Bad experience with the viper today...

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can usually get the same effect by putting the HAZARDS on for a moment ! Much safer......same results.

PS its much WORSE in an ACR !

Turning on your lights in the day time works too. Fun to watch their front end dip down as they brake.

Always depends on the circumstances (location, traffic, type of driver), but slowing down gradually works the best. Driving a Viper in this nut haven puts me in touch with all types. When someone's inches off your bumper, put your pride aside, take your foot off the gas and just coast in neutral for a bit. As other cars go by you and the idiot in tow, the idiot gets bored and quickly looks for another shiny object to catch its attention.

I know much is posted in jest, but if someone's so unstable as to drive inches off your bumper, the last thing your REALLY want to do is engage in some lower primate "traffic dialog" that could EASILY lead to damage.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally agree, being a born and bread New Yorker myself...which, by the way, is why I never take my RT to New York!:nono:

There is little (if anything) to be gained, but much to be lost by taking on these jerks in a one-on-one...driving or shouting match. They are obviously looking for trouble, so why give them the opportunity!

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, a lot of responses...Well at least I'm not alone lol :) Probably shouldn't have yelled and knowing it is something that just happens in these cars I'll be more prepared next time. I mean I've had fast cars in the past and had experience with aggressive drivers, but this was different, it was like "Oh you think your a bad ass b/c you drive a viper, well I'll act like I'm going to put you in the wall days of thunder style" and was pretty un-nerving honestly. Not b/c I was scared or anything, simply I don't want to get my car damaged and "hope" his insurance works out...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Bad experience today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonB - PartsRack
PS its much WORSE in an ACR !

[
quote=ViperJon;2905020]I've had a Viper since 2004 of some sort so pretty used to the attention (don't even notice it really anymore) but I tell you in the ACR it is crazy. .............Even total non car people can't help but gawk and wonder what the hell is that? It's a rolling freak show.
I'm actually much more aware of people around me because I am leery of them veering into me taking a cell phone pic...and that's no joke.[/quote]

The ubiquitousness of cell-phone-cams and social media outlets has made snagging an ACR on the roll a much more frequent occurance. I am amazed at the claustrophobic conditions that GAWKERS created for me to-from VOI. It gets downright DANGEROUS.

JonB~~~:<~

Husker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Bad experience today...

I was at a stop light here recently and some wanna be civic pulls up with a couple of twenty something guys in it. They start to run up there engine like they want to race. So I roll down my window and make the following statement to the passenger:

"Did you hear someone fart?"

The passenger started laughing hysterically hard while the driver got really mad.

The light turned green and he killed the engine.

I know...Sometimes its better just to drive away without saying anything.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well just took the wife out tonight to go for a nice ride since it is 75* here in KY right now. I pull over to get gas and some 20 somethings come over and the driver says "man can I take a picture of your bad ass viper" I smiled and said sure so he did. His passenger buddy was all negative saying how new vipers are crap and blah blah and I just ignored him and kept pumping gas and then they got into a rusted out buick century and gunned it as much as they could out of the station. :smirk: Funny how the passenger that didn't even have a car was an expert on Vipers and how "bad" they are, gotta love the haters...:dunno:

bluequadcab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the others have said, yes, this happens occasionally! As with anything else that is nice (and unusual), there are those who are jealous and just can't stand someone else having something like a Viper. Honestly, in all the years I had a Vette, I never had that happen...but then, Vipers are different.

Rather than rant, which at times can make things worse, I ignore them. In your case, which I have experienced more or less a couple of times, I choose to move to a different lane (if possible) and drive normally.

That said, clearly there are times you just can't avoid it and hope for the best. :(
They are just trying to get a look at Zoe! :lmao:

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if a Smith and Wesson or Glock sticker in the rear window would deter any tailgaters? Hmmmm.... Not that I'd ever sticker my car, just wondering :p

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I was all pissed about a similar incident last week as I was driving home as I had someone tailgating right on my ass. When I did a double take - it was a mom trying to get close so her kid could take a picture with a camera phone. Still pissed me off - but once I realized what was happening - I just pulled over into the right hand lane and slowed down so they could get a good picture.

Certainly not worth slamming on the brakes or getting all mad for such an "innocent" dumb move.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use Extreme Caution with A Person who was NOTHING TO LOSE! when I was younger I would have been the first person to get out of the car & see what the problem is but as I have gotten a lil' older it makes you tend to look at things in a little different perspective. Probably very lucky I've been fortunate to get a lil' older.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if a Smith and Wesson or Glock sticker in the rear window would deter any tailgaters? Hmmmm.... Not that I'd ever sticker my car, just wondering :p

Probably a greater chance of your car being broken into to find that Glock or S&W me thinks...

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Though I have had a lot of gawkers and silliness go on around me, I have generally found to be a flirt like a guy would do with a good looking girl. Most just want to puff their chests to be noticed.

If someone tailgates for period of time, I think the best advice that I have read would be to get off the road and let them go by.

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well just took the wife out tonight to go for a nice ride since it is 75* here in KY right now. I pull over to get gas and some 20 somethings come over and the driver says "man can I take a picture of your bad ass viper" I smiled and said sure so he did. His passenger buddy was all negative saying how new vipers are crap and blah blah and I just ignored him and kept pumping gas and then they got into a rusted out buick century and gunned it as much as they could out of the station. :smirk: Funny how the passenger that didn't even have a car was an expert on Vipers and how "bad" they are, gotta love the haters...:dunno:

They are just jealous.

BTW where in KY? Louisville is still home to me, though displaced at the moment.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Seems like a smile and a wave gets me good reactions and folks move on. When folks try to race I often tell them I am a police officer and not a good idea for them to go fast around me , even though I am off duty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang