

1. Was told by a Viper tech that all year Vipers can use ATF+4 in place of traditional Mopar Power Steering fluid.

2. ATF+4 bottle states that it can be used only on "post 1998" Chrysler power steering systems.

3. Mopar All Climate P/S fluid is now discontinued and ATF+4 is superceeded by ATF+4.

The question.... Can a 1996 GTS use ATF+4 and if so, is ATF+4 a superior fluid?

Thanks

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: ATF+4 suitable for \'92 - \'02 Viper Power Steering?

WHAT?
That's not a Viper Tech your talking to!! He's full of it!! :confused:

"Power Steering Fluid" from "Mopar" #4883077 "For use in all P/S systems."

DC is just starting to use ATF-4 in some of their vehicles [03 Caravans].
92-02 Vipers USE 4883077 fluid!

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As I suspected Chuck, Thanks!

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Tom, should have asked you first!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The "SUPREME and <REAL>" Viper tech has spoken! (again) LOL!!
Thanks Chuck!

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A few months ago my steering rack had to be replaced on my SRT/10, and the Viper Tech (who I trust completely) told me that DC says that factory fill is PS fluid, but refill after repair is with ATF. Granted, this is not the Gen 1/2 power steering system, but maybe this Viper tech was thinking about Gen 3s.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm pulling an old post out.
Local Viper owner came over Saturday and we changed his trans, diff, brake, clutch and power steering fluids. Everything went smooth on the Cytech DoublePark lift, I love that thing. Got to the power steering and after we had the old fluid out, he handed me the ATF fluid the dealer told him to put in. We debated this and pulled out his 99 GTS Service Manual. It specifically states in bold letter to NOT use Automatic Trans Fluid.
I ended up draining my fluid and putting it in his just to get him home. I'll buy Mopar #4883077 as the Wizard says to refill.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The main difference (and it is not so different as years ago) is that PSF needs more anti-wear performance to protect the high pressure vane pump in a power steering application. The ATF doesn't have this level of wear protection, and it's more of a balancing act anyway due to the controlled friction required for ATF.

ATF + (a little more anti-wear) = PSF

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a power steering pump problem with my Taurus and decided not to pull the fluid out of the pump via suction like I usually do, (via a Vacula) and replace repetitively to purge old, but instead to disconnect the return hose, place it into a container and pour fresh quarts of new PS fluid while my son spun the wheel left and right with engine on.

Bad idea.... the velocity of the return line turned it into a spitting snake while the screaming of my quickly dry pump demanded more fluid all the while, despite my yelling, my son dutifully continued turning the wheel left and right. In the end, 6 quarts of PSF all over the garage including the Viper.

Live and learn.

3snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score

yrs. ago you both hoses were the same on power seerting. hook them up wrong turn the wheel it would take off turning by itself. chuck i think i will use the fliud you say to use.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How much is needed? I bought one bottle (quart), used turkey baster to **** out, filled...only tool about 1/3 of the bottle...took a drive...next day repeated.

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Craig,

The way your doing it, (and I should have) via dilution, it's straight math. At what level of dilution do you feel the fluid is fresh? For me, I'd like over 80%. Of course to be 100% accurate you need the capacity which I don't know, but if you were to guess around 3 qts you'd probably be close.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

For what it's worth, I usually go through 2 qts. for the whole process...and, have been quite satisfied...using the Mopar fluid mentioned above by Viper Wizard. :2tu:

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2 or 3 quarts? Are you guys serious? Hmmm, maybe I should reconsider.

I only used 1 quart. I sucked out all I could and it came out to be about 1/3 of the bottle. I'm going to do it again tonight and I'll see how much I have left over.

With 2 or 3 quarts, you'd do the process 5, 6, or maybe even up to 8 times. Isn't that overkill?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

UPDATED INFO FROM ANOTHER THREAD on 7/7/04:

" THANKS, Tom (Sessions)...can see how this is confusing folks since the fluid recommemded in the RECALL on Cooling Mod/Steering IS WRONG (and REMAINS UNCORRECTED in the downloadable recall database !!!).

TSB from Aug 03 makes it clear that WE NEED TO USE ATF+4 in 2003 and 2004 Viper SRT-10's "

THANKS, again, Tom, Mike, and Viper Wizard for your help !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang