Battery Tender question - Permanent connection?

Shad0w

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a quick question, for those using a battery tender...
Anyone using the permanent connectors?

If so, are you just putting positive on the jump terminal and the negative somewhere on the body?
Where are you making your connections? Are you securing the wires at all with any sort of tie wraps?

ThnX!

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't leave mine on but when hooked up its from that positive under the hood so I don't c why u couldn't hook it up there permanently

Drew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a Deltran 021-0123 battery tender junior, comes with two quick connect ends. Permanent and clip on.
The quick connect permanent end installed directly to the battery, I just couple it to the charger through the driver side air difuser(not sure if that's the correct wording) when the car is stored. Works well and it's in storage from oct to apr unless it can be trailered down south.

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reading your thread jogged my memory on this thread...which also offers a solution as well OP.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...onnector-for-Battery-Tender?highlight=Battery

Yes, this offers a direct permanent connection to the battery. These are now complete and in the hands of a few local members for testing as well as on my car. This panel requires no modification to the car whatsoever. More information here:

http://dougshelbyengineering.com/Viper.html

JPUConn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had mine hooked directly to the battery and then was able to reach through the rear bumper opening to plug in the quick connect cable. Only had to remove the tray in the trunk for initial install

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For now, I'm just using the alligator clips under the hood...positive clip to the jump post, negative to the water pump where the bleeder screw is. I just run the cable out through the front bumper/grille area so I can close the hood, and that's about it. I'm worried that if I hook it up out back, I'll forget to unplug it and drag the Battery Tender down the driveway with me.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one I got is designed for permanent installation in the car, but I just put alligator clips on it instead, and clip it to the motor and the jump post under the hood.

SuperBird4404BBL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have my Battery Tender contected directly to the battery. I have the lead coming out of the bottom of the battery box on the drivers side. It's a simple plug in to the Battery Tender.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had mine hooked directly to the battery and then was able to reach through the rear bumper opening to plug in the quick connect cable. Only had to remove the tray in the trunk for initial install

This is what I have done.

NO HEMI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Battery tender Jr, and i have the permanent plugs connected to the battery terminals and i connect it through the rear bumper, when my friends see the cable going from the bumper to the wall i tell them it' s an electric viper!! :D

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Really tough to beat the ease and convenience of a cigarette adapter, IMO...

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hooked the pigtail directly to the battery and it runs outside the metal cover. It lives in the trunk.
This is the easiest way and much better than the clips. You can't see it once you unplug it the wire is hanging back by the battery and you just reach in and grab it.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys that leave it permenantly attached to the car, don't you realize how much unnecessary weight you're carrying? It may even upset the balance of the car and cause an accident. :nono:

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys that leave it permenantly attached to the car, don't you realize how much unnecessary weight you're carrying? It may even upset the balance of the car and cause an accident. :nono:

Good point, Allan. That’s exactly why my solution was engineered to be slightly lighter than OEM!!

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good point Allan. Every 'pion' and 'muon' adds weight and should be accounted for:)

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the contrary, the added weight of a Valentine One is OK, because it is mounted fairly central in the car, so it doesn't upset the balance of the car, and the benefits of having it offset any issues of leaving it in the car. ;)

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have mine hardwired under the hood and grounded to the hood mount, it pops up near the wiper for a quick disconnect.

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You mean I should stop hauling my rock collection, and my workout weights!!!

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you hook up the tender directly to the batter, you will actually improve the weight balance and improve rear tire hook up:nono:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really tough to beat the ease and convenience of a cigarette adapter, IMO...
Exactly right. I just plug the adapter right into the outlet in the center storage box. Let one of the windows down just enough for the cord to exit or all the way down if you wish. The best thing is you do not have to open the hood each time and no misc. adapters to connect or hanging around.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SuperBird4404BBL:3157093 said:
I have my Battery Tender contected directly to the battery. I have the lead coming out of the bottom of the battery box on the drivers side. It's a simple plug in to the Battery Tender.
Exact same set-up as I do

Crotalus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You don't say which tender you are using. I have found the Schumacher Speed/charge maintainer SEM-1562A, 1.5 amp. is a great unit. It weighs 1.5 lb. and fits in the right or left pocket in your trunk floor. Connect the leads directly to your battery and notch your cover and use a gromet on the cable coming out. The tender can be secured by wide, sticky-backed velcro to hold in place. Unplug exposed connector from battery when not in use. Wires can be put under trunk mat to conceal. Unit is available at most parts stores. My 04 Viper spent most of its life in Anchorage, Alaska. So this tender has been semi-permanently mounted as such for ages.

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't like to have to open and close my battery compartment much, I have two spare tires on top of it in the rear hatch, just in case. One for the front and one for the rear. Cover all my bases that way. :lmao:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950