Baer Brake System for Track Use

oncebitn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After doing some initial research I have found Baer, Brembo and Stoptech to be the 3 top systems for the Viper (atleast on paper).

Baer seems to have the lead on technology if more is better with a 6 piston in the front system. But is approx. $1000 US ($1500 to Canadian like me) more than Brembo and $2000 US more than stoptech. This is after you factor in the rotor upgrade from 13.5 to 14 and painting the calipers (and rotor hat since that is an option).

The question that I have is to see if anyone has installed the full big brake system with 14 inch rotors from Baer. I have been told (and advised on the board) to stay away from cross drilled rotors from them for track use so I am looking at slotted. Yes the combo looks hot but I am not after looks I want the best performance I can get at the track (and still use it on the street). I also want to make sure that there is enough clearance around the wheel (and still using 18 inch stock wheels) to vent the brakes since the rotor has internal venting. And finally Baer said that there is no emergency brake option yet. Does anyone have a work around as I don't feel comfortable driving my Viper on the street without an emergency brake for parking.

Also if anyone has done the full Stoptech system how did they do the rear emergency brake?

Brembo (I know I haven't mentioned them yet) has a great solution for $1000 US that will give you an emergency (parking) brake using their existing rear brake but Baer is my first choice.

All your help is much appreciated.

Nathan...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably the best thing about Stoptech is that they are at all the ViperDays events, so if you need parts as all trackers do, it's nice that they are nearby.

How often do you track and how good are you that you would notice a significant difference between one brand and another? Not a slam, just a question. I don’t think I’m there yet.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bigger isn't necessarily better - better balanced is what you are looking for. Humungous honking front calipers on the front and not enough on the rear will replicate the stock condition.

Do you want something that is streetable or is this track only? If it's track only, look into the Porsche Big Brake kit.

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baer's Alcon calipers are great and comparable to the Brembos and Stoptechs. The six piston that Baer sells will be more expensive because it's a bigger system though I doubt that it would get you a whole lot, if any improvement over the 4 pistons without finding a way to get some rear brake bias. Baer has the six piston they used for Bobby Archer's World Challenge Car and the new monoblock. If you get the Baer and will track the car, make sure you get the Alcon rotors and not the Eradispeeds. The Alcons will last 3 or more times longer even with race pads but are very expensive. They have DBA (from Australia) rotors too but I have not tried them.If you track the car, do not waste money on anodizing the hats in front as the heat will fade the color. One thing I like about the Alcons is that I am able to get different race pad compounds from a lot of manufacturers. The Stoptech value and performance is undeniable though I have no experience using them. Their aerorotors are designed very well and I wish they had one that would fit my calipers so I could compare longevity with the Alcons. I think you cannot go wrong with any of the 3 brands you mentioned.

Reaction score
I have the 14" four corner StopTech system and it works great. Archer did the installation and leaving the parking brake was an option that I wanted.

Call StopTech if you want more details.

OP
OP
O

oncebitn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. After posting this message, reading your replies and checking other posts. It makes me think again about replacing the whole system. It sounds like allot of people are happy with just the rotor and pad replacement. If you are still lacking the stopping power then look into replacing the caps.

I have only had my Viper for 1 year and have done 4-5 track events. I plan on doing allot more this year so that is why the new brakes.

Thanks again.

Nathan...

Wojo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nathan, where are you tracking your car? I am also looking at upgrading my brakes. The consensus is StopTech from what I seen and who I have spoken to.

Chris,

Burlington, ON

'98 GTS Silver

OP
OP
O

oncebitn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

Well I was hoping to get out to Guelph to go talk to Mike about StopTech and getting some goodies I got for Christmas installed. But the weather wasn't good enough yet. Hopefully with a little rain this week I can get out there.

Sorry back to the track days. I usually do track days with the Oshawa car club through Ian Law's courses http://www.carcontrolschool.com/flash/schedule/index.html. I also went to VOI 7. The viper club has been great at keeping me informed of other track days but I won't go unless it is well organized as I don't want to be having some on course tangle with a guy in a Civic. They (Oshawa) run great track events at Mosport and Shannonville (it rained last year). We didn't do the big track at Mosport but it really helped me get my bearings with the car doing the short track before I build speed and get stupid in the corners. Most important thing I learned about the car last year was to double check (and triple check) the tire pressures. About my driving I learned to be as smooth as possible (even has helped kicking my brother's a** in karting). Plus this is the first rear wheel drive sports car I have owned, and first car over 200 horsepower. Just guess how many times I have spun out on the track?

I am not sure if you are part of the Viper Club of Ontario but I would highly recommend it. http://ontario.viperclub.org/

BTW, I do remember seeing your car at the Sunoco when I was driving by. It would be interesting to see the difference in sound since I haven't done headers yet and have the Corsa exhaust.

See ya on the roads in the next few weeks,

Nathan...

Wojo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am a member of the VCA of Ontario, new as of November.

I have already spoken to Mike with regards to the StopTech brakes. He has good prices on those.

See you on the roads. :D

Chris