battery location

Twans97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pretty elementary but my battery is dead (winter chicago) and i need to pull it and put it on a charger but cant find it. i have a 1997 gts sold to me with no owners manual. Can anyone help? anything else i sure worry about or just charge and re install?

thx

grape

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack up rear left of car, remove rear wheel, its behind plastic wheel arch :2tu:

You dont have to remove the Battery to charge it, you can lift hood and on the left hand side you can lift off the red positive cover and attach battery tender positive lead to that point and the negitave lead to the chassi. Probally worth pulling the battery though, just so you can check its condition. Also look in the How-Tos section.

:uk:

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Twans97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I was told to pull battery to charge it. you think its ok to put the battery charge on there? i saw some old threads about jumping or charging could affect something else? Maybe i am being to paranoid about a battery change.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issues would be crappy current to the PCM and other computerized devises from what most of us own is a crappy battery charger. The safest way is of course to disconnect the battery, but I doubt you'd be the first to not do that.

If it was my car I'd remove the battery, but then again I know where it is. ;)

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The alarm draws power, So the batterys need a trickle charge to keep em in good condition. Depending on what type of charger you are going to use, you need a self regulating one, The Battery tender works fine :) It will stop the battery over charging ;)

:uk:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are looking for a new owners manual to add to the car, look no further than Ebay or Bishko Auto Books.

viper owners manual, eBay Motors, Collectibles items on eBay.com

OR

Bishko Books, Repair Manuals, Owners Manuals, Parts Books & Sales Brochures

As for the trickle charge, if you connect the charger leads to the battery, you can run the cable down the frame rail and out the back of the car. That way when you need to charge it, just pull out the cable that is tucked up into the body! When you are done with it, tuck it back up into the frame rail/body section!!

Robert

OP
OP
T

Twans97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and emails. This site and everyone involved is hugely helpful every time. Have a good XMAS!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456