backfire

badasp2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how would I fix a 95 r/t from backfiring ?? started after I deleted the cats. o2 sensors are before the cats'''''' changed plugs, wires ''

OP
OP
B

badasp2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey Plum,, it is on decel, what do you mean by tuned out ??

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine pops when I down shift and I love that! People ask me how do I get my car to do that cause they want theirs to do that too.:scool: I tell then you need to buy a Viper then we will talk.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned a lot of cars which backfired, all were set a bit rich, I assume it's normal.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be after-fire. If it's back-firing & stuttering, check all your vacuum hoses.

Nick

OP
OP
B

badasp2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no stuttering at all, just a backfire once in a while after decel. or a shift

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, that's afterfire. A tune will lessen it, but the popping on deceleration will not stop, unless you put in a cat.

Nick

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A hot cat will burn off any extra fuel in the exhaust to clean up emissions.

Removing your cats will allow this extra fuel to be dumped down the exhaust. That is what is exploding to cause your afterfire.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be after-fire. If it's back-firing & stuttering, check all your vacuum hoses.

Nick

right, after-fire and backfire are 2 different things. There is nothing wrong with afterfire as almost every viper has some degree of it especally when going from stock cats to hi-flows or none. Basicaly the injectors continue to spit fuel during deaccel to prevent severe engine braking. Some of the extra fuel explodes somewhere in the exhaust system downstream of the headers once hitting fresher air. With cats this rich mixture is somewhate neutralized. Good resonators/mufflers can block some of the sound if that is your goal. I always reccommend replacing a cat with a straight thru-muffler/resonator rather than just a straight pipe.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine pops when I down shift and I love that! People ask me how do I get my car to do that cause they want theirs to do that too.:scool: I tell then you need to buy a Viper then we will talk.

I own a viper, so whats the secret bud? :smirk:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how would I fix a 95 r/t from backfiring ?? started after I deleted the cats. o2 sensors are before the cats'''''' changed plugs, wires ''

If you have a VEC, you can turn the fuel off at high vacuum. Some of Sean's canned tunes already had that included.

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score

UPDATE, I have to do something about this, local cops are watching me now.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everybody watches you, you drive a viper! But maybe you can mount the sidepipes back, than you have sidefire!
Possibly you can finetune it out, but it is quite normal so I'm afraid this won't be easy...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960