Average Age

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct, 47 for Viper, 45 for Corvette. Also compared the average age of buyers for the rest of the DC line..45. It listed about 5 companies, average age seemed to be in the forties for all of them.

Well it looks like you guys are a bunch of old farts. :smirk:

Funny thing is I drove vettes since I was in my 20's and my nieces use to say they always see old guys driving vettes, why do I, now I am that old guy driving the vette. Although the viper is more age appropiate for me. Soon!

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not that I consider anyone's comments were directed towards me but I figure I should give a simple defense regardless.

I myself wasn't gloating, just answering the question asked for this thread. I have in no way been eating bread and water all my life but the spoon I eat with is made from stainless steel rather than silver. I'm not a child prodigy nor a savvy entrepreneur. I work a job few do and get paid quite well to do it. I consider myself quite poor by this boards standards but am able to save well and afford the Viper and the premiums that go with it. I am unmarried and have zero financial obligations. I figure this is one of the best times of my life to own a car like this and I took the plunge. Most people under 25 that own anything in the $40-$75k range are either getting paid quite well and have little or no expenses, are in debt up to their eyeballs, or got a $50k graduation present after college/highschool.

Cheers,

Adam

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can chill out a little there. I bought my first viper on my own at 23 and my Final Edition at 24. I did it all myself with no financial help from my parents. Jeeze, chill. I get annoyed with young guys who think they are hot $hit because mommy and daddy buy them expensive cars too but there are some of us who have worked hard and done well enough on our own to have a little fun here and there.

Makara, I'm chilled out like a fine bottle of Dom Perignon in a bucket of ice. :D I have no beef with you or how you got your Viper nor was anything I said aimed at anyone in this thread in particular. If you got your Viper all on your own, then props go out to you. Good for you. I remember you saying awhile back that you could have gone into your families business and taken the easy route but ventured off on your own.

I just get a little sick of the "I got my Viper when I was 21 top that" followed by the well I got my Viper when I was 16 top that" kind of threads. Basically people gloating, and probably most of them didn't make the money to buy it on their own anyways. Plus the people who got their Viper with mom and dad's money and act like everyone else is trash when all they've accomplished is taken their parents money. You all know who I'm talking about. Well, I'm off my soap box now.

Reaction score
Well, I got my Viper when I was 35, so THERE! :) And I didn't use mommy and daddy's money either! I got mine the old, OLD fashioned way! :)

Dom on ice, eh? I'm coming to the Motor City!! :)

Oh....you can click on your Avatar now. :) I know....I know....I move like elephants......... :)

BarbaraAnn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When anyone "has money", whether he/she earned it or inherited it, the important thing is what he/she DOES with the money. There are many worse things to do with money than buying a Viper. Owning a Viper puts one in touch with some really good people...nice people...worthwhile people. My kids will "inherit" their Vipers (when I get too old to drive them...and the kids can afford the insurance and upkeep), but they will still be the same kids: Hard-working, responsible, good citizens, and so on. Don't be too quick to condemn people who inherit "stuff"!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BarbaraAnn, I totally agree with you. Just because a person gets a Viper from their parents does not mean they are any "less" of a person. Yes, there are the FEW that say OK I got the car and I am better than you but most of these younger owners are not like that. I can tell you that I am not like that! Just because I was fortunate enough to have my parents purchase the car for me does not mean anything. I am still a motivated and hardworking person. I own an Internet company, worked at a cruise broker, and study real estate, let alone do well in school. I DO NOT want to make myself look better than anyone, I am just using this as an example. The few kids out there with the cars that do not do anything for it and act like jerks DO NOT represent the whole "young" portion of the Viper club.

SRTaj10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BarbaraAnn and F355 I could not aggree with the both of you more. I know I am not "less" of a person because my family helped me buy my car nor am I gloating and saying that I am 23 and drive a Viper that I bought with "my own money." If anything I am greatful for being blessed with the family I have. I just hope I can one day give my son or daughter everything and more my parents have given me. More importantly as I get older and even more established I want to give back to my parents in every way that I can. Trust me, a first year officer (2nd LT) in the Marine Corps does not make enough "cheddar" to drive a Viper. It just goes to show that my parents are proud of me and that makes it all the mroe better. After reading some of the posts on this thread one feels compelled to defend themselves and that shouldn't be the case. We are all proud Viper owners, thats what brings us together. I just don't think age, profession and financial status is enough to make assumptions on certain individuals. I now also know not to take part in silly threads such as these :)

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BarbaraAnn and F355 I could not aggree with the both of you more. I know I am not "less" of a person because my family helped me buy my car nor am I gloating and saying that I am 23 and drive a Viper that I bought with "my own money." I just don't think age, profession and financial status is enough to make assumptions on certain individuals.

