Belanger header questions

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok hopefully you guys can answer a few of these questions

#1. I purchased them used and am in need of header bolts. are they universal bolts? I have some new header bolts from my camaro's headers and wandering if those would work.

#2. I also need the bigger bolts that are used to hook the rest of it to the exhaust. How big and where do i get those?

Now with my setup

- 3" belanger cat back with hi flow cats
- smooth tubes and k&N filters
- 3.55 gears

#3 how much RWHP can i expect to gain with the headers? and overall RWHP of the car with this setup?

#4 What kinda 1/4 mile times you think?

#5 Loud? Its somewhat loud with the belanger cat back on there now, but once added the headers.. is it going to be alot louder? a good or bad loud?

THANKS!

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only know the answer to # 3 somewhat.

On a gen 2 out of all my mods the headers were the worst bang for the buck out of them all if I was 20 RWHO it was alot and they were jet hot coated.

I good thing about them tho is above 3500 Rpm the car sounds like a dragster.

im sure someone with more expert knowledge on belangers will chime in

jgfurr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't have 3.55 gears but I'm otherwise identical to you. I thought the exhaust was a little loud when I first put everything on, but now I wouldn't change it for anything. My wife even likes the sound. As for RWHP, see my sig. Those #s were with a few exhaust leaks but should be in the ballpark for what you'll have. I absolutely **** at drag racing, so my times have a lot of room for improvement. My best was a 12.3@115 with a 2.1 60-foot and crappy tires.

diabolos88

Enthusiast
Reaction score
headers are the worst mod. someone I talked to said added power is at about 10-15hp without heads to about 35-50hp with heads.
is that right? The size matters alot too. In most cases the B&Bs are best for overall HP (high end use, e.g. dragging) but the Belangers are best for low-mid range and are very Torquey ( which is what guys on the street need)

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I realize they dont give the most HP ever, but sound is a important factor to. I have a Z28 that is the most amazing sounding car ever, and my viper sounds like garbage compared to it. Most of my investment in headers is for the sound, the extra hp is a added bonus

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
headers are the worst mod. someone I talked to said added power is at about 10-15hp without heads to about 35-50hp with heads.
is that right? The size matters alot too. In most cases the B&Bs are best for overall HP (high end use, e.g. dragging) but the Belangers are best for low-mid range and are very Torquey ( which is what guys on the street need)

Headers are a GREAT mod! Headers with Full exhaust will gain about 50hp with the right car. And the sound the headers give is reason enough to get them on the UPS sounding stock Viper.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
You will typically see more bang for your buck header wise on the Gen I, the stock exhaust manifold on Gen II is much closer to header design than the Gen I. That being said I had a best time of 12.3 on my 95 Gen I bone stock when I bought the car several years back. Would like to see where my recent mods takes the car including Belangers, Highflow ROE Exhaust and Cats and New Roller Rockers. THe car pulls a lot harder than ever..........Good Luck !!!

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will typically see more bang for your buck header wise on the Gen I

I diden't know that, good info there Thanks (even tho I have Gen 2 I like to soak up ALL viper knowledge)

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen I's love exhaust mods and respond accordingly. I never did headers on my 94RT, but did them on my 97 GTS and love the sound!!!

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score

#3 how much RWHP can i expect to gain with the headers? and overall RWHP of the car with this setup?

My understanding is that the Gen1 engines make the most increased RWHP gains. If you think about it, it actually makes sense. The Gen2 from 1998+ came equiped with tubular headers from the factory, so adding headers isn't going to buy you a lot in the sense of HP gains, although with proper tuning you can pick up more low end or high end depending on your application.

The Gen1 engines have this large, restrictive, cast iron exhaust manifold, so a header upgrade majorly opens up the exhaust side of the engine.

My nickles worth :)

Cal

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score

#1. I purchased them used and am in need of header bolts. are they universal bolts? I have some new header bolts from my camaro's headers and wandering if those would work.

Reply:
I installed a set on my 2001 GTs recently and will quote bolt sizes from the instruction sheet. Bottom bolts are 7/16" x 1 1/4", lock washers and flat washers are also used. Oxygen safe hi temp silicone is recommended for the lower flanges.The head bolts are standard stuff, grade 8 would be best, anti-seize is recommended for the head bolts.

I don't know about Camaro bolts... you probably won't have enough. (10Cyl)LOL

Oh and I did not notice any difference in performance but the sound is awesome.

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They made a huge difference on my 97 GTS. I went had already had a Corsa and high flows. The car really woke up with the Belengers. VERY worthwhile mod. I should have done it sooner.

RD

diabolos88

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok,maybe i should clarify my statement, headers DONT make a dime of difference on Gen2's. These cars all came with factory headers.

Casey, "with the right car and exhaust, headers can make up to 50hp" You are only rewording what I previously posted.

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to hear it makes power on the first gens. Sound is what im really looking for.. does anyone have any sound clips maybe? Or short videos?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see where a lot of people say on Gen 1's you see big improvement and not jack squat on Gen 2's. My question is I have a 96' RT/10, (Gen 1.5) so will belanger headers be worth it for me? I am going to do a muffler delete to try to help the car sound meaner this weekend. So is going for headers in the near future a good idea? I am looking for a meaner sounding Viper and wouldnt mind gaining a few horsepower either :) . Just dont wanna go broke trying.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Balanger sells a kit with gaskets and all bolts give them a call.

do they have a website? or a phone number? i cant find anything on them.

Belanger: Phone 877-423-7878 / 623-582-5900

It has been posted here that MOPAR gaskets are better than Belangers. Try using this sites Search feature for further details.

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Diablo,

My car is a Gen 2 GTS and made a HUGE difference. So all I no idea why you are saying they do not make a diifernce. Most dynbo sheets on Gen 2 header replacemnts are 20-30HP. When I get mine dyno'd I will post, unfort, I never did a pre-dyno run. The GEN 2 tubular shorties did not come out until 99. Early gen 2's 96 - 99 had std manifolds.

diabolos88

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yo Radta7, first of all, I will bet you $1000 that your dyno will comeback with a major shortcoming. I bet it will show 20hp or less. For $1850 or whatever you paid for your headers its just not worth it. I see you are in Roselle, I'm downtown near Greektown. Lets meet at Streets of Woodfield, you bring your dynosheet and we'll see for sure how much power increase you got.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok,maybe i should clarify my statement, headers DONT make a dime of difference on Gen2's. These cars all came with factory headers.

Casey, "with the right car and exhaust, headers can make up to 50hp" You are only rewording what I previously posted.

Yo Radta7, first of all, I will bet you $1000 that your dyno will comeback with a major shortcoming. I bet it will show 20hp or less. For $1850 or whatever you paid for your headers its just not worth it. I see you are in Roselle, I'm downtown near Greektown. Lets meet at Streets of Woodfield, you bring your dynosheet and we'll see for sure how much power increase you got.

So which is it...."Don't make a dime of difference or show 20hp or less"??

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Diablo,

Re-read my post and explain to me how we will accomplish that?????

RD

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headers and full exhaust in a '96-'99 make a big difference.
More like 40-50rwhp. Other years show very little gain.

44rwhp for me with Belanger/RoeHF/borla exhaust.
My friends '01 gained around 12 with belanger/RT HF/Corsa.