Audio guys

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Question for the audio/wiring experts out there..

my 2000 GTS has an aftermarket GPS/Mp3/CD player (Avic N1), as well as an after market AMP, Multi CD reader, and aftermarket speakers connected to it.

yesterday, my head unit went out and I contacted Pioneer add they said send it in for repairs... but it may take "up to a month" for the repair!

Now... a month without music in my car is a bit too much, so I figured Id put the stock deck back in.

I go to install the stock deck and can only find the power cable... put it in, stock deck powers up but no noise coming from the speakers.

What gives?

Isnt the "power cable" what supplies the noise to the speakers as well? Or should I be looking for another cable? The only other cable I know of is the radio cord, but Im guessing that wouldnt help anyway.

Anyone?

Reaction score
When the aftermarket deck was installed they had to run line level wiring to the amp and then to the speakers. There should be a few or one big plus tucked down in the dash somewhere. If not then they may have rid the car of it and the factory amp.

Good luck,

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There should be a wiring harness that goes into the back, as well as an antenna cable. The wiring harness will carry the positive and negative signals from the head unit to each of your speakers, plus has the power, the ground and sometimes a dimmer control. Those are the basics. Depending on how sophisticated the unit is (mine is aftermarket in my Gen. I) it may have more.

Unless whoever installed your radio cut the harness off, it should still be in there and plug right into your factory deck.

doug fresh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That plug should be a din plug, see if you can find the other end, should be where the factory amp was(drivers side rear quarter. if you find it and it hasn't been chopped up you can go to a radio shack or somebody in your area that sells Alpine and order a din-to-rca adapter. That will give you low level outputs (rca's), then run an rca wire from adapter to the amp.

OP
OP
H

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the stock amp has ben removed and is sitting in my room...
the car has aftermarket amp and speakers, as well as the Mp3/Cd/GPS head
unit...

Got a pic to better explain everything

You must be registered for see images attach

#1 is what gets plugged in into my stock deck and gives it power... but no noise comes from the speakers.

#2, 3 and 4 dont fit into the stock radio anywhere... they appear to all be for the aftermarket Pioneer unit...

So I get power to my stock radio, but no noise...

what do i do?

OP
OP
H

Hyru

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There should be a wiring harness that goes into the back, as well as an antenna cable. The wiring harness will carry the positive and negative signals from the head unit to each of your speakers, plus has the power, the ground and sometimes a dimmer control. Those are the basics. Depending on how sophisticated the unit is (mine is aftermarket in my Gen. I) it may have more.

Unless whoever installed your radio cut the harness off, it should still be in there and plug right into your factory deck.

#1 in the pic above is what gives power to my stock radio... but theres no sound coming from the speakers. Im guessing the wiring has somehow been altered to fit the requirements of the amp and/or aftermarket speakers.....

Just not sure what I got to do to get sound from my stock deck

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay
The little black box by 1 is or should be your in-line fuse for the Pioneer unit, open it up and check to make sure it's not just the fuse that is blown. I'd hate to see you have to send the Pioneer back for no reason and be charged on top of everything! They probably rewired the entire car for the aftermarket audio!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Doug Fresh said, you have to find your DIN cable if you want to revert back to the stock set up. I don't see the DIN cable in your picture. You have to get it connected back into the stock amp to get sound to your speakers.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe you drew all over your dash with a yellow crayon!!!

Really though, when I put my new & modern Alpine head unit in my '01, the factory wiring harnesses were modified to the point there was not an easy reverse button on that installation. Kind of a one way ticket.

Good luck. Just roll the windows down and listen to that radio.