battery

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the factory battery. They will last for three years. I would rather have a brand new battery every few years. A factory battery is only 69 bucks.

Optima is a fantastic battery but I hate the battery terminals on the top. They are really close to shorting out on the frame.

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do the optima's hold their charge better than the factory battery? because thats all im really interested in. Also jerry, you say the factory ones last for about three years, how long do the optimas last? thanks

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am still using the original factory battery on our car. Purchase date of the car was 3/31/00. We have put 44,400 miles on it so far with no battery problems. I have inspected the tray twice and have had zero corrosion issues. I keep a battery tender on it for the winter months. I will probably buy another factory battery when it's needed.

Steve

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The key is the winter battery tender.
I bought the Optima 7535 but get the one with the higher amps, they make a few.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought two $20 1.5 amp battery tenders from Walmart 4 yrs. ago. I'm not sure if that's considered a 'high amp' unit or not. The Viper tender runs year round as I have a winter car which I store in the summer. The other unit is mounted in another summer vehicle and runs 6 months a year. I have had no problems with either tender. Theoretically there are 2.2 volts per cell for a total of 13.2 in a completely charged battery. I just checked my battery and the tender has it at 12.87. For all practical purposes 12.87 is a fully charged battery given the slight draw from things like the clock or other PCM stuff constantly energized.

Steve

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Optima red top is the only way to go.Could be a tight fit but check out the how to sections about how to make the fit.The other batteries puke acid out onto the battery box and frame normally and when driving hard.For a few dollars more get the one that doesn't puke acid on your car.I let my Viper tech have the brand new Mopar battery. GTS Bruce

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine