Audio and Exhaust Modification - Question???

Kevin Stitely

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that I've had ~8 weeks to bond with the snake, there's two things that must be done. Upgrade the audio and exhaust systems.

Audio System - a search through the archives leaves me to believe Kenwood is a good choice. For those who have Kenwood systems, pls provide feedback on your satisfaction...include the model number and speaker size and type. Maryland owners - any recommendation on good audio stores near Annapolis?

Exhaust - in lieu of replacing the exhaust system, I was thinking about replacing the rear exhaust with straight pipes. How will this change the sound...better or worst? What about long term effect on the engine? Will it pass MD emissions test?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you replace the rear of the exhaust with just straight pipes, which can be done for a low cost (ie only remove rear muffler, and not fit a cat-back which replaces the resonators also) it will sound a little better, and be slightly louder, but not that noticeably.

If you want good sound do a cat-back, (and if you want loud do high-flow cats and headers!).

Straight pipes replacing rear muffler, or the cat-back systems will not effect you emissions.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bounce.gif
I run straights from the cats back and I love the sound.
bounce.gif

OP
OP
K

Kevin Stitely

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really following the "Del....Oooops!!" comment. As a newbie to the viper club I'm trying to leverage the board to make informed decisions...forgive the rookie style questioning.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could also come to the Viper/Vette shootout at MIR in Budds Creek, MD on May 4th. There's probably going to be a few Vipers and you can get a good idea what the different exhaust systems sound like.

I have the Kenwood Excelon system with the Polk Momo speakers. I'm quite happy with the system. Auto Radio Center in Rockville sold me my setup and did a great job with the installation.

OP
OP
K

Kevin Stitely

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do plan on attending the shootout at Budd's Creek on May 4th. Great suggestion! What was the installation time on the audio system...same day of purchase?

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin Stitely:
I do plan on attending the shootout at Budd's Creek on May 4th. Great suggestion! What was the installation time on the audio system...same day of purchase?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought the system and came back for the install a few days later but it did take a couple of days to do the work. But I had all speakers and tweeters replaced including a custom tweeter installed in the column behind the seats (very nicely done!) as well as an amplifier, CD changer, and powered subwoofer in the trunk.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin, are you looking for more power too, besides better sound? Removing the rear muffler for straight pipes apparently gives about 7 bhp, a cat back can give you more horse power again too. As does changing the exhaust manifolds for headers. Fitting high-flow cats will help your sills run cooler and make things louder.

It is good to see / hear the mods other owners have done at the club events, and talk to them on ease of install, prices etc. It will help you make up your mind on what systems best for you.

Enjoy!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replace the rear muffler with pipes at any muffler shop for less than $150. It won't be too loud but it will sound much better.

Take your time deciding on audio. I've known a few people that invested in stereos and regret it because the Viper, particularly the RT/10 is not the best car for hi fi.

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where can one buy the pipes to replace the muffler and do the job themselves?

Thanks