Belanger Headers

VipeRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding Belanger Header's with Corsa Mufflers..... Has anyone had any issues with the Headers coming loose or requiring alot of retightening? Or ,are they fairly maintenance free? Thanks for any and all input. :dunno:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
75,000 miles on one set...retightened once...got half a turn or so out of 3 or 4 engine header bolts on the left side. That was over 30K miles ago. Zero issues with anything downstream from there other than replacing blown out race bullet mufflers. I'm actually still running on my 2nd set of mufflers. 43K miles on them.

10,000 miles on another set which does have the Corsa track exhaust........no issues at all there.

Steve

Woops.......missed the forum. Well, they work good on a GEN II. ;)

Last edited:

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Besides coming loose how about heat damage to other parts in the engine compartment steering pump lines, air intake box brake lines anything there are no heat shields I I would like a set on my 09 coupe but I do not want problems are the insall.
Let VipeRay and me know. please!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got 'em on our '05 and never had an issue in 10K+ miles. Have a few friends with them on their '08's and they are very impressed.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the 08-09 headers, the instructions say to retorque the header bolts after 500 miles. My techs did this and I retightened at about 1,000 miles and all but 2 of the bolts were very secure with the remaining 2 just allowing some slight tightening. No issues after 4,200 miles.

Also, Lou Belanger and Jon B who sold me the headers stated that heat shields are not necessary but that you might want to buy something called "snake socks" which literally look like little socks that go over the ignition wires and provide heat insulation. Here's a pic with the "socks" in red:

2008_Viper_w_Belanger_Headers_Exhaust_6_11_08_031.JPG

Hope this helps.

/Rich

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding Belanger Header's with Corsa Mufflers..... Has anyone had any issues with the Headers coming loose or requiring alot of retightening? Or ,are they fairly maintenance free? Thanks for any and all input. :dunno:

Get a 5 into1 header. You will make more power. Especially peak power. B&B makes a good 1 3/4 Stainless steel 5 into 1 header.

Reaction score
Get a 5 into1 header. You will make more power. Especially peak power. B&B makes a good 1 3/4 Stainless steel 5 into 1 header.

You will make more "peak" power but not more power overall, where it matters for normal drivers. 5-1 headers are mostly for drag racers that live in the upper 1500 rpm. FWIW

Reaction score
My "check engine" light came on today... wonder if it's the headers

If you are driving with very little RPM or load for a while the rear 02 sensors can see too much residual fuel and pop a CEL for cat inefficiency. The light will go off with some spirited driving to clear the code. This has been common with owners that are taking trips at low RPM 1400 and less.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes Mark i had seen you post that before... i did try some spirited driving this afternoon and will try again tomorrow......

Luvgoinfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have them on mine actually the full exhaust. Only problem I had was I burnt some wires for the reverse lock out deal. Not the exhaust fault just the people that put it on took it to the dealer all is good now.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have belangers hooked to my Corsa system. Lou made a single cat conversion to connect from his headers to my corsa. I removed the secondary O2 sensors (a must in my opinion) and it has been trouble free.
Let me add one thing about the belangers. Heat is an issue even coated! It broke my heart to cover them back up (they were so perrrrty looking) but they will melt the crap out of any wires and if you leave your car sitting at idle they will boil your clutch fluid (never a good feeling when the pedal goes to the floor!). I wrapped everything I could before I reluctantly went back to the heat shields. The failsafe result for me was wrap the clutch line and put the OEM heat shields back on the drivers side. No heat issues and I track it and have put 6K miles on there with no issues since! You will LOVE the sound heheh

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I second what Shandon said.

Put the OE heat shields back on or you will fry some wires and some fluids.

It cost me an engine wiring harness in my 2004 car and boiled my clutch fluid a couple of times.

..... and if you're stopped by the police or at a smog check station, it makes the headers harder to see ..... and makes the installation look more like OE.

Dan

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second what Shandon said.

Put the OE heat shields back on or you will fry some wires and some fluids.

It cost me an engine wiring harness in my 2004 car and boiled my clutch fluid a couple of times.

..... and if you're stopped by the police or at a smog check station, it makes the headers harder to see ..... and makes the installation look more like OE.

Dan

I am not trying to contradict what either you or Shandon have posted; I would just advise that anyone thinking about the Belanger system should contact Lou Belanger directly about the need for insulation or shielding. He is very accessible. FYI, Lou's numbers are 623-582-5900 or 623-582-8244.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not trying to contradict what either you or Shandon have posted; I would just advise that anyone thinking about the Belanger system should contact Lou Belanger directly about the need for insulation or shielding. He is very accessible. FYI, Lou's numbers are 623-582-5900 or 623-582-8244.

No contradiction with me. I spent a lot of time on the phone with lou. Great guy very helpful highly recommend talking to him also!! He will tell you not to wrap the headers thats for sure. The OEM heat shields work great and allow the headers to breath but not radiate all that heat staight up and especially the clutch line. They just get way close on the drivers side to a lot of improtant goodies under the hood:omg:.

OP
OP
V

VipeRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,thanks for all the information.After seeing all the issues with the heat problems and the fact you have to cover those bad boys up, I'm 2nd guessing as to install or not!
Thanks again,:drive: RAY

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
remember ray these are issues with previous generations.. not generation 4 like your 08

Reaction score
This is very true because of the increased venting the hood has. The clutch with ANY gen4 in stop and go traffic and or a parade will get the fluid hot so don't base it on this theory alone.

remember ray these are issues with previous generations.. not generation 4 like your 08

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness