Best Buy on Helmets?

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need a helmet for the SEZR to drag race and road course. Where is the best place to buy one right now? I want an SA2000 rated helmet for the best price. I prefer black or yellow.

Suggestions???

Thanks!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car helmets come in while or silver- that's it. Nothing like the funky paintjobs on bike helmets.

Helmet City in Ca offers a 10% VCA discount - but helmets all fit differently, so I would think that you'd at least want to try some on, first - or at least a representative one, i.e. one from the same manufacturer, etc.

Vintage Racer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rich

Many companies sell prepainted helmets, but they are usually done up to resemble F1 driver's helmets. Otherwise most helmets come in glossy white.

Make sure you don't buy a motorcycle rated helmet. You will flunk your tech inspection if that's the case.

I've used an excellent helmet painter who is based in Texas, Jack Bich. Here's his website which will give you some ideas for a paint job. www.helmetpainting.com Think about going with something snappier than just a plain color, that's what we do in vintage racing since that's how helmets were painted back in the day. Graphics are now so easy for an artist to do that it's a lot more fun to style your helmet.

Do yourself and your family a favor and buy a good Kevlar full face helmet. This is the time to make an investment in yourself. I've always favored Bell helmets. Many guys I've raced with are fond of the Bell M3, they run $500-600.
http://www.bellracing.com/

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most helmets I have seen are white or black. Some models do offer other colors. I got mine from helmetcity. Great selection and reasonable prices.

OP
OP
V

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you can hold off a little while the next year SA rating should be out in fall

Thanks guys. I need one now for the Viper Club SEZR at the end of July. I appreciate your help. I will get a SA 2000 helmet.

Thanks! Rich

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most sanctioning bodies allow either the current SFI rating or one prior. However, most also specify that a helment cannot be more than 5 years old - total. Therefore, it really makes no difference in the amount of "life" you can get out of a helmet - i.e. an SA 2000 manufactured in 5/2005 will expire in 5 years, as will an SA 2005 manufactured in 11/2005 - even though the SA 2005 helmet will meet the first criterion of eligibility. And really, after 5 years of your sweaty head in there - do ya really want it to last any longer???? :)

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,
Not on any of the helmets we've had - Simpson and Sparco(?) - the stuff is pretty well glued in. We've "lifted" it to install HANS device HW and radio stuff, but not sure I would attempt to remove it all and clean it.

I just plan for a new helmet every few year - most likely less than 5, due to advanced in lighter weight materials, fire retardancy, safety stuff and, quite possibly, any variety of funky odors. ;)

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got lucky and found a full-face G-force, painted with flames, for $200 SA2000

got it at Summit Racing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960