backfire

Bigot Bledsoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my car recently began hesitating under acceleration and progressively started to backfire. i replaced the plugs, wires, coils ,O2 sensors, ran sea foam thru the fuel system and engine and it still backfires(pops) when the car is running regardless if it's at idle or under acceleration.

I began unplugging the injectors one by one. The backfire stopped when i unplugged the injector on cylinder 3....So, where should I go from here?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have a Viper? And, you're listed as an enthusiast? PM your VIN# to the moderators to upgrade you to Viper Owner, and join the VCA...you'll get MUCH more help that way~! (1-800-998-1110, or vipermagazine.com, have your VIN# handy for both)
(moderators: lee00blacksilvergts, vipertony, citysnake, leslie, big-n-italian, kcobean)
Good Luck...also maybe call Chuck Tator 1-914-763-3136...tho he's in a fight for his dealership right now. Call and find out! ~juli

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my car recently began hesitating under acceleration and progressively started to backfire. i replaced the plugs, wires, coils ,O2 sensors, ran sea foam thru the fuel system and engine and it still backfires(pops) when the car is running regardless if it's at idle or under acceleration.

I began unplugging the injectors one by one. The backfire stopped when i unplugged the injector on cylinder 3....So, where should I go from here?

What year is it and how many miles?

My first guess is you have a bad exhaust valve. Have you done a compression check on it yet? You might have a burnt valve, or a busted spring.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Anything different on plug #3 that you removed??

I might swap in a new injector to #3 cylinder as a test.

OP
OP
B

Bigot Bledsoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year is it and how many miles?

My first guess is you have a bad exhaust valve. Have you done a compression check on it yet? You might have a burnt valve, or a busted spring.

01, 60k miles. Have not done a compression check

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A mechanic is needed. As mentioned, swap the injector and see if the problem goes with it, if not, a vacuum gauge will show a burnt valve and it's easily performed. Then a leak done test should be done. Don't think I've ever heard of a burnt valve on this site. Good luck. If it is a burnt valve, look for a lean condition in that cylinder--vacuum leak etc.

OP
OP
B

Bigot Bledsoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A mechanic is needed. As mentioned, swap the injector and see if the problem goes with it, if not, a vacuum gauge will show a burnt valve and it's easily performed. Then a leak done test should be done. Don't think I've ever heard of a burnt valve on this site. Good luck. If it is a burnt valve, look for a lean condition in that cylinder--vacuum leak etc.

Swapped the injector and no luck, ruled that out so now i'll move on to the next steps. Thank you

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
next time instead of swaping the injector,listed to it with a auto stethascope,if it isnt ticin,it aint workn.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How backfire up front, say before the cats? Is that pre-backfire? I ask that because I was getting pre-backfire when I had an exhaust leak on crappy Borla headers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4