ATTN Trackrats: Dimple on outside of tire - dangerous?

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My outside edges were wearing so I had my front PS2 tires switched from side to side to get more use from them.
The tire store said I had this dimple on the inside of one of the tires. Now that they are switched, the dimple is on the outside. I plan on doing the track days at VOI. How safe/unsafe is this condition.

IMG_3551.JPG

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've seen some insane videos of how much tires flex under cornering.

The cost of a new tire is much less than a new car, or your life.

Replace it before you track it to be safe.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't track it.

btw...VIR is an awsome course, have you run it before?

I am jealous.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd call Michelin first. They have warranteed 2 sets of tires for me in the last 10 years just because they wore out faster than the should and because I asked. They are great to work with. If that tire is relatively new I'd call them. Don't mention racing obviously.
Good luck

racerjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is an impact scar most likely from a pothole or the like. what is accually wrong is a belt in the sidewall is broken. its garbage, i wouldn't even drive it on the street. just not worth it when it blows out and wrecks the body.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not even really safe to drive on the street let alone the track.

I have a PS2 345/30/19 sitting in my room with 3 sidewall bubbles in it. Less than 1k miles on it and Michelin denied my claim. They said I had to of hit something. I told them there was no way in hell.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Internal tire damage, DO NOT use. I wouldn't even recommend driving on the street with it for very long.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My outside edges were wearing so I had my front PS2 tires switched from side to side to get more use from them.
The tire store said I had this dimple on the inside of one of the tires. Now that they are switched, the dimple is on the outside. I plan on doing the track days at VOI. How safe/unsafe is this condition.

That is what I expected. Better call JonB.

YIKES !!! URGENT ! Please let me clarify some mis-information about rotating PS-2 Tires.

PLEASE, NO ONE SHOULD EVER ROTATE PS-2 TIRES SO THAT THE "OUTSIDE" SHOULDER BECOMES THE "INSIDE" ....that tire store made a BIG mistake!!!

On PS-2 Tires the sidewall is marked "OUTSIDE". It Must Stay OUTSIDE.

This tire is an assymetrical tire, but a non-directional tire. This means you CAN rotate the left wheel/tire to the right, and visa-versa. Rotating the entire wheel/tire assembly ensures the OUTSIDE shoulder STAYS OUTSIDE.

On the older, DIRECTIONAL Pilot Sports, you could NOT do this. They would have to be dismounted to rotate them. {Some call the older tire the PS-1, but there was no such thing}

Detlef,

That looks dangerous Sir! You are very observant or fortunate to discover this issue. As stated, a likely impact event broke a belt. Unless that is tire mold rind, you can clearly see the impact split in the tread outboard of the '7' in the '275'-size. Thank you very much for trusting to contact me on this. Since you were NOT the original buyer of these tires, there is no warrantee support likely from Michelin.

Your tread is also worn down, so do NOT replace ONE FRONT now, or you will create a too-tall stagger on that car. The new tire will be 3-4/32 too tall compared to its mate on the other side. OK for your fathers oldsmobile, but NOT for a race-car chassis. The car will track to the low side, and pull low even harder when braking. You gotta buy TWO tires, ASAP. {Sorry U wrote?}

Since you are tracking a lot, you may want to consider 285 or 295 widths, together with accurate monitoring of temps and pressures, will brake, handle, and wear better. Those that track or Auto-Cross with any frequency MUST consider a performance alignment to protect those sticky-soft PS-2 shoulders! They need to be flat when cornering, and so need some negative camber at all other times, so they do not scrubb off prematurely.

With negative camber, you have the wheels "tip in" at the top, they become FLAT in corners. Yes, you do scrub your inner shoulders faster, but on a PS2, those are harder, and better suited. And they wont rut-track as badly with a performance alignment, either.

PPS: My wife says ALL the sidewalls on her tires are, well, er, uhh: OUTSIDE.

Last edited:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you track a bit, you might want to consider more of a dedicated 'track' tire.

JonB sells them, you can pick up a slightly used set of Toyo R888's at a killer price, they are street legal too and you'll have a lot more fun at the track:D I was tracking with my PS2's, now that I have experienced the Toyo's it would be reaaaalllly hard to go back:lmao:

Like Jon says, run a wider tire up front, at LEAST a 295.

OP
OP
D

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those that track or Auto-Cross with any frequency MUST consider a performance alignment to protect those sticky-soft PS-2 shoulders! They need to be flat when cornering, and so need some negative camber at all other times, so they do not scrubb off prematurely.

With negative camber, you have the wheels "tip in" at the top, they become FLAT in corners. Yes, you do scrub your inner shoulders faster, but on a PS2, those are harder, and better suited. And they wont rut-track as badly with a performance alignment, either.

I track about twice per year so not alot, but would be interested in what a track alignment for PS2's is all about. Should I just remove the sport shimms or is there more to it?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The sport shims will indeed be a temporary track-day solution for you, with a NOTICABLE handling improvement. Technically, the TOE should be adjsuted when you pull the shims....but for short to-from events I never bothered.

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
.....jon beat me on the swapping front tires from side to side.

Plum, Was it on a MONDAY? I usually reserve all beatings for MONDAYS! Other days I just SCOLD you.

PS: It is OK to swap Wheels AND PS2 Tires, as an assembly, side to side.

Last edited:

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like the inner liner has ruptured ... the tire needs to be replaced as it will not pass tech ...