BeaveRun Viper Play Day- 6.25.10

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I first want to say thanks to Randall, John & Rob, and Kathy & Jim Stout. These are awesome folks (and Viper owners...heh heh) that turn your average event into something really great.

Hooked up with DaytonProwler and SapphireBob after the VCA/track meeting at 8PM, and we tried to find some grub at 11PM. Not easy in Cranberry, PA. LOL
BTW- when did roundabouts become trendy? 2nd most dangerous intersections in the world, and people are putting them everywhere. I weep for the future.

I digress....

Up at 0-dark:30 and after a quick breakfast at the hotel, we jaunt up to the track. I had a chance to pass Jim Stout in his Tahoe while we were on I-79. I should have done it. I would have been the only guy who passed him all day. :D :D :D

The drivers meeting was next with the tech inspection and then a ride-around with all the cars. All went smoothly.
I got a pic of an ACR following me. I figured it was pretty much the only time I'd have one BEHIND me, so I better get a shot. :)
You must be registered for see images

I ran in the first group, as no one was really sure where the truck would fit in.
I was content there, but probably could have moved to Group 2.
Group 3 guys were pretty ********:

That Mini Cooper had the Driver's Mod, so he hung in pretty well with everyone.

Group 4 was the Comp Coupes and the other full-race Vipers:

I passed a couple of Vipers (who shall remain nameless...heh heh), but only had one pass me. All day.
Not too shabby for a 2.5 ton full-size pickup, eh?

On the back straight I was hitting about 100-105mph; on the front straight, I was reaching about 110-115mph.

Jim Stout took a few laps with me and helped me work a better line according to the truck's handling...shall we say..."unique characteristics". LOL The 'feel' smoothed out a bit and I may have gotten a bit quicker, esp through turns 3 - 6, and 10 - 11. He was great to ride with. THANKS JIM!!!

Speaking of which, Jim and Kathy's crew was exceptional. I'd been looking for a part number for a piece that only comes with the CC rides. Kathy said that their tech guy Evan or Jim's son would know the part number off the top of their heads. LOL I asked Evan during lunch and ******....2 minutes later he had a Mopar part number written down for me. Really nice guys and they busted buns all day keeping the purple pavement eaters running smoothly!

I met the Bender family the night before at the hotel. They were rolling an SRT8 Magnum (in the fastest color, of course) and their 19-yr. old son brought dad's C6 with new meats for his first run on an actual track.
The kid did VERY well.
He moved from Group 1 to Group 2 after the first session and hung in there with the big boys. I think he went to Group 3 for one session, but that was fairly humbling. :)

We only had a couple of "lawn jockeys", and that was by the infamous turns 7 and 8.
After a few sessions, my brake pads decided to take the rest of the day off, so I did as well. Kind of a bummer, but it was expected that they would be the parts that give out first. :)

Results?
Jim Stout was lapping at about 1:01-1:03.
I was lapping pretty consistently at 1:10.
If I'm within 10 seconds of Jim, I'm having a damn good day. :D

Thanks again everyone!!!!
I had an absolute blast at a very well-run event.
Let's do it again next weekend! :D

(ADMIN & MODS: My apologies for not posting this in the Events & Gatherings section. I'm not allowed to post there (yet)).

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write up Kevan. I'll have to post mi pics later. The '08 needs a was today like you would not believe. Glad you had a great time. :)

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a fantastic day out at BeaveRun! We had a great turnout. A nice collection of cars as well.

