Bad experience, twice with a Viper Parts Vendor!!

FRANK RT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<FONT size="4">I have to say that JonB did a good job with the purchase I made from him and the after the sale issues that came up were handled without any problem and to top it off he saved me money.</FONT s>

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen the dark side of Jon B. But I stuck to my objective and worked out my problem. I would buy from him again. But have a different additude going in. Jon is in business, he's not my pal. Stick to business.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon kind of takes you by surprise the first time you call.

He reminds me of the the Video guy I work with. Everything I've bought from him I felt like I paid too much and got more than I really wanted.

15 years after dealing with him (the video guy) everything still works and looks great. I tend to get cheap in areas where I shouldn't.

I think Jon likes quality material.

He's not dealing with mass produced equipment like Best Buy, so put up with him.

If you think he's rough, just get into the Video business.

Frequently you have to call stores (I will not mention thier names) in Manhattan. I usually have to take some ****** before talking to those guys because I get so po'ed.

I would give Jon a positive review.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 - Many Viper parts vendors are part-time viper vendors and full time "other". JonB is not... Full-time Viper.

2 - I've had nothing but positive experiences with JonB. He's taken care of me in both new and used purchases.

3 - The full-time Viper parts folks have nothing but their reputation to go on. Think of those who do NOT have a reputation anymore... Give these guys a chance and if something was _not_ right at first, they WILL make it right. Or at least try. Not everyone _wants_ it to be right.

4 - I got more aftermarket viper parts on my car than I know what to do with. I am yet to have a bad experience w/ a viper vendor b/c I use those w/ good reputations. JonB, DLM, Woodhouse... Any complaints I'd ever hear about any of those three would could as statistical anomalies to me. There are just few and far between.

weed43

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will make this short,I will shop for all my parts with Jonb and no doubt buy all my parts from Jonb, the man does an outstanding job of working with me and has saved my as# on more than one occasion.

ACR Larry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW! If you think JonB gives you poor customer service, you obviously don't have to deal with they type of people I have to deal with on a daily basis.

I have purchased from JonB a number of times. This guy goes WAY out of his way to make sure the customer completely understands everything about the purchase, and then continues to give you fantastic support as long as needed. I must live in a different environment. Most vendors can give a hoot about their customer, but JonB (and all the other Viper vendors I have dealt with) truly have a passion for their job and it shows in a very positive way.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ooooh what a great time to plug the free market. I love capitalism!

If you don't like one vendor there are always others to choose from...

Chuck Tator
Doug Levin
Sean Roe

I have purchased from the above three and gotten the best service anywhere.

OP
OP
B

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck Tator & Sean Roe have had my business for over 3 years. Not one complaint, not that it matters. To some people HMS is still a great guy... Also, I liked the thin skin comment, even though he doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. I'm glad most people have had great service. That's what this post is really about. Its not about someone getting there feelings hurt. Thanks guys for all the publicity, Bob Jenkins bought the tires last night from me local. New Pilot Sports with road hazard $825.
bounce.gif

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NCVCA:
Pleaaaaaaaaase,

Skip the "he was banned" story... that has no legs.

There is a LOT more to that story and everyone involved looks back on that as a wild time in the history of the board. I was part of it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite true, and that situation was eventually resolved (saw the meeting of the two at VOI7, quite the tear-jerker
wink.gif
). At that time I also posted of my experience with JonB, which IMO involved excessive rudeness/attitude, but JonB personally emailed me (and I saw him at VOI7) and I have no particular issues with him, and have since called him about tires when doing price comparisons. I don't think he's a crook by any means and I don't think anyone has suggested such, but I think he does have a business that he needs to make a profit in so he can make a living though and that needs to be understood.

It is important that people can air out their experiences with vendors, tuners, etc., so that others can avoid Lublin's experience with HMS, if the particular individual is such, or if they see very few negative experiences, they can see that they might want to deal with them. I would be surprised if every vendor, tuner, etc., didn't have at least 1 or 2 detractors, because you can't please everyone, and given the few negative experiences posted about JonB (hopefully because there haven't been, rather than a fear to post about them), JonB seems good for many to deal with.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has been said many times, but I feel the need to add my 0.02...I agree my first or second call to Jon surprised me a little, and he was business like and direct...But it got better. My first call to the Wizard, man, I felt like his life long pal...Totally different styles...

The vendors that put soooooooooo much into the Viper Nation deserve some lattitude...Both Tator and JonB have spent alot of time on the phone with me, detailing really kewl and interesting information that I loved receiving...Both guys have gone above the call of duty to get me "small" parts...Thats awesome. I have bought a reasonable amount of stuff from Jon, but of course that is my prospective (filters tubes, Corsa, cats, tires, etc) but I sort of feel like I still owe him business becuase of ALL the great insight and information he has given me...That sounds weird, I hope JonB does not read this and put a note in my file
supergrin.gif

I hope your JonB experience trends toward what seems to be the norm!

