Bear Tracker vs. Radar Detector or Both

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a Bear Tracker for years...never use it. As a scanner, the sound quality isn't very good, and it is hard to discern what is being said. It works by picking up "repeater" signals, that many police vehicles emit when the mic is clicked on. (It involves switching between frequencies) If a police officer is not talking on his radio...there is nothing to detect.
Remember that this is not a radar detector.

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an outlaw motorcycle rider friend whom swears by using both the Beartracker and the V1 conjunctively ((one earphone in each ear)) when he's tearing up the highways with his buddies.. He says you have to first learn to discern noise and unuseful talk and learn to pick up on cop talk.. But he has also had the police called on him by an angry motorist with a cell, fortunately for him he overheard the call from dispatch to the nearest officer and dove into a park for a break.. I personally have found that it's all not worth while, one good bust and you're all done.. I stick to the track..

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I realize it's not a radar detector, but I thought it would be more useful to know if there are any cops around at all. I mean, if there is signal when their radio frequency is being used (there is always traffic on the police radios) you know there is a cop in the area and perchance he might be using radar.

I realize you might want to take it to the track, but cmon.. you never speed? I can't tell you how many tickets I have from going 43 in a 35... Bogus...

Gerald

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just recently read an article (forgot where!) and read about a product called the "Bear Tracker".

The way it works.
Every police car has a radio. If you've ever been in a police car, there is constant talking on the radio with other cars or other cars contacting dispatch, etc, etc. The Bear Tracker picks up on the frequencies that each state uses for State Police or S.O.'s. Then show's and LED like a radar detector showing you how far away he is. This also works for Airbound, Speedtraps and INSTANT ON. I've heard great things about this. You can also use your radar detector in conjunction with this. Price is around $200.00
Has anyone used one of these? Thinking about ordering one.
Gerald

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look out Dion-
I have seen those glaring eyes before-
Kool it- relax.... take some deep breaths....
Dion- I promise- the rain will stop, the sun will shine-
take her easy until then....
(ya got to handle these PNW folks with kid gloves)

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who me speed?? You got me Gerald, I have a SICK fetish for speed/adrenaline it takes maximum control to keep from just blasting down the open highways/country roads with everything she's got--squeezing the Nitrous then slammin' her down and sliding around the corners--wearing a 5pt, strappin' me to my racing seat, running windows down, exhaust blastin', Hoosiers screamin' you know what I mean;-) I was just speaking in terms of odds.. Due to the above I have to watch my MENTAL even at the track..