6:30 A.M. AND THE CARS ARE JUST ABOUT READY TO MAKE THE TRIP TO THE TRACK.
CIMG1337.JPG

VCA OHIO MEMBER TERRY AHEAD OF ME IN HIS '03 VERT ON THE WAY TO THE TRACK
CIMG1339.JPG

ENOUGH SAID
CIMG1344.JPG

LOTS OF SNAKES WAITING FOR INSPECTION
CIMG1345.JPG

KEVANS RAM AWAITS INSPECTION
CIMG1346.JPG

MIDWEST ZONE DIRECTOR JOHN WOJNAR ADDRESSING THE CROWD
CIMG1348.JPG

STAGED UP AND READY TO GO
CIMG1352.JPG

ON THE TRACK!!!!
RB8_0483.JPG

RB8_0499.JPG

RB8_0770.JPG

COOL DOWN TIME
CIMG1354.JPG

CIMG1361.JPG

THIS IS SUCH AN AWESOME LOOKING COLOR COMBO IN PERSON
CIMG1356.JPG

GTS COOLING DOWN
CIMG1363.JPG

LUNCH TIME. BURGERS, HOTDOGS, AND SAUSAGE SANDWICHES OH MY!
CIMG1365.JPG

JIN AND KATHY STOUTS COMP COUPES ON THE GRID WAITING TO GO OUT. SUCH AN AWESOME CAR.
CIMG1359.JPG

BEAVERUN WATERTOWER
CIMG1369.JPG

THE DAY WAS LONG AND FUN. WE HAD A GREAT GROUP OF CARS AND ABOVE ALL, NO ONE WRECKED. THIS LAST PHOTO JUST KINDA DESCRIBES THE END OF THE DAY. :)
CIMG1373.JPG

OP
OP
K

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those that are looking for the pro photos from that day, here ya go:

The SB Image

A few of SapphireBob's SSG pics from above are courtesy of The SB Image.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice Kevan! Lovin' the pics of that Comp Coupe~~awesome. Thanks for sharing!
(Knew your truck would not do do shabby at'tall, dear boy!~! You done did good, you always do :) )
~juli

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't realize I was the only Viper to pass Kevan ... in a Gen 1 none the less.

It was an awesome day out at the track .... no pressure, just lots of fun. Being my first time out to a track I would say I was a little nervous to start. Running in the Green group, on the first outing my GPS recorded a top speed of 90Mph which I thought was not to shabby. Waiting for my next session, Kathy says grab your helmet and jump in. She takes me out in Comp Coupe #2 and holy s**t it's fast. After paying close attention to her driving and lines, I head out for the second session. I quickly go from being in the back of the pack to lapping the field with the GPS recording a top speed of 120. Not a bad improvement I guess.

I did realize that while I can follow the same lines as Kathy, there are significant differences in power and braking between my car and hers, consequently I had to ditch it in the grass at the bottom of turn 1 when the brakes locked up...guess ABS would help as would the all around larger braking system. Anyways, I couldn't end up breaking the 120mph mark no matter what I tried the rest of the day.

Later my wife asked me what the best part of the day was .... I don't really think there is an answer for that. The people were phenomenal, the track was very fun, the weather was great, etc ... so in no particular order are my highlights

Skidding out of turn 1 into the grass
Hitting the 120mph mark
Riding in the comp coupe with Kathy
Riding in Jim's street viper
Meeting all the people and making new friends

Truly an awesome day

Also of note, having taken a ride with Jim in his Gen 3, the ride difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 3 is amazing. I would say the Gen 1 rides much more like the comp coupe with the bone jarring suspension (minus the power and braking of course), while Jim's viper was a much smoother and more comfortable ride ... ahh, the charm of the gen 1

This was the most amazing Viper event I've been to yet

Thanks to all who helped put it together

Victor

Attachments

• RB8_0797.jpg
    RB8_0797.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 9
  • DDS_1108.jpg
    DDS_1108.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 5
  • RB8_0731.jpg
    RB8_0731.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
K

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah Victor- fly that flag high. Not many get to pass me. :D
I didn't know you ended up doing a worm-burner in Turn 1.

That's great that your ride with Kathy improved your runs and overall track experience. She and Jim are great drivers and instructors.

Great pics too!

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great pics! The event was a blast. Big thanks to the Ohio VCA for another great BeaveRun event. Looking forward to next year.

viper67wife

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My highlights of the day (even if I did bail early)?

Talking Victor into going out early with Kathy
Spending the day away from the track planning a VCA event in the region.. leave Aug 21 and 22nd open.....

Lowlight of the day? not making it back in time to catch a lap with either Jim or Kathy...

Diane

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21