Bad lower backs and the GTS

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have got a couple of bulging discs in my lower back and I find that after riding a while in the GTS it gets worse. Seems that the seat does not support the lower back very well (even with the bladder inflated). Any other back sufferers out there and if so how have you solved this problem?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i got a bad back and do feel it more after driving mine too. but it WONT stop me....:)

the doctor said its from the constant vibrations from the road and stiff suspension.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have sciatica myself..found that moving the seat all the way back helps, also its bestto do alot of stretching propr to long drives or even get out every so often during long drives to stretch..the other thing you can get from a medical supply store is one of these little machines you clip onto your belt and it has little pads to put onto your back. it sends electrical impulses to the nerves..helps alot..

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
herneated disk at L5 S1 my solutions:

1.elevated the front of the seat with washers(raised about 3/8")
2.self inflating back cushion that adjusts to any thickness(1-800-4MY-BACK)$34.95
3.YOGA :D

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No kidding about back problems. I put myself out of action for the entire Thanksgiving day by simply driving my RT/10 to the gas station for the morning paper. I never felt a pop or a crick, but excruciating pain when trying to get out (in front of 20 or so onlookers!)

OP
OP
K

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess we are getting old. Don't know how mine started either just noticed a couple of years ago that when I stood around for a while my lower back ached. Soon I could hardly move. The Viper GTS seat curves your lower back putting a lot of strain on that part of your body. When I drive the Viper for a while and get out my back will ache for a day or so (but I pretty much have pain all the time) I keep doing it though!!!!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
L5 S1 here as well.

2 epidurals and it seems to be pretty good right the last 3 weeks now....(crossing fingers)

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My lower back is bad as well since 1985. I do stomach exercises 6 days a week. A strong stomach is helpful for back problems. Stretching when I get up is now also a part of life. I remember when we drove to Nashville in 02, my back went out the day before we left....probably the worst it's been since the initial accident. I could not move at all without stabbing pain. I had to have the soft top put on the car after I got in when we left here. The first gas stop..in pouring rain..had me rolling out of the car on my hands and knees and being helped to my feet. I had taken a couple different cushions and pillows to try. The thing that worked the best for the 2000 mile journey was a rolled up sock placed at the bottom of the seat back at the trigger point of my pain. The Viper lumbar bladder is too high for me.

Steve

OP
OP
K

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am getting the feeling I am not alone in this back thing. Did anyone do physical therapy at the doctors. I think that is my next try (already tried the chiropractor)
I can't just keep going on this way. I need to do something to make it better so I can drive the monster!

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am getting the feeling I am not alone in this back thing. Did anyone do physical therapy at the doctors. I think that is my next try (already tried the chiropractor)
I can't just keep going on this way. I need to do something to make it better so I can drive the monster!
Randy my wife is a Physical Therapist, the treatments have not helped much but the exercises prescribed have.BTW I have been dealing with periodic back spasims for the past 35years and they have not prevented me from enjoying the car hobby. YET!

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only time my back doesn't hurt is when I'm piloting my viper!!!!! LOL Best medicine in the world!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had 5 lower back surgeries and looks like I am working on the 6th. All I have done to my GTS is have a custom length clutch rod made and then adjust the seat and pedals so I do not have to hold my legs up while driving.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Multiple bulging discs C-spine with foraminal stenosis and nerve root impingement. Found out this past spring as I was unable to bench as much weight...kept cutting back but getting weaker and weaker on the left. Numbness and tingling down my arm after a while. By the time the neck pain started, I already had atrophy in my triceps.

Driving definitely aggravates it, and the seat back, neck craned forward position is really bad. Best thing I ever did was go to a good physical therapist, work on strengthening my upper back and neck in the gym. Have the Gen III seats, but haven't installed them yet. Hoping that helps!

Yeah, old is right. When you are talking about a physical therapist, you've got to pony up to the old man label. Of course, dating younger women helps...but then there are the LOWER back problems! :O)

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the chiropractor thing for a while when insurance picked it up. The Drs couldn't find anything substantial. Never got an MRI or CAT, crappy insurance wouldn't pay.
Maybe I'll try again, but with my history, they may say its preexisting (I've already heard that one!)

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Throw out the stock springs and install eibach's.They are softer but progress to stiffer.They absorb all the little shots better and the car rides better and smoother.Handles better,Two downsides:Must get an alignment and the car is about 1" lower making it harder for the bad backs to get in and out. GTS Bruce

LIRacer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but the only time my back doesn't hurt is when I am in the Viper or strapped into my race car. It must be psychsematic (sp?).

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me, it's worse when the bladder is pumped up. I always make sure all of the air is out of the seat.

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a Tempur-Pedic (foam) bed and it has made a HUGE difference.

Dittos on this bed. It does wonders for sleep, but nothing for the bad driving position. I have double herniations in L3-L4, L4-L5 and L5-S1 discs. Lumbar pads are useless to me because I have too much curvature in my lumbar.

As soon as I get back on my feet financially, I am getting a Cobra seat with split thigh cushions (to reduce the pressure on the sciatic nerves when shifting) done in Tempur-Pedic foam. Lowering the seat helped a bit so I could get a more upright driving position.

Stretching twice a day and sit-ups are essential to reduce further deterioration.

My doctor told me years ago to stop buying 2 seater sports cars... needless to say, I changed doctors. Getting old is for the birds.

Brad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960