Tomer

commoditybroker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not being a Viper owner, I posted a question about the blue/white '96 color combo on this board. Not only did JonB reply to my post and PM me, but he invited me to call him at my convenience. I called Jon, and he was very respectable. He took his time to explain the color scheme and the history behind it. I did not nor have I purchased anything from him yet, but being in a business of customer service myself, he has earned my purchases in the future!

Zach

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am gratified that so many wrote something, even the -valid- criticisms. It has helped me refocus a bit, and Im grateful. I am glad to generally be held in the same regard as Chuck, Sean, Dan and Doug. Good Guys all. I am humbled and appreciative by some of the posts....( Me, humbled !?! That'll last.....! )

I sent a private e-mail to Monnie, offering unconditional surrender: full refund or exchange, even tho both Michelin and TireRack say its 'silly'. He's not laughing. Me neither. The offer stands. Nov '00 tires are 100% fine, but Ill refund or trade Monnie only, please. I hope he accepts, and continues to be a customer. Thanks. Sorry I was gruff that 1 day in my warehouse......UPS and FedEx were both there.....yada-yada.

However, a partial-truth was told, and needs the other half:

YES, I did receive TWO pallets of 11/1998 tires in Oct 2001.

I proudly disclosed that in my ad for them. These were 17' MXX-3 Pilots, the very last ones ever built. I was proud to get them, and offer 'em cheap. One of the few 17" deals around. They sold out like hotcakes, with a full written warranty by Michelin. Stored in MI by Michelin. Proof, in my book, that MTRC stands behind this age question. But to just say "Jon got in a pallet of tires from '98" is a half-truth and innuendo in this 18" discussion and context. "Now You Know The Rest Of That Story"

Have good Super Bowl weekend unless you're FREEZING! GO BUCS!
I really DO appreciate your business. JonB

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate these type of threads. There ARE individuals who have screwed the community over and these need to be brought to light, but Jon is not one of them and posting little petty complaints intended to harm another persons integrity or business is out of line in my opinion.

I have met Jon and he seems like a standup guy and the most knowlegable and connected Viper person I have met. I have purchased most of my parts from him as well as some from Sean Roe and have nothing but good things to say about the info I have received, the price I have gotten and the service from either. As several have already noted, Jon is a straight forward kind of individual and that may come across a little less warm and fuzzy than some would like, but that is all it is.

For those of us that do not yet know everything there is to know about Vipers, it's great to know that there are people like Jon around to help keep us pointed in the right direction. Jon saved my bacon a few weeks ago when I had ordered a set of EBC Greens to install over Christmas and my wife called him a few days later to order a set to surprise me with for Christmas. Jon somehow managed to put 2 & 2 together and kept her from duplicating the order. Course if he was REALLY on the ball, he would have convinced her to get me something else for the Viper for Christmas like some Eradispeed rotors to go with those EBC Greens
smile.gif

PartsRack has a website and you can order on-line if you don't want to interface with him. My only complaint with Jon is that he needs to add more of the stuff he sales and detailed info about it to his website. (since I see he has just posted and is taking input....
smile.gif

I love browsing the on-line Viper catalogs!

--- Ken

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon B,

how dare you sell michelin tires that have a date of 11/98...you also sold them at a reasonable price? What are the origional XGTZ's gonna sell for when people are interested in doing a 100 point Gen 1 Viper restoration in say 10 years? glad i stock piled new sets of these. Oh also when restoring your Gen 1, remember the little green cap......

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Green cap??? oh no! am I missing something??? I don't see a green cap!!!

What am I going to do!?

JonB do you sell this green cap?

BIRD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this thread is why many of us frequent these boards. We have someone who has a comment good or bad, come forward and share their experience with other members. In this case it was negative. Thru discussion a subscriber is able to make up there own mind as to what's really going on. If the original post were left unchallenged it would have cost one of our suppliers future income. The fact that we have this forum allowed many people to voice their experiences with Jon. In the end Parts Rack will actually increase business ( based on how he handled the situation) and be a better supplier. This worked perfectly for all of us. If someone feels they have been wronged I don't want them to be afraid to share. This also works on the positive side. If you have an exceptional experience share that also.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is really kinda sad, I've never bought anything from Jon yet, but I'm about too, silver lettering for the side of the car, But he's one of the major reasons I bought a Viper after lurking here for a year or so in the late 90's. this guy is the Noland Adams of Vipers, for you non Corvette guys, Noland is THE recognized historian of the corvette hobby, Jon is OUR guy, except maybe not enough people KNOW that when dealing with him, nor do they recognize what he has given to our hobby in terms of FREE, ahem, that's FREE advice anytime someone asked a question here for the last Gawd knows how many years. If I call him up, or he calls me up, I'm the patient and he's the doctor, I'll do it HIS way, because I'm INFORMED enough about my Viper hobby that I recognize his expertise is WAY beyond mine and and I will lower my testoterone level in order to LEARN. I think anyone concerned about the gurus phone style ought to do two things, do a dipstick level check of your own ego to determine whether you really want to learn the facts or you never want to be wrong. Also please consider how YOU would feel if the situation were reversed and your business and your personal way of communication was subject to review on a board like this. especially after contributing for all these years.
Not that it matters, but it sounds like he's right also, I would buy 'em if I needed 'em.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Jon is excellent. He has always been friendly, willing to answer my stupid questions and very knowledgeable. I have done significant business with him on several occasions and am very happy I did. His customer service both during and after the sale has been fantastic!

pj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon isn't always the most "polite" guy on the board, but he has been here a long time and alot of people are happy with the service they get from him.