No one is saying anyone is "less" of a person because their parents bought them a car. I certainly never said that. Maybe you read into it too much. And if some young person wants to buy a Viper then more power to them. I never said they didn't have a right to. By all means if you have the means then have fun with it. If someone's mom and dad wants to buy them a car then that's their business. If my parents were rolling in dough enough to buy me a brand new Viper when I was younger I guess I wouldn't turn it down. If I ever get around to having kids and have enough money where it would be a drop in the bucket to give my kid an expensive car then maybe I'd do that. I don't know. I don't want them turning into a spoiled brat that everyone hates though either. But there are some young individuals on here (not in this thread mind you) who feel the need to gloat and think they are better than others because they own a Viper and are only X number of years old when they got the car bought and paid for from their parents. So I say what is so special about a kid just getting a car handed to them? I am more impressed with someone who got the car with their own hard earned money. As some of the young people here did, but in reality that is few and far between especially if they bought a brand new one at $80,000. I'm not condemning people who did just get a car handed to them because they are not all like that. But many that I have met throughout my life are.

My personal situation, I bought my Viper when I was 30. I waited until I had a house for a few years until I decided to spend my money on something like that. I guess if used Vipers were around when I got out of college and at the prices they are at today then I probably could have got a used one right out of college when I was 22 with my own money if I had my heart set on it. So I can see where someone around that age right now could buy one all with their own cash. But at 16 or 18 it would be pretty rare. To tell the truth though, the Viper came out about 2 years after I got out of college and I wasn't too thrilled with the looks. But I loved the GTS when it came out. All the money I made in college went to pay for my own college education. I got a small scholarship and then worked my tail off in the school year and summer and ended up graduating with zero debt. No loans, nothing and all with no help from my parents. I didn't expect my parents to pay for it like a lot of people seem to. Especially these days. I didn't ask for anything from them. And I was about the best kid a parent could ask for. They just weren't rolling in dough. But now I have a certain satisfaction that everything I have was earned by me. It doesn't make me feel better than someone who had it all handed to them, but I have a sense of humility. Something I have not seen from some young people on this board, and I am not talking about the few young people posting in this particular thread.

SRTaj10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motor City Mad Man no hard feelings. I was just stating my opinon thats all. This thread turned into a real good discussion topic. I understand where your coming from and I am positive your family is mroe than proud of you. If I could have payed for the car myself and for not just half of it I would have, in fact if I had the money I would have bought the car for my dad and then let him give it to me :) In all seriousness though car or no car we are all indebted to our families and I hope one day I can give back to them atleast half of what they have given me. As long as they continue to be proud of me fro who I am and what I am doing with my life I am content.

JoeD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's a new slant -

I've worked my **** off consistently as an average U.S. earner for nearly 30 years. Have bought many family cars, with the family's budgeted savings.

Bought MYSELF a Prowler on my 45th with the family's money (or so griped the then wife). Bolted on ~100rwhp and lotsa pretty stuff using the same fund ($$cha-ching$$). She's quick, fun and passionate.

Wife became disturbed and decided her half of that fund would be best spent on herself vs split 4 ways. Gave me the boys (then 9 & 13 years old) in exchange for "the fund" (including college and retirement) and half "her perceived value" of our other miscellaneous assets. The X is now living "free" and STILL worklessly in "her" house on the beach in Fl (better her than both attorney's).

Borrowed for my GTS soon after my 46th because: 1)life seemed too short, 2)divorce s#cks, 3) thought rationalization might work better than planning/budgeting, and 4) my boys said they'd rather see "US" have both Kat-n-Snake NOW than college assistance later.

Guess I had to vent but -
Looks like I'm just the avg aged Snake owner, but would like to skew that num higher by getting another in a few years. I ?plan? to keep both my current toys as long as I can get in-n-out of 'em and afford them; and would love to see my boys EARN enough to BUY them from me at a young age, then skewing that average back down.

It's a SUPER car! :2tu: More power to you young'ns that can RESPECT her power and HAVE EARNED one. That's :usa: OUR WAY :usa: ...respect, opportunity, hard work and play hard!

BarbaraAnn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of what's been said applies to cars in general--not just Vipers. We always said we wouldn't buy our kids anything with a motor, and stuck to that with the older boys with excellent results. The younger kids were in boarding schools in Europe, and couldn't have part-time jobs, so we bought "modest" cars for them. The first kid had something go wrong with his and abandoned it on a Houston freeway; the second kid wrecked his and it sat on a Utah State Univ. parking lot while we continued to pay insurance on it; the third kid hot-rodded hers until we took it away and traded it in on a truck for ourselves. It's better if they buy their own... We'd never buy a kid a Viper. No way!

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2001 ZO6 , a 2004 Hemi quad cab I just bought my first Viper, a 2000 ACR with 2000 miles . I'm only 23.I'll be purchasing an 05 H2 as soon as they come out to. Ive never had anything given to me . I graduated high school early and went right into the work force . Ive attained everything I own from hard labor. I started by working on drilling rigs and worked my way up. I move them now which is less physicaly demanding but I still but in some weeks 100 hours and more than 400 hours a month frequently. Everything I have my new house ect. Ive earned through hard long hours of blood sweat and hard labour. I'm proud of what i've attained and not afraid to say it . I know a lot of people that are given so much and have no work ethic and don't apprciate anything . I love everything I've worked for . And now sense comeing on to this sight I recently enjoy chatting with all the great guys on here . And hearing about people like me that respect what they have and had to attain it the hard way.

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure what the average is but If I sold mine the average age could possible drop by 3 to 5 years, maybe more. Actually I own 2 Vipers so if I sold both of them the average could drop into the teens.

rohn

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala