B&M Ripper install issue...

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Searched the forums and could not see anything that would help me for the issue I'm having.

Car is a 2001 RT/10. I started the install intending to go from the bottom, but after spending a few minutes popping the rubber boot off, it was just too tempting to just install from the top. I have no regrets thus far except...

When going to install the new shifter, I can't get the shifter to get in under the ashtray recess in the tranny tunnel.

I've noticed that the B&M surround is a lot taller than the stock one, and the lower pin (with the ball on it) seems longer as well.

Should I just drop the tranny, install the shifter and then raise the tranny back up hoping all will fit again? Should I remove the ash tray recess?

I'm also going to be swapping out my motor and tranny mounts with the poly ones. I took a look under there and my tranny mount is totally shredded! Could that have something to do with things? I would have thought if anything the shredded mount would cause the tranny to sit lower, not higher, but ?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You must be registered for see images

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed my SVS shifter from underneath and did drop the tranny about 1-2". It was fairly easy to do. Since you're going to be under there now would be a good time to swap the tranny mount with one from DavesBigBrakes. Verify you have the right B&M shifter for your model/year Viper.

OP
OP
B

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct model was verified with Jon B. Tranny mount will be getting swapped out as well. Fitment is the issue I'm having right now...

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my hurst shifter install. First thing your gonna have to do is pull the tranny mount and lower the tranny. Should give you plenty of room. Also, another thing to check is your pass. side motor mount. See if it has "creeped" up the slot. If it is, loosen it and get it back down to the bottom of the slot. That should give you a little more room as well.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats the issue with the short throw shifters. It seems like the shifter was an after thought when they made the car.

OP
OP
B

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll drop the tranny tonight and get the shifter installed. Right after that is the engine mounts. Hopefully between all of those replacement mounts, the tranny will sit properly and everything will fit well.

Thanks for the input!

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats the issue with the short throw shifters. It seems like the shifter was an after thought when they made the car.

Seems like everything but going fast was an after thought:rolaugh:
Yep, you need to lower the tranny down.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lowering the tranny is just temporary. You have to put it back.

yeah, your just dropping it so you can slide the shifter in. Then put it back into place with the new mount. Also, you don't NEED to use the spacer plate that came with the new mount(I'm assuing you got a poly mount from DBB or partsrack). This will give you extra room if you need it when putting everything back into place.

97 gts vettslayr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I installed the B&M ripper shifter from the top on my 97 gts and had absolutely no issues. I did however drill two 1/2" holes above the two bolts on the passanger side according to the instructions, and was able to remove and install the bolts easily. The shifter came with self-tapping bolts to use in place of the rivets that hold the shifter boot on. If you bought the shifter new it should have had the instructions and the bolts with it. I hope this helps, good luck.:drive:

OP
OP
B

BullRider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dropped the tranny this morning and got the shifter in, no problem. I got the new tranny mounts in (see my other post) and everything is tight and sitting pretty now.

Thanks for your input, guys!

(what a difference in feel for the short throw! I cut down my stock knob and used it. Looks awesome!)