Battery problems

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Over the last few months I noticed a very slight lag when I went to start her up, I thought mayby because it was cold. I went on vacation and came back to start her up and battery was completely dead. So I bought battery charger and tried hooking it up to teminal under hood, charger would not engage. I attemted to hook charger directly to battery, again nothing. I tried hooking up jumper cables and nothing not even interior lights. I am assuming that battery has a bad cell. It is not even a year old yet. Is this common and will it be covered under warranty? I remember the day I picked it up, I was at a friends house and had trouble starting it, but it never did it again so I didn't bring her in. Any thoughts on this. I am going to call viper tech in am but as I am sure you can relate, I will think about this until then. Thanks:dunno:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't answer for the warranty question, but it sounds like the battery is bad for sure. Or maybe a defective connection at it. But you likely would have seen that if you tried charging directly at the battery.

Most batteries do last longer than that, but maybe you got a lemon.

OP
OP
V

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I guess i will pull batt. in morning and bring it to dodge and have them test it and get another one.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess they don't make 'em like they used to. I took the battery out of my '01 after almost 6 years just because it seemed like a smart thing to do. And it was working just fine at that time.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the problem where my battery would go dead after about three days of letting the car sit. Did a lot of searching on this forum and seemed to be a common problem. Most people said to get a deep cell battery or use a tender. A very few said there was something wrong. Finaly I got the shop to look at it and sure enough they found a wire connection problem. Got it fixed and haven't had a problem again.

You may certainly have a bad battery, but if you replace the battery and continue haveing the problem you might want to think about other things.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have the battery replaced under warranty. This was a common problem with the OE batteries. Had mine replaced twice before going to an aftermarket brand. Haven't had a problem since.

OP
OP
V

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got a new battery from Dodge today under warranty. The fun came when I went to put it back in and to my surprise no power. So I am thinking great, my car is locked and the side door manual lock won't turn and its in gear and the brake is up, I'm thinking how in the hell am I going to get this thing out of the garrage if we have to tow it. Well after being told that I had to get that doo mechanism to turn, I finally used enough force to turn it and the car power came on. So glad, that was one problem I did not want to have to tackle-pulling her out of the garrage with chains. So thank fo all the input guys. I was happy to have a happy ending but wondering why so many of the new ones are coming out with bad cells in the battery from the factory.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
over The Last Few Months I Noticed A Very Slight Lag When I Went To Start Her Up, I Thought Mayby Because It Was Cold. I Went On Vacation And Came Back To Start Her Up And Battery Was Completely Dead. So I Bought Battery Charger And Tried Hooking It Up To Teminal Under Hood, Charger Would Not Engage. I Attemted To Hook Charger Directly To Battery, Again Nothing. I Tried Hooking Up Jumper Cables And Nothing Not Even Interior Lights. I Am Assuming That Battery Has A Bad Cell. It Is Not Even A Year Old Yet. Is This Common And Will It Be Covered Under Warranty? I Remember The Day I Picked It Up, I Was At A Friends House And Had Trouble Starting It, But It Never Did It Again So I Didn't Bring Her In. Any Thoughts On This. I Am Going To Call Viper Tech In Am But As I Am Sure You Can Relate, I Will Think About This Until Then. Thanks:dunno:

Note: Dont Pull Battery !! Stop!

1) A fully-automatic "Battery Tender" will usually NOT work on a totally-dead, drained battery. Why? The automatic monitoring system needs some VOLTAGE to measure, to begin to charge. If it reads NO VOLTS you might as well hook it to a ROCK..it wont charge.

2) MANUAL BATTERY CHARGERS have a role here.... I have 5 TENDERS and one MANUAL. A manual charger IS capable of charging a dead battery...but DONT leave em unattended too long. They can boil your batty. Or melt your rock.

3) You MIGHT have a body-control module issue! And if you pull the batty BEFORE charging it you may have alarm and BCM code issues. So TRY to do a manual charge FIRST.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960