For whats it worth (and not that it applies here), the customer isn't always right and sometimes they need to know that.

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also had a bad jonB experience. When I complained on the board he gave me a free speedo recalibration unit (it did not work when we hooked it up but it was free). He is rude and thinks he is always right. I finally got a refund after his vender (I called them)(unitrax, great company to deal with) said sorry we sent the wrong part after a week and 1/2 of jon telling me it was my installer.Jon kept saying We sell thousands of these and you are my first complaint. I soon learned that is his canned answer
He is honest and knowlegable. He is in no way like HMS.But has poor skills if the product doesn't work right.Then he spins, flips the story of what happened finally giving refund or some other consideration when the light is on him.
Vipermed, Sean Roe and Chuck Tator are excellent!

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has come to this-dumping on one of "the good guys". I believe I am a charter member here and have had 2 snakes going back 8 yrs. I once posted fairly frequently, but like others got tired of the "in your face" crap that now permeates the board. Obviously, no one is immune. Jon B has done more for the Viper community than almost anyone I can think of--both before and after his purchase of PartsRack. He has saved many of us from doing all sorts of dumb things to our cars and in the process saved us lots of $$$.
Obviously, as a businessman, he has to look out for himself at times and none of us wear a smile on our faces 10 hrs a day at work.
I have ordered several times from Jon including as recently as last week. He could not have been more pleasant and I got all that I ordered in no time.
I might add that Jon does not seem to post much here anymore, probably for the same reason as I which is our loss. He knows more about our cars than virtually anyone outside of Detroit.
The things that once separated this board from the other car boards was civility and comraderie. The testosterone level is now way out of balence.
I encourage anyone with a Viper to seek Jon out for guidance-you will be glad you did.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey!..if DDog likes Jon than PartsRack has gotta be good for me...'cause DDog is a very non-confrontational kinda guy that lives life to its leanest
rolleyes.gif

Btw Jon, I just went out to my garage and noticed that my car is GONE
eek.gif
. I realized that you were the one that mentioned to me that Doug Levin was a really great tuner so I sent my car(and money) to him! Is your plan to give me a Viper loaner while it is gone? My car was an '01 so I would really like to drive same.
Let me know what you plan to do...

No Flame Intended...Just Observation(especially for DDog
smile.gif
)

CStegall

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Clark,
Thanks for the laugh! Do you know when you're getting your DLM GTS back or getting your SRT? Are you going to make the next club meeting on 2/8 with one or the other?

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DDog,

Car is still at DLM and work continues. Can't wait to get it back. The SRT is in that "DC's gonna build it when they feel like it" status. Just hope they get the seatbelts right
wink.gif
. We are more than likely looking at a Feb.-March delivery but I do hope to show up at the 2-8 meeting...will let you know.

No Flame Intended...Just Observation,
CStegall

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon B rocks. Period. He has been one of the most consistent and reliable vendors I have dealt with since getting my first Viper in 97. I have gone lots of places to buy parts and have dealt with almost all the known vendors. Jon B is top shelf. I continually do business with him and value it greatly.

And let us not forget, we are VIPER owners. That in itself should explain just how many anal, crazy, weird and diverse people a Viper vendor must have to deal with daily. We are all nuts.

BlueCrotalus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put my response in support of Jon's business. As a new Viper owner last year, information is really what I craved and that was what he supplied. I bought my high flow cat's and Corsa system through him and he made it easy.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BIRD:
I think this thread is why many of us frequent these boards. We have someone who has a comment good or bad, come forward and share their experience with other members. In this case it was negative. Thru discussion a subscriber is able to make up there own mind as to what's really going on. If the original post were left unchallenged it would have cost one of our suppliers future income. The fact that we have this forum allowed many people to voice their experiences with Jon. In the end Parts Rack will actually increase business ( based on how he handled the situation) and be a better supplier. This worked perfectly for all of us. If someone feels they have been wronged I don't want them to be afraid to share. This also works on the positive side. If you have an exceptional experience share that also.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactomundo... it's all about communicating!

After reading all the positive comments I feel CONFIDENT ordering from Jon. Everyone knows there are going to be negative interactions..... but through all the great comments in this thread we can all see that the positives DEFINITELY outweigh the negatives in this case.

Lance

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte