Battery Light came on??

webtrader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello fellow VIPER enthusiasts,

I was traveling yesterday in my beloved VIPER for about 2 hours straight at approx 90-100 mph with outside temp approx. 90-100 degrees. My temp guage was fine at about 200 degrees and I was running the a/c.

I noticed the Battery Light came on the dash, I looked over at the charge guage thinking that the alternator failed but it showed 12+ v charge so I assumed that it was charging ok, I was able to drive it home no problem the light went off 1 time then came back on during the ride home?

I wondered if anyone has any thoughts on what might have gone on? I thought that maybe the alternator was just too hot from the constant high speed run or maybe the regulator was sticking?

I drove it today with no problem, no light on although I did not sustain the high speeds like before.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks and VIPER ON !!

~Jim

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even with your gauge reading +12 V, you could still have a bad alternator.

Other possibility is your battery is going bad.

Have the charging system checked out.

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Battery light is indicative of a bad charging system. Fault could be in loose wiring, bad alternator or anything else related to the charging system. I do not think that running on hot day at high speeds would be the reason that the charging system failed.

Check for loose connections on the alternator, battery terminals, fuses...

If alternator has failed the battery voltage will take approximately a day to drop depending on what is drawing the juice from the battery, like stereo.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trust your gauge. I suspect the battery is getting low. After all, it is a battery light. Similar thing happened to me. The light will be intermittant. One day it will be off, you'll think all is well, and your Viper won't turn over. Nothing. Caput. Your Viper is 3 years old? Change the battery.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has a brand new battery & is doing the same thing. Comes on once a month & goes off. Intermittent worrisome bugger.

Strong cranker.

I can't figure it.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MIL code 4:6 High Voltage in the charging system. This means the generator lamp will be on as well (battery light)according to service manual clip I have. Pulled the alternator & put on test at Auto Zone. It's throwing almost 16V, strong. Where is the voltage regulator on this thing? Also, can't manage to separate the pig tail from the wiring harness.....anyone know a secret?