BAD FM Reception

Sarge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 weeks of ownership and I'm really enjoying my first Viper.

I'm having a problem with really bad FM reception. I bought my 05 SRT with an aftermarket Clarion NZ500 sound & navigation system. The head unit is an
inexpensive model although it sounds ok with CD, ipod, Pandora etc.

I took my center console and face dash off tonight to go the painter (going to color match exterior yellow) and figured I'd pull the radio to see if an antenna was plugged in and confirmed that it is.

Searched the forums and found a couple of references to an antenna amplifier but nothing more detailed. Also saw a number of threads relating to sound
system connection issues. The radio is installed using an aftermarket mount with what looks like an aftermarket adapter harness plug. Wondering if something
is not properly connected to to a bad installation.

Any suggestions as to where to look for an antenna amp connection or something related would be helpful.

TIA Rich

kblake905

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check to see if the antenna is connected to the windshield connection, you can see by removing the passenger side speaker cover on the dash. If the windsheild was replaced it is possible it was not connected........

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You actually try to listen to the radio? :drive:

Probably stock exhaust... I used to listen to the radio, then I put on the belangers. Now to hear anything I have to crank it to levels that are stupid so I pretty much gave up :p

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably stock exhaust... I used to listen to the radio, then I put on the belangers. Now to hear anything I have to crank it to levels that are stupid so I pretty much gave up :p
Yeah, I used to listen to the radio as well. Then I put the race exhaust with cat delete. Who cares about the radio when the motor sounds so killer.

OP
OP
S

Sarge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found the radio reception problem. Had a bad aftermarket antenna adapter. While I was in there I decided to replace a Clarion pop up NAV unit with a new
Pioneer HD iphone compatible radio. Easy to use and it sounds pretty good too!

Also had the dash and console painted to match the car.

Very pleased with the results.

Attachments

• Viper Dash.jpg
    Viper Dash.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
S

Sarge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exhaust is already done. Better reception still can't hear anything